+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

minister kenneys announcement

lesterorbeta

Dec 6, 2009
hi would like to know if we are affected by minister kennys announcement that
a limit on the length of time a temporary foreign worker may work in Canada before returning home
is 4 years? read cic webpage. im just wondering because if we foreign workers who do not pass the
pr will be sent home after 4 years????????? please help
lester

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
New rules will limit a temporary worker to a 4 years work permit. After that s/he will need to leave Canada for 4 years before being able to apply again.

According to somebody here who phoned the call centre to ask about this, they were told that the 4 year limit will only start from now so people who are already on a work permit will get 4 more years, not 4 in total. They also plan to make it easier for people who have been on a work permit for a long time to apply for their PR.

If you qualify under CEC, you can also apply after you have left Canada as well as an ongoing CEC application is not affected by leaving Canada.

gwpower

Mar 23, 2010
Please correct me if I am wrong. I have 1 year+ left on my 3 years post grad work permit. Are you saying I actually have another 4 years? If so, do I send my work permit for an extension?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

gwpower said:
Please correct me if I am wrong. I have 1 year+ left on my 3 years post grad work permit. Are you saying I actually have another 4 years? If so, do I send my work permit for an extension?
No you don't. What it means is that a person can be in Canada for a maximum of 4 years on a work permit. It doesn't change the length of time for the various programs.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
gwpower said:
It doesn't mean free 4 year work permits for all. Your PG work permit can still not be extended above 3 years and after that, you would have to get an LMO and apply for a regular work permit and at some point, you would have 4 years on a work permit and get kicked out. Do you not qualify to apply under CEC now? If you do, you should. Otherwise try PNP through your employer.