App. Filed.......
26-01-2016
AOR Received.
5-03-2016 / SA 17-03-2016
File Transfer...
28-03-2016
Passport Req..
03-10-2016
In the Middle East version of the Immigrants Guide, it asks under the military service form that any immigrants must show a form indicating completion or exemption from military service.

In my wife's country military service is not even required, so it would not really be possible to get this.

Has anyone else not submitted one along with their application?

Reactions: bahar.april

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
I would include the form, write on it not applicable, and attach a letter explaining that as she is a citizen of the Philippines, where military service is not compulsory, she cannot provide the document.

jr4210

Nov 24, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-01-2016
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
28-03-2016
Passport Req..
03-10-2016
Thank you.

She filled it out mentioning N/A and that it's not compulsory under the 'If no please explain' part, but I'll ask her to attach a separate document to the back explaining this.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
If her explanation fits in the space provided on the form, no need for a separate letter.

jr4210

Nov 24, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-01-2016
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
28-03-2016
Passport Req..
03-10-2016

Side note - that same document (Middle East Imm. Guide) has an Abu Dhabi specific questionnaire towards the very end, where two of the questions ask my wife what my plans are to re-establish myself in Canada giving details etc.

As part of my documents I'm sending many papers showing I prove to return as well as a 4 page explanation as to our plan to return and why etc. Can we simply say 'please refer to sponsor's documents re. intent to return' for those two questions as re-attaching them all is just lots of duplication.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Yes. You do not have to send two copies of evidence. I would write a short answer about your plans to return, then add 'please refer to ...' as you wrote above.

bahar.april

Apr 30, 2018
Hello everyone, hope you're fine.

I am Canadian citizen applying under the family sponsorship for my husband's PR. We live in middle east.
Although military service is compulsory in the country we live in, my husband was exempted for some reasons.

1.Does he have to submit the form(IMM5546)? and where should he type N/A on the form?

It says:
"Document for military service: The principal applicant must submit his/her military service (or exemption) card."

Does he have to have to submit his original exemption card?
or
Does he have to submit a photocopy with its translation?

Thank you in advance

Kedeisha

Champion Member
Apr 15, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I would type N/A

Unless required I would submit a photocopy of this document.

If documents are not in English or French it needs to be translated.

bahar.april

Apr 30, 2018
I would type N/A

Unless required I would submit a photocopy of this document.

If documents are not in English or French it needs to be translated.
Thank you so much for your time.

Where should I type N/A on Form IMM5546?
There is no space to do so.

mandana.yazdanian

Jan 6, 2019
Canada
Category........
FAM
Hi Bahar Jan,

I was wondering if I could get some information regarding the details of how you applied for your husband.

I came across your question regarding the military service requirements and since I was confused about the same thing I thought I'd ask if you submitted the original or photocopy and whether it was accepted?

Also, since my husband is in Iran, can he sign and scan forms and email them to me?

bahar.april

Apr 30, 2018
Hi Bahar Jan,

I was wondering if I could get some information regarding the details of how you applied for your husband.

I came across your question regarding the military service requirements and since I was confused about the same thing I thought I'd ask if you submitted the original or photocopy and whether it was accepted?

Also, since my husband is in Iran, can he sign and scan forms and email them to me?
Hi Mandana Jan,

I have not submitted my forms yet. I don't think it's necessary to send the original card, because they will not return it.
As I know, You have to post the original forms with your signatures. Unfortunately, no emails or scanning.
We are going to post it too.

bahar.april

Apr 30, 2018
Hi Mandana Jan,

Hope you are doing well. I have not submitted the forms yet.

I will send a copy of the exemption card(Military Service), because the immigration office won't send it back.

I will post every thing because they want a signature on the forms. No emails or scanning.

Hope it's useful.

Reactions: mandana.yazdanian

mandana.yazdanian

Jan 6, 2019
Canada
Category........
FAM
Hi Mandana Jan,

Hope you are doing well. I have not submitted the forms yet.

I will send a copy of the exemption card(Military Service), because the immigration office won't send it back.

I will post every thing because they want a signature on the forms. No emails or scanning.

Hope it's useful.
Thanks a lot for replying.
I submitted my application 10 days ago but unfortunately we had to send in the scanned version of signatures, we had the original signatures but the very last minute I realized the forms were updated as of November 2018 and he had signed the old version so we submitted the scanned signature hoping they would stick to what it says on their website. By the way, make sure your husband signs IMM 5669, I've read it multiple times on this forum that people mistakenly don't sign it, thinking that they have electronically signed it by typing their name. :)

"Signatures
If signatures are missing, we will return the application without processing it.

Note: IRCC will normally accept forms with photocopies of signatures. However, you may be asked to provide the original copy of your forms with an original signature if an IRCC officer determines it is necessary."

zahramaslavi

Apr 9, 2018
Hi,
CIC requested my husband's military service completion or exemption document. However my husband neither took military service, nor is eligible for exemption. (My husband and I are from Iran)

Does anyone have a similar experience or have any suggestion on what to do in this situation?
My only thought is to send a letter explaining why he did not take the military service and why he is not eligible for exemption. But is it possible that we get rejected for this reason?

sohrabp

Star Member
Jan 26, 2019
Hi,
CIC requested my husband's military service completion or exemption document. However my husband neither took military service, nor is eligible for exemption. (My husband and I are from Iran)

Does anyone have a similar experience or have any suggestion on what to do in this situation?
My only thought is to send a letter explaining why he did not take the military service and why he is not eligible for exemption. But is it possible that we get rejected for this reason?

Hi Zahra,

I wonder if you provided them the certified copy and the translation. If you did not then you should do it and also the related form. I myself had the same situation and submitted the related form and certified copy of exemption cart and the notarize translation