Minister Kenney applauds RCMP’s citizenship and immigration fraud investigation

Alabaman

Apr 24, 2009
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ottawa, January 7, 2011 — Citizenship, Immigration and Multiculturalism Minister Jason Kenney offered his appreciation today to the Toronto West (Milton) detachment of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) for their ongoing efforts to investigate citizenship and immigration fraud:

“On January 6, 2011, an investigation by the Immigration and Passport and Commercial Crime sections of the RCMP resulted in criminal charges against three individuals who created the appearance that hundreds of individuals living overseas had met the residence obligation required to retain permanent resident status or to obtain Canadian citizenship.

“Residence fraud in the immigration and citizenship programs is a matter of increasing concern. In this investigation alone, 260 files were implicated and five people have obtained Canadian citizenship. Consequences for citizenship fraud may include criminal prosecution, revocation of citizenship and removal from Canada. Permanent residents who commit fraud may lose their permanent resident status and may be subject to removal from Canada. As indicated in media reports, there are a number of other ongoing police investigations regarding potential residence fraud across Canada.

“I am greatly concerned with this situation. This is why I have tabled amendments to the Citizenship Act to strengthen the penalties for both applicants and third parties who assist them in completing a fraudulent application. The proposed new penalty for fraud would be a fine of up to a maximum of $100,000 or five years in prison or both.

“Crooked consultants heap misery upon their victims and pose a serious threat to the integrity of Canada’s immigration system. All levels of government and law enforcement must work together to ensure that those who commit fraud are dealt with appropriately.”

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/releases/2011/2011-01-07.asp

Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/CitImmCanada.

For further information (media only), please contact:

Alykhan Velshi
Minister’s Office
Citizenship and Immigration Canada
Alykhan.Velshi@cic.gc.ca

Media Relations
Communications Branch
Citizenship and Immigration Canada
613-952-1650
CIC-Media-Relations@cic.gc.ca

Egyman

Star Member
Feb 7, 2007
Re: Minister Kenney applauds RCMP's citizenship and immigration fraud investigation

Thanks for sharing the news.

Alabaman

Apr 24, 2009
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Re: Minister Kenney applauds RCMP's citizenship and immigration fraud investigation

RCMP charge 3 in immigration, tax frauds
Last Updated: Friday, January 7, 2011 | 9:13 PM ET

CBC News

An Île-Bizard, Que., man that the RCMP has accused of defrauding taxpayers of nearly half a million dollars will spend the weekend in an Ontario jail before his bail hearing related to 58 charges.

The Mounties say Ahmad El-Akhal, 62, his wife Tahani Mohamad Hassan Ee-Akhal, 53, and Mississauga, Ont., resident Hussam Hassan Ali Saif, 44, were involved in an immigration scam that lasted more than 10 years.

The three appeared before a judge Friday in Brampton, Ont., to face numerous charges.

Saif and Tahani Ee-Akhal were granted bail and are due back in court in two weeks, but Ahmad El-Akhal's bail hearing was set for Tuesday.

RCMP Insp. Art Pittman said Ahmad El-Akhal signed up 300 people in the Middle East for Canadian citizenship while posing as an immigration consultant.

The documents were issued, but none of the people ever came to Canada. Instead, Pittman said, El-Akhal and the others invented Ontario addresses for the new citizens, filed fake income tax returns in their names and received rebates.

"It's alleged that he was facilitating a significant number of people claiming to be living in Canada when in fact they were not. and by virtue of the fact they claimed to be living in Canada they were able to claim tax benefits they were not entitled to," said Pittman.

He said the fraud netted El-Akhal and the others nearly $500,000.

Tahani Ee-Akhal was allowed to return to suburban Montreal after posting $5,000 bail.

Lengthy investigation

The arrest and formal charging of El-Akhal is the result of a 2½-year investigation into more than 140 suspicious cases.

Pittman says police were tipped off by Immigration Canada and the Canada Revenue Agency, and the investigation is not over.

Citizen and Immigration Minister Jason Kenney released a statement Friday saying at least 260 files are being investigated.

Kenney said at least five people received Canadian citizenship fraudulently, and said amendments to the Citizenship Act would increase penalties for this type of fraud to a maximum of five years in prison.

El-Akhal faces 58 charges involving Citizenship Act offences of aiding or abetting the making of a false representation, fraud, concealing material circumstances, Immigration and Refugee Protection Act offences of counselling misrepresentation, which could induce an error in the administration of the act, as well as Criminal Code offences of forgery, uttering a forged document, fraud, conspiracy and possession of proceeds obtained by crime.

Saif is facing three charges under the Citizenship Act for aiding or abetting the making of a false representation, fraud, concealing material circumstances and one conspiracy charge under the Criminal Code.

Tahani El-Akhal is charged along with her husband with possession of proceeds obtained by crime, in the amount of $155,000.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/2011/01/07/immigration-fraud-charges-107.html#ixzz1Aa1cc294

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Kenney said at least five people received Canadian citizenship fraudulently, and said amendments to the Citizenship Act would increase penalties for this type of fraud to a maximum of five years in prison.
Good, but it should be longer.

PommeDeRoute

Star Member
Feb 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

If those implicated in this case are naturalised citizens themselves, they should be stripped of their citizenship and deported. And there is no way they should be running free after posting only $5000 bail. That is outrageous.

I would also be curious to know exactly where in the Middle East these 300 criminals are from. Believe it or not, some Middle Eastern countries are known to be state sponsors of terrorism. There is oh so much terrorists could do once they get their hands on a Canadian passport.

Absolutely outrageous. When is Canada finally going to open its eyes wide enough to prevent these things BEFORE they happen?

allizwell

Jan 23, 2011

Thats a great step by Minister.

I wonder if the honorable Minister will take action against those officer who misuse their authority and cause delay in genuine cases because of their own likinmg and dislikings? My case is a classic example.

I am asked to fill in questionaire because officer said i had ' valid ' UAE residence visa despite the fact that my visa was cancelled with a BIG cancelled in june 2006 with cancellation stamp across it....

The resources, time will be wasted on my genuine case, not to mention the misery and frustration that is being caused to me and my family...