+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Minimum visa validity to enter Canada - Work permit

Ram89

Star Member
Oct 5, 2018
Hi ,

I have 2.5 months validity on my Canada Work permit . I havent entered canada for a year after getting this WP and this is my first time.

Do I need to carry any proof of why I didnt travel so far or is this a risk to enter canada with 2.5 months of visa validity?

My employer will file for extension after landing and in a week.

Please advise.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
You can enter Canada if
  • You have a valid work permit and normally live in Canada. (You don’t so you must meet the next points7
    • This applies even if you’ve been laid off.
  • You’re a worker who meets all of the following: (need to meet these conditions)
    • has a letter of introduction for a work permit (open or employer-specific)
    • has a valid job offer
    • can work once you enter Canada and complete your 14-day quarantine
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/foreign-workers.html#outside

Ram89

Star Member
Oct 5, 2018
You can enter Canada if
  • You have a valid work permit and normally live in Canada. (You don’t so you must meet the next points7
    • This applies even if you’ve been laid off.
  • You’re a worker who meets all of the following: (need to meet these conditions)
    • has a letter of introduction for a work permit (open or employer-specific)
    • has a valid job offer
    • can work once you enter Canada and complete your 14-day quarantine
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/foreign-workers.html#outside
Thanks.

Does it mean people who satisfy these conditions can enter into Canada even though they have less validity of visa ?
I am worried the border officer might question about my late entry. Do I need any document justifying the delay

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Not knowing what type of permit you have, they may ask because you would have to change your status to visitor and stop working in 2.5 months.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Thanks.

Does it mean people who satisfy these conditions can enter into Canada even though they have less validity of visa ?
I am worried the border officer might question about my late entry. Do I need any document justifying the delay
A letter from your employer stating that they are going to apply for an extension is a good idea.

Reactions: Naturgrl

Smurf_Gimli

Star Member
Feb 25, 2020
Hello everyone,

I hope someone can help me.

I am on a temporary residence visa right now and living with my Spouse (Canadian Citizen).

I've been reading different threads but I am seeking more answers because I am still confused and wanna make it right.

We are going to submit my Inland Spousal visa application hopefully in November and we want to apply also an open work permit. So I found this on IRCC website that I should fill up the IMM 5710 form for Openwork Permit and I cannot find the document checklist for me.

If you can share your knowledge about this please help me. Also if anyone here has any idea about Dubai Police Clearance please help me too. Do I need to attest that PCC in UAE Consulate here in Canada?

Thank you so much and keep safe :)

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Hello everyone,

I hope someone can help me.

I am on a temporary residence visa right now and living with my Spouse (Canadian Citizen).

I've been reading different threads but I am seeking more answers because I am still confused and wanna make it right.

We are going to submit my Inland Spousal visa application hopefully in November and we want to apply also an open work permit. So I found this on IRCC website that I should fill up the IMM 5710 form for Openwork Permit and I cannot find the document checklist for me.

If you can share your knowledge about this please help me. Also if anyone here has any idea about Dubai Police Clearance please help me too. Do I need to attest that PCC in UAE Consulate here in Canada?

Thank you so much and keep safe :)
Best to open a new thread and ask these questions there.