+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Minister Delegate and 1 yr PR CARD

MUSTAFACAN

Mar 14, 2011
Thank you for your detailed reply. I’m in the same boat as you were in 2017.
My 1 yr card expires in july. When should i apply for renewal?
And did they send you the card by mail or ask to pick up? How long did it take for you ti get the card after you sent the application?
You can apply 6 months before the card expired.
Mostly you will be asked to pick the card.

MUSTAFACAN

Mar 14, 2011
You don’t qualify for PR renewal after being in Canada for 730 days given your current status. Did you attempt to contact the minister’s delegate. Your H&C case hasn’t been resolved from 2017. Where is your family?
Bro
I already got two 1 year PR cards. Since 2017. Minister Delagte has not contact me till now.
My family was in India so they had to apply prtd and they got a negative decision . But they were issued 1 yr PRTD ...they came and appealed ...they are allowed to stay. I am hoping as they have been allowed my case will be the same.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Bro
I already got two 1 year PR cards. Since 2017. Minister Delagte has not contact me till now.
My family was in India so they had to apply prtd and they got a negative decision . But they were issued 1 yr PRTD ...they came and appealed ...they are allowed to stay. I am hoping as they have been allowed my case will be the same.
You still don’t qualify to renew your PR card based on being in Canada for 730 days. Have you updated your address with the minister’s delegate?

MUSTAFACAN

Mar 14, 2011
You still don’t qualify to renew your PR card based on being in Canada for 730 days. Have you updated your address with the minister’s delegate?

Plz tell me when I will qualify for renewal?
I understand what you mean...you mean I won't qualify for 5 year PR card ...but for 1 yr PR I will qualify.
Recently my family appeal was allowed and they know my case is with minister delegate...I have never changed my address to update .

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Plz tell me when I will qualify for renewal?
I understand what you mean...you mean I won't qualify for 5 year PR card ...but for 1 yr PR I will qualify.
Recently my family appeal was allowed and they know my case is with minister delegate...I have never changed my address to update .
You need the answer from the Minister’s delegate before you qualify for for a 5 year PR card. Sending in a PR card renewal saying that you have been in Canada for 730 days in the past 5 years does not secure your PR card renewal for 5 years like other applicants that were never reported for not meeting their RO or denied PRTD based on H&C reasons.

MUSTAFACAN

Mar 14, 2011
You need the answer from the Minister’s delegate before you qualify for for a 5 year PR card. Sending in a PR card renewal saying that you have been in Canada for 730 days in the past 5 years does not secure your PR card renewal for 5 years like other applicants that were never reported for not meeting their RO or denied PRTD based on H&C reasons.
Yes I am aware of it. I am just hoping that as I have been here for 730 days in last 5 years...hopefully minister delegate may take a positive decision.
In my situation minister delegate can give a positive deaicion...or just not give any reply...or give a removal order.

If Md doesn't take decision for 1 more year...I can apply for citizenship ...
If Md doesn't take decision till total 5 YRS .then my case will be closed.

I have read every thing.

I hope it's clear

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Yes I am aware of it. I am just hoping that as I have been here for 730 days in last 5 years...hopefully minister delegate may take a positive decision.
THE TECHNICALITIES:

Once a 44(1) Inadmissibility Report for a breach of the Residency Obligation has been issued, days in Canada DO NOT COUNT toward compliance with the PR RO. In particular, IRPA Regulation Section 62(1)(a) states:
" . . . the calculation of days under paragraph 28(2)(a) of the Act in respect of a permanent resident does not include any day after . . . a report is prepared under subsection 44(1) of the Act on the ground that the permanent resident has failed to comply with the residency obligation"​

That said, as often discussed in numerous topics here, days in Canada after being issued a 44(1) Inadmissibility Report are CONSIDERED in weighing H&C factors which might justify retention of PR status. The number of such days, compared to days absent since the report was issued, and compared to extent of the breach at the time the report was issued, matters. BUT ONLY as one H&C factor to be balanced against all the other considerations. Thus, for example, the difference between 675 and 735 (less than 730 versus more than) is of very LITTLE significance.

So, yes, the longer you stay in Canada, the stronger this factor is and is more reason to hope the Minister's Delegate makes a positive H&C decision. Reaching the 730 day threshold itself, however, is of little or no significance in this regard.

In other words: if the PR was in breach of the RO at the time the 44(1) Report was issued, staying in Canada does NOT cure that breach. No matter how long the PR stays in Canada after that, the 44(1) Report remains "valid in law," and the PR is subject to losing PR status UNLESS there are sufficient H&C reasons to justify the PR retaining PR status. In weighing the H&C factors, PR's presence in Canada after the report was issued is a positive factor. How much influence it has varies and is very difficult to forecast.

Overall, staying in Canada does NOT guarantee a positive H&C decision. (As discussed before, in contrast continuing periods of extended absence will almost always be a big negative factor.)

WHAT IS UNUSUAL ABOUT THIS CASE:

We rarely see reports about a 44(1) Inadmissibility Report in limbo pending a Minister's Delegate review. And those are almost all cases in which the 44(1) Report was issued at a PoE when no MD was available, so the PR was allowed to enter Canada and the MD's review was conducted, usually by telephone, in the following weeks or few months.

But we only see a very few, sporadic reports about 44(1) Reports for a breach of the RO issued in the course of inland processing involving a RO compliance determination, such as triggered by a PR card application. The procedure itself is fairly well known and understood, outlined in Operational Manuals, governed by applicable statutes and regulations, and confirmed by some IAD decisions. But some of the in-practice elements remain obscure.

Your case is among the latter. We simply do not see more than an isolated case in which a 44(1) Inadmissibility Report, for a breach of the RO, is in limbo for a lengthy period of time (let alone years) pending a Minister's Delegate review, let alone such cases where the report has been issued in the course of inland processing involving a RO compliance determination.

When I was commenting on your case more than two years ago, for example, I did not anticipate such a lengthy period of time in limbo waiting for a MD's decision. While the IRPA Regulations specifically provide for the issuance of a one-year PR card in situations like yours (see IRPA Regulations Section 54(2)(b), which should be linked here), this is not a commonly reported experience in this forum.

In Any Event:

"If Md doesn't take decision for 1 more year...I can apply for citizenship ..."​

As long as that report is still outstanding the Minister may suspend processing a citizenship application (see Section 13.1(b) Citizenship Act). And as long as the report is still outstanding it seems highly likely that IRCC will suspend processing the citizenship application. That said, this should trigger IRCC to proceed with making a decision as to the Report. And, in that regard, remember that the report remains valid in law no matter how long you have stayed in Canada, so you will still be relying on a favourable H&C decision.

Thus, yes, you can apply. Does not guarantee a grant of citizenship. In particular, it is highly likely there will need to be a conclusive disposition regarding the 44(1) Report BEFORE you will be granted citizenship.

My sense is that it would be prudent to push for a disposition of the 44(1) Report BEFORE applying for citizenship . . . the question being when to do that, which largely depends on the H&C case being strong enough to be confident of a positive outcome, confident enough to force a decision notwithstanding the fact that the 44(1) Report will still be "valid in law," and thus the H&C factors will need to be enough to overcome the breach of the RO.

"If Md doesn't take decision till total 5 YRS .then my case will be closed."​

I am NOT familiar with this. And I am curious if there is a an official source (statute or regulation) or at least authoritative source (IRCC information for example) for this.

I am somewhat skeptical that it works this way. But I do NOT know.

That noted, for a PR who has in the meantime been living in Canada, and who has been physically present more than not (particularly if by a good size margin), this seems like a scenario in which just a demand, consistent with beginning the procedure to seek a writ of mandamus, would almost certainly trigger a decision.

Which again brings up the prospect of applying for citizenship: DEPENDING on other factors (such as whether family members have also settled in Canada and are staying in Canada PERMANENTLY), staying long enough to have been present more than three years in the last five might be enough to similarly make the demand for a determination of status consistent with beginning the procedure to seek a writ of mandamus. Again, remember that the report remains valid in law no matter how long you have stayed in Canada, so you will still be relying on a favourable H&C decision. But I suspect (subject to advice from a competent lawyer), as noted above, it would be better to get a formal decision as to the 44(1) Report BEFORE applying for citizenship.

Reactions: canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
In my situation minister delegate can give a positive deaicion...or just not give any reply...or give a removal order.

If Md doesn't take decision for 1 more year...I can apply for citizenship ...
If Md doesn't take decision till total 5 YRS .then my case will be closed.

I have read every thing.

I hope it's clear
If you remain in Canada for 1 more year you don’t get citizenship because you have not received a response from the minister’s delegate. If you receive a negative response none of your time in Canada since you filed your PRTD based on H&C counts. I assume you may finally trigger a response from the minister’s delegate now that you filed for a PR card based on the 730 days and someone realizes that you are still waiting for an answer from the minister’s delegate. Your 5 year PR card application will be put on hold until you get a response and you will only get the 5 year PR card if you get a positive result.

MUSTAFACAN

Mar 14, 2011
If you remain in Canada for 1 more year you don’t get citizenship because you have not received a response from the minister’s delegate. If you receive a negative response none of your time in Canada since you filed your PRTD based on H&C counts. I assume you may finally trigger a response from the minister’s delegate now that you filed for a PR card based on the 730 days and someone realizes that you are still waiting for an answer from the minister’s delegate. Your 5 year PR card application will be put on hold until you get a response and you will only get the 5 year PR card if you get a positive result.
Thanks for the reply

Just called the call centre...they said my card is sent for pick up and I will receive a letter. They also confirmed it's a 1 year PR Card.
Don't know how long this thing goes on...

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for the reply

Just called the call centre...they said my card is sent for pick up and I will receive a letter. They also confirmed it's a 1 year PR Card.
You should be pushing to get your case resolved with the minister’s delegate. You seem to have been laying low thinking you could just accumulate 730 days and be fine.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Difficult to reasonably advance a discussion when it overlaps multiple threads.

I have addressed the above recent posts at length in the other topic where similar query was posted.

Note: So far as I can discern, is NOT correct to say that days after a 44(1) Report has been issued do NOT count as days physically present in Canada for purposes of grant citizenship eligibility.

Beyond that it is complicated. My in-depth observations AND citation and link to regulations and statutory sources quoted here:

SUMMARY OF MY PREVIOUS POST:

You have a rather unusual case. I do not know what the status is or why it is this way. I do not know what CAN happen next let alone what will happen next. I doubt anyone here can much illuminate the situation for you. PROBABLY TIME TO SEE A COMPETENT LAWYER.

THAT NOTED: It may be time to pursue a Writ of Mandamus. But that is a decision regarding which you really need competent legal advice. And to do it, you will need competent legal representation.

SOME OBSERVATIONS ABOUT CITIZENSHIP ELIGIBILITY:

Without knowing what the underlying issue actually is, an application for citizenship will be, in effect, shooting-in-the-dark. It is NOT likely your case has fallen into a bureaucratic crack. It is far more likely there is SOME CAUSE, some reason why it is where it is. Concern about your compliance with the Residency Obligation APPEARS to be the most likely culprit BUT THIS is FAR FROM CERTAIN.

I suppose an application for citizenship could shake-the-trees (so to say) and what falls out may resolve matters or at least better illuminate the problem. That, however, seems like gambling blind.

And while the Citizenship Act does not appear to impose a prohibition against a grant of citizenship based on an outstanding 44(1) Report, Section 13.1 authorizes the Minister to SUSPEND processing a citizenship application when there is an outstanding issue as to inadmissibility, and to specifically suspend processing pending a determination as to whether a removal order is to be made against the applicant. If (with much emphasis on "IF"), if it is indeed an outstanding, unresolved 44(1) Report for a breach of the RO, that is holding things up for you, it appears 13.1 will apply. Whether or not a Citizenship Officer will actually suspend processing the application based on this I cannot predict.

FRANKLY, to my view there appears to be something in addition to evaluating your compliance with the RO involved in your situation. I do NOT know this. I have little or no idea what that might be. Personally I tend to favour risk-averse approaches, so from my perspective I would want to know more about the situation before forcing IRCC's hand, before shaking-the-trees.

A carefully composed custom ATIP request for records and information MIGHT illuminate more. A generic ATIP request is not likely to illuminate the real issues. So here too, the advice and assistance of a competent lawyer is the more or less obvious way to go.

FRANKLY, HOWEVER, IT STILL COMES BACK TO THIS: You have a rather unusual case. I do not know what the status is or why it is this way. I do not know what CAN happen next let alone what will happen next. I doubt anyone here can much illuminate the situation for you. PROBABLY TIME TO SEE A COMPETENT LAWYER.

If you are referring to what counts as days present in Canada for purposes of a grant citizenship application, this is most likely NOT CORRECT.

In particular, I know of NO authority for this.

It is Section 21 in the Citizenship Act that prescribes time periods that will NOT count, and that section only specifies periods of probation, parole, or imprisonment. And as @MUSTAFACAN referenced, the relevant statutory prohibition is for PRs subject to a "Removal Order," not an outstanding 44(1) Report. Moreover, as I referenced above, where there is an outstanding 44(1) Report, the applicable procedure is for the Minister to "suspend" processing the citizenship application. But this is permissive not mandatory, so IRCC may proceed with the citizenship application anyway (but see my observations above, in effect cautioning against shaking-the-trees without advice from a lawyer).

Otherwise, as long as there is an outstanding 44(1) Report, days in Canada do NOT count toward compliance with the PR Residency Obligation. This is prescribed in the IRPA Regulations, Section 62(1)(a). This Regulation specifically applies only to a calculation of days under Section 28(2)(a) in IRPA and thus has NO APPLICATION to the calculation of days under the Citizenship Act.

Relevant Sources:
-- for Citizenship Act Section 13.1, which provides for suspending citizenship application processing pending determination of a 44(1) Report, see https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-29/page-5.html#h-82034
-- for "Periods not counted as physical presence" for purposes of meeting the grant citizenship physical presence requirement, see Citizenship Act Section 21 here: https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-29/page-6.html#docCont
-- for grant citizenship prohibitions beginning with Section 22 in the Citizenship Act, see https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-29/page-7.html#docCont
-- for statutory provisions prescribing the PR Residency Obligation, Section 28 IRPA, see https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/I-2.5/page-7.html#h-274598
-- for the IRPA Regulation, Section 62(1)(a), which prescribes that days after being issued a 44(1) Report for a breach of the RO do not count toward compliance with the PR RO (Section 28(2)(a) IRPA), see https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-2002-227/page-14.html#h-686425

SamSh

Jun 27, 2019
Hello
Is there any update on your case? I have a few questions for you that need to be answered urgently. Is it possible to get your email address so I can speak to you directly?

Thanks for the reply

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello
Is there any update on your case? I have a few questions for you that need to be answered urgently. Is it possible to get your email address so I can speak to you directly?
Are you in Canada? Did you get your new 1 year PR card?

SamSh

Jun 27, 2019
I’m currently out of Canada. 1 yr pr card expiring soon. I have a 6 month old baby. Just trying to figure out how to travel with her and if it’s a high risk because of covid. Want to come to apply for 1 yr card renewal. My baby is a canadian citizen

trk1

Jul 15, 2014
I’m currently out of Canada. 1 yr pr card expiring soon. I have a 6 month old baby. Just trying to figure out how to travel with her and if it’s a high risk because of covid. Want to come to apply for 1 yr card renewal. My baby is a canadian citizen
I believe you should come to Canada at the earliest. You have a fair chance to have a positive determination / successful appeal, based on BIOC IRPA 25 (1) /67(1)(c) .

I am not a legal expert..so take it as just another view point.

Last edited: