+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Minimum Income for new immigrant sponsoring Parents 2020

trsf01

Feb 20, 2020
Hello all,

I am a Canadian PR who moved to Canada this year after "landing" about 2 years ago since I was working in the US at the time. After moving to Canada, I have made an outland spousal PR sponsorship application for my wife (who is currently living with me) about a month ago and it is still processing. I would like to apply for PR for my parents (since PGP 2020 will open soon) but have the following questions and would really appreciate your help with the answers, thanks!

- I have never filed tax in Canada in the past three years since I did not live here. Next year will be first year when I file tax in Canada. Hence I do not have any CRA notices for income proof in past years. I believe I should be able to meet the minimum income requirements but I only have US tax filing to show as proof. Would this be enough? Or is it compulsory to show CRA notice as proof of income?
- Since I already applied to sponsor my wife's PR, is that a problem if I am trying sponsor my parents as well?

Please advice, I greatly appreciate your time and help!

Regards.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
You aren’t eligible until you have filed Canadian tax returns for 3 years and met LICO for all those years. You can’t include worldwide/US income.

Reactions: trsf01

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello all,

I am a Canadian PR who moved to Canada this year after "landing" about 2 years ago since I was working in the US at the time. After moving to Canada, I have made an outland spousal PR sponsorship application for my wife (who is currently living with me) about a month ago and it is still processing. I would like to apply for PR for my parents (since PGP 2020 will open soon) but have the following questions and would really appreciate your help with the answers, thanks!

- I have never filed tax in Canada in the past three years since I did not live here. Next year will be first year when I file tax in Canada. Hence I do not have any CRA notices for income proof in past years. I believe I should be able to meet the minimum income requirements but I only have US tax filing to show as proof. Would this be enough? Or is it compulsory to show CRA notice as proof of income?
- Since I already applied to sponsor my wife's PR, is that a problem if I am trying sponsor my parents as well?

Please advice, I greatly appreciate your time and help!

Regards.
CRA Notice of Assessment is mandatory.

You can certainly sponsor your parent and spouse at the same time. That's not the problem. Your issue is that US tax returns won't be accepted for parent sponsorship. PGP won't be possible for you in 2020. You're at least 3 years out from qualifying.

Reactions: trsf01