+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ministerial Exemptions for Quebec Spousal Sponsorships

Jun 7, 2020
Hi all,
I am sponsoring my common-law partner, and we both reside in Quebec, so we were expecting to get an invite from IRCC to proceed with an Undertaking (to obtain CSQ) which should be a part of the usual process after getting Sponsor eligibility confirmed (which was confirmed back in November 2021) . However, instead, we have received somewhat of a cryptic communication after that.

One of the letters started with this:

"This refers to your application for permanent residence under the « Spouse or Common-Law Partner in Canada ».
Authorization to present such an application from inside Canada may be granted to persons who are able to prove that they meet the definition of a member of this class and the requirements described in section 124 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR). As well, dependant family members included in the application must meet the definition of a family member and the requirements described in section 129 of the IRPR.
Furthermore, according to section 127 of the IRPR, your application must include a sponsorship undertaking which must remain valid until permanent residence is granted.
We are pleased to inform you that you meet all preliminary eligibility requirements of the category and therefore your application for permanent residence is approved. However, a final decision will not be made until all remaining requirements for becoming a permanent resident have been met. You cannot become a permanent resident until you and all your family members have met all the requirements.
You must meet all other statutory requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA)[A21], for example, medical, security and passport requirements before permanent residence may be granted."

Then it goes on to say this:
"Furthermore, as per the Canada/Quebec Agreement, our decision to grant you a ministerial exemption was transferred to the Ministère de l'Immigration, de la Diversité et de l'Inclusion (MIDI) who have issued a “Certificat de Sélection” in your favour.
As your application is processed, separate decisions will be made about whether you meet these other requirements. If more information is required, you will receive a letter asking you to reply within a prescribed delay."

Shortly after this, we received another letter about pre-approval services. All of this, especially the green part leads me to believe that our application took a detour from the standard route, and I am not sure whether this is an invitation to submit the undertaking application( which we were waiting for to do next) or an indication that we still need to wait for such invitation.

The thing is that my common-law partner already had a sponsorship application prior to our relationship, and it was withdrawn by her ex after she received her CoPR, and her break-up was pretty messed up. We included all of the details of her struggles associated with her previous application and I am wondering if that could explain the exemption along with the fact that she also had a CSQ before, which has expired prior to our application.

I was trying to get clarifications from IRCC but no luck getting a hold of an agent over the phone, and also contacted MIFI about this, and they directed me back at IRCC.

Thanks in advance for any input.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi all,
I am sponsoring my common-law partner, and we both reside in Quebec, so we were expecting to get an invite from IRCC to proceed with an Undertaking (to obtain CSQ) which should be a part of the usual process after getting Sponsor eligibility confirmed (which was confirmed back in November 2021) . However, instead, we have received somewhat of a cryptic communication after that.

One of the letters started with this:

"This refers to your application for permanent residence under the « Spouse or Common-Law Partner in Canada ».
Authorization to present such an application from inside Canada may be granted to persons who are able to prove that they meet the definition of a member of this class and the requirements described in section 124 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR). As well, dependant family members included in the application must meet the definition of a family member and the requirements described in section 129 of the IRPR.
Furthermore, according to section 127 of the IRPR, your application must include a sponsorship undertaking which must remain valid until permanent residence is granted.
We are pleased to inform you that you meet all preliminary eligibility requirements of the category and therefore your application for permanent residence is approved. However, a final decision will not be made until all remaining requirements for becoming a permanent resident have been met. You cannot become a permanent resident until you and all your family members have met all the requirements.
You must meet all other statutory requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA)[A21], for example, medical, security and passport requirements before permanent residence may be granted."

Then it goes on to say this:
"Furthermore, as per the Canada/Quebec Agreement, our decision to grant you a ministerial exemption was transferred to the Ministère de l'Immigration, de la Diversité et de l'Inclusion (MIDI) who have issued a “Certificat de Sélection” in your favour.
As your application is processed, separate decisions will be made about whether you meet these other requirements. If more information is required, you will receive a letter asking you to reply within a prescribed delay."

Shortly after this, we received another letter about pre-approval services. All of this, especially the green part leads me to believe that our application took a detour from the standard route, and I am not sure whether this is an invitation to submit the undertaking application( which we were waiting for to do next) or an indication that we still need to wait for such invitation.

The thing is that my common-law partner already had a sponsorship application prior to our relationship, and it was withdrawn by her ex after she received her CoPR, and her break-up was pretty messed up. We included all of the details of her struggles associated with her previous application and I am wondering if that could explain the exemption along with the fact that she also had a CSQ before, which has expired prior to our application.

I was trying to get clarifications from IRCC but no luck getting a hold of an agent over the phone, and also contacted MIFI about this, and they directed me back at IRCC.

Thanks in advance for any input.
You are going through MIDI. Quebec PR applications have additional steps.

Reactions: aboywithastory