+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Middle Name

Rinka567

Star Member
May 30, 2018
Should I include my middle name in my given name. My middle name is my former surname. The one I used before I got married.

For example:
Surname: Cruz
Given name: Anne
Middle name: Peralta

Thank you very much.

Synoptic

Jan 20, 2018
Should I include my middle name in my given name. My middle name is my former surname. The one I used before I got married.

For example:

Thank you very much.
It's up to you. I've seen applicants including their middle name to their given name(s), and I've seen others not doing the same. No effect on their applications.

In my case, we've included our middle names when I was sponsored by my parent and now as the sponsor myself.

Last edited:

PrincessCRV

Star Member
Jun 26, 2018
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
07-05-2018
AOR Received.
15-06-2018
Med's Request
20-06-2018
Med's Done....
10-07-2018
Passport Req..
21-08-2018
VISA ISSUED...
29-08-2018

For example:

Thank you very much.
You will want your PR card to match your passport, so you should use the names listed on your passport. If your middle name is on there, you should include it. Not to mention, it is always helpful to have your former surname listed on a legal document. I have run into a few situations where my maiden name wasn't changed to my married name yet, and having both names on my ID saved me from having to come back with my marriage certificate.

Rinka567

Star Member
May 30, 2018
Thank you so much for your response. I really appreciate it. I guess it's better to include the middle name. I just got confused because in my passport given name is only my first name then middle name is my surname before I got married.

Jhereign

Jan 22, 2022
You will want your PR card to match your passport, so you should use the names listed on your passport. If your middle name is on there, you should include it. Not to mention, it is always helpful to have your former surname listed on a legal document. I have run into a few situations where my maiden name wasn't changed to my married name yet, and having both names on my ID saved me from having to come back with my marriage certificate.
Hi, I have the same concern. Where in the application form do I add my middle name (My family name when I was single)?

Thanks.

Jazzed

Star Member
Jan 15, 2022
You want to make sure your application matches your passport. So if your former surname is being used as a middle name as in the example above you would put it in the given name section exactly as shown on your passport

Last edited:

Jhereign

Jan 22, 2022
You want to make sure your application matches your passport. So if your former surname is bring used as a middle name as in the example above you would put it in the given name section exactly as shown on your passport
I'm still confused because in the Generic Application Form for Canada [IMM 0008] in personal details number 1. do I include my middle name (which is my family name when I was single) in the given name?

But in number 2. there's also a question asking if you have used a maiden name? So, I also need to fill that out and put my Family name (when I was single), Given name together with my middle name (when I was single)?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I'm still confused because in the Generic Application Form for Canada [IMM 0008] in personal details number 1. do I include my middle name (which is my family name when I was single) in the given name?

But in number 2. there's also a question asking if you have used a maiden name? So, I also need to fill that out and put my Family name (when I was single), Given name together with my middle name (when I was single)?
It would help others answer you if you explained what is in your passport.

That's what matters.

Please also put the field names - does it refer to your 'middle name' as maiden name, or what exactly?

Jazzed

Star Member
Jan 15, 2022

When you are answering question 1 you would put the information exactly as it is on your passport NO differences.

When you are answering if you used alias etc you would put the name use used before. I would assume since you weren't married when using that name your family name would be your surname and not being used as a middle name

But as armoured said put the format and you may get more clarity Also I know it cost but sometimes especially when you aren't sure how to fill out the forms it pays to hire a lawyer to do this. Sometimes it's the smallest mistakes cause the biggest headaches

Last edited:

Jhereign

Jan 22, 2022
It would help others answer you if you explained what is in your passport.

That's what matters.

Please also put the field names - does it refer to your 'middle name' as maiden name, or what exactly?
My apologies. I have the same scenario and question with the person who started this discussion (Rinka). Here's what's in my passport.

(Sample Only)
Surname: Doe
Given name: Jane
Middle name: Smith

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
My apologies. I have the same scenario and question with the person who started this discussion (Rinka). Here's what's in my passport.

(Sample Only)
Surname: Doe
Given name: Jane
Middle name: Smith
Then Jane and Smith are your given names.

If you want to change it, separate question, but that's what it is now.

I f you'd prefer to drop the middle name, that won't be too complicated eventually.

Jhereign

Jan 22, 2022
Thank you so much for all your responses. I appreciate it. I got confused, but everything is clear now. :)

Nustinism

May 18, 2021
Hi to all! I got a question:

for Instamce my nameon my passport is

surname: Jackson
Given name/s: Albert John
Middle name(mother's ne before marriage): Rose

but the generic form when I applied for work permit, there is no middle name section. So I dropped the Rose (middle name) and put Two given names and surname.

i got a visa to canada: Albert John Jackson
But my passport is: Albert John Rose Jackson

and stillthenport of entry allowed me to come in.
Now, thats what my documents shows.

i am ready to apply for PR , but the generic form doesnt include the Middle name again.

will that be okay?
Health card- No middle name
Work Permit- No middle name
Sin- no middle name
Driver's license- With middle name
I need your opinion on this matter.
Thank you all!!!