+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Minor (15 y.o.) brother visiting Canada

lex56745

May 12, 2021
Hello everyone. I was wondering if anyone could share their view or experience with me. My family lives in another country and was planning to send my 15 y.o. brother to Canada to visit me for a month during the summer. Are there any issues with minors crossing the borders alone these days?

Also, if my brother manages to come to Canada, what are the quarantine rules? Will he be required to stay in the quarantine hotel for 3 days or he can go straight to my place? Finally, if he stays at my place, do I have to stay in quarantine with him for 2 weeks as well? (likely a silly question, as I suspect the answer is yes, but just wanted some reassurance).

Thanks for taking your time to read this post and providing your thoughts.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello everyone. I was wondering if anyone could share their view or experience with me. My family lives in another country and was planning to send my 15 y.o. brother to Canada to visit me for a month during the summer. Are there any issues with minors crossing the borders alone these days?

Also, if my brother manages to come to Canada, what are the quarantine rules? Will he be required to stay in the quarantine hotel for 3 days or he can go straight to my place? Finally, if he stays at my place, do I have to stay in quarantine with him for 2 weeks as well? (likely a silly question, as I suspect the answer is yes, but just wanted some reassurance).

This is based on current rules. We can't tell you when the rules will change so best to assume these will still be in place when he is visiting,

He will need written permission from his parents to travel as a minor, as well as authorization from IRCC as an extended family member due to COVID. He will need to show his travel is non-discretionary.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/visitors/immediate-family.html#extended

Yes, he will need to quarantine for 3 days in a designated hotel first and then quarantine for the rest of the period in your home.

lex56745

May 12, 2021
This is based on current rules. We can't tell you when the rules will change so best to assume these will still be in place when he is visiting,

He will need written permission from his parents to travel as a minor, as well as authorization from IRCC as an extended family member due to COVID. He will need to show his travel is non-discretionary.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/visitors/immediate-family.html#extended

Yes, he will need to quarantine for 3 days in a designated hotel first and then quarantine for the rest of the period in your home.
Thank you for the information!

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Thank you for the information!
You also need an isolated area for your brother to quarantine at your home. (like a bathroom with bathroom suite)
Otherwise, you have to quarantine with him. (Everyone in your home stay quarantine with him)

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You also need an isolated area for your brother to quarantine at your home. (like a bathroom with bathroom suite)
Otherwise, you have to quarantine with him. (Everyone in your home stay quarantine with him)
The poster meant a bedroom suite with a bathroom.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
A bedroom and bathroom is technically not enough if you are in a small apartment. If you are in a neighbouring room you can't really quarantine from someone in the bedroom next door. The quarantine rules need to be updated and clarified. Places like Nova Scotia have made it really clear. You can't quarantine with a non-traveler in the same home unless there is an a self-contained unit that you can use although given that the brother is a minor the brother could stay in the same home while having no contact and also remaining at home for 14 days.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
A bedroom and bathroom is technically not enough if you are in a small apartment. If you are in a neighbouring room you can't really quarantine from someone in the bedroom next door. The quarantine rules need to be updated and clarified. Places like Nova Scotia have made it really clear. You can't quarantine with a non-traveler in the same home unless there is an a self-contained unit that you can use although given that the brother is a minor the brother could stay in the same home while having no contact and also remaining at home for 14 days.
I agree... but I can only put down what's there... I do not think it's enough as well.

Shahid12

Nov 9, 2019

Did you get the approval for your brother.
I want to apply for my brother aswell

Shahid12

Nov 9, 2019
I want to apply for my brother who is in 9th grade. what can be a good reason to visit, i want the stay to be 3 weeks