+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Minimum wage for NOC 2174

marc_86

May 29, 2014
Hello guys,

I am planning to apply under CEC using NOC 2174. I have been working as an entry level software developer for almost 1 year now. I recently scored overall 8.5 in IELTS General training.

My only concern is my annual salary. I have been working at $15 hourly rate for 35 hours per week. I didn't have a choice shifting jobs since I was a new graduate with no prior experience. When I checked minimum hourly rate for Software Developer online, it comes out to be about a minimum of $18 hourly.

Now I am worried. Do I stand a chance of getting accepted with my current wage? My job duties match exactly with NOC 2174 and my manager is all glad to help me with a perfect reference letter. It would be great if anyone else with similar experience can share their thoughts here.

Regards

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
marc_86 said:
Hello guys,

I am planning to apply under CEC using NOC 2174. I have been working as an entry level software developer for almost 1 year now. I recently scored overall 8.5 in IELTS General training.

My only concern is my annual salary. I have been working at $15 hourly rate for 35 hours per week. I didn't have a choice shifting jobs since I was a new graduate with no prior experience. When I checked minimum hourly rate for Software Developer online, it comes out to be about a minimum of $18 hourly.

Now I am worried. Do I stand a chance of getting accepted with my current wage? My job duties match exactly with NOC 2174 and my manager is all glad to help me with a perfect reference letter. It would be great if anyone else with similar experience can share their thoughts here.

Regards
There's no such thing as a minimum wage requirement under the CEC. I always say that as long as your salary is somewhat
close to the average, you're good to go. If you make $18/hr and the average is $25/hr then you're all good.
However, if you get paid $12/hr as a rocket scientist and the Canadian average is $90/hr, than that might raise a red flag
when someone assesses your application, you know what I'm saying?

marc_86

May 29, 2014
iam_toby said:
There's no such thing as a minimum wage requirement under the CEC. I always say that as long as your salary is somewhat
close to the average, you're good to go. If you make $18/hr and the average is $25/hr then you're all good.
However, if you get paid $12/hr as a rocket scientist and the Canadian average is $90/hr, than that might raise a red flag
when someone assesses your application, you know what I'm saying?
Thanks for replying. I agree with you and will go on with my application. Just to add, I hope the VO is well-aware of the fact that International graduates from Canadian Institutes will never always land with a high paying job initially. And many of the CEC applicants are those who have just finished 1 year of their first ever job since they are the new graduates without any Canadian experience.

I welcome any more replies or suggestions others may have in this case.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
iam_toby explained it well. Don't worry about your wage.