Dec 10, 2018
Calgary
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Sydney
App. Filed.......
12-10-2018
For all of us who received the answer that Mexico is providing essential services bla bla bla... And our spousal file is pending....Here is the list of ESSENTIAL SERVICES provided (keep reading until the end you see what are the priorityes in this country):

MONTREAL -- To curb the spread of COVID-19, the government ordered all non-essential businesses to close their doors until Jan. 11.

The following are those businesses considered essential:

Grocery stores and other food stores

Drugstores - only for everyday essentials

Hardware stores - only for products required to carry out exterior maintenance, repairs, or construction

Service stations

Animal feed and supply stores

Farm product stores

Medical product stores

SAQ stores ESSENTIAL ALCOOL TO GET PEPLLE DRUNK

SQDC stores ESSENTIAL MARIJUANA TO GET HIGH

For more information on the restrictions, visit the government's site.
I get how at first glance this looks unfair, and how you can feel upset about it. However, this seems to me to be a very short-sighted understanding of the real situation:

1) Our hospitals cannot currently handle any more patients. If alcohol is not easily available for alcoholics, they will either go into withdrawal - which can be life threatening and require hospitalization, OR, they will drink whatever they can find - again life-threatening and requiring hospitalization. From a system planning perspective, it makes all the sense in the world to keep alocholics and drug addicts safe. And by the way, those are peoples' children, parents, relatives, friends, spouses etc - and addictions are a disease that change the brain's chemistry and make it almost impossible to live without the substance - so don't tell me that alcoholics or drug addicts could choose not to put themselves in harm's way during a pandemic.

2) Often, when we talk of our immigration files (and ours has been lagging for 27 MONTHS) we are talking about activities on our files that are taking place in other countries. Everyone wants Canada to open up their embassies and VACs to full strength in those countries, so we can get our files processed. The sense of egotism in this sentiment is mind-boggling. Guess what?
- in the country where your file is being processed, they likely do not have a health system like we do (as ours is one of the best in the world). So, they may be really overwhelmed
- in the country where your file is being processed, there may be stay at home orders, or the transit system has stopped. Why? Because so many people are actually sick (Don't believe the numbers on the worldmeter - it's much worse than that) that they don't come to work, and the infrastructure suffers.
- in the country where your file is being processed, some of those local embassy officials and workers may have died, and hiring, training and replacing that knowledge is VERY difficult - especially during a pandemic.
- in the country where your file is being processed, they may have to do background checks from other countries, or other inland agencies that are just as affected by COVID as the embassy or VAC. So information takes longer to process and receive.
-in the country where your file is being processed, it is entirely possible that the scale of suffering and sickness is beyond your imagination - because health care there does NOT look like health care here. And at the end of the day, everyone working on our files loves their family and wants them to live, and wants to live themselves - as much as you do, so they may just be trying to live through this pandemic.

3. You may be someone who thinks that COVID isn't really that bad. You may think our hospitals and hospitals in other countries are exaggerating about the strain. And maybe you are young, so you don't think COVID will affect you. Fantastic. But if you break a leg that requires plastic surgery - you may not get that surgery and you will be disabled your entire life from your gimpy leg - because the ORs are filled with COVID patients OR for every 5 patients we get, it shuts down an entire OR because staff have to be redeployed. You may have a heart attach or a stroke, and not get the care you need because there are no health care workers left to treat you. They are all already busy, or sick. These issues are multiplied exponentially in a health care system that is not as good as ours. Countries need to take care of their own.

It is what it is. I am a systems thinker for my career (system health care planning, policy and implementation - senior level) - so I hope that this explanation sheds some perspective on it. Does it suck? Absolutely. I want to see my husband whom I haven't seen in a year. Our file was sent on October 4,2018 and arrived on October 12, 2018. We are losing years of our married life. But we are alive and healthy. I don't want any worker in a foreign country to die just because we demanded that they work on our files in an unsafe situation.

Reactions: CCarter

covid

Aug 11, 2020
I get how at first glance this looks unfair, and how you can feel upset about it. However, this seems to me to be a very short-sighted understanding of the real situation:

1) Our hospitals cannot currently handle any more patients. If alcohol is not easily available for alcoholics, they will either go into withdrawal - which can be life threatening and require hospitalization, OR, they will drink whatever they can find - again life-threatening and requiring hospitalization. From a system planning perspective, it makes all the sense in the world to keep alocholics and drug addicts safe. And by the way, those are peoples' children, parents, relatives, friends, spouses etc - and addictions are a disease that change the brain's chemistry and make it almost impossible to live without the substance - so don't tell me that alcoholics or drug addicts could choose not to put themselves in harm's way during a pandemic.

2) Often, when we talk of our immigration files (and ours has been lagging for 27 MONTHS) we are talking about activities on our files that are taking place in other countries. Everyone wants Canada to open up their embassies and VACs to full strength in those countries, so we can get our files processed. The sense of egotism in this sentiment is mind-boggling. Guess what?
- in the country where your file is being processed, they likely do not have a health system like we do (as ours is one of the best in the world). So, they may be really overwhelmed
- in the country where your file is being processed, there may be stay at home orders, or the transit system has stopped. Why? Because so many people are actually sick (Don't believe the numbers on the worldmeter - it's much worse than that) that they don't come to work, and the infrastructure suffers.
- in the country where your file is being processed, some of those local embassy officials and workers may have died, and hiring, training and replacing that knowledge is VERY difficult - especially during a pandemic.
- in the country where your file is being processed, they may have to do background checks from other countries, or other inland agencies that are just as affected by COVID as the embassy or VAC. So information takes longer to process and receive.
-in the country where your file is being processed, it is entirely possible that the scale of suffering and sickness is beyond your imagination - because health care there does NOT look like health care here. And at the end of the day, everyone working on our files loves their family and wants them to live, and wants to live themselves - as much as you do, so they may just be trying to live through this pandemic.

3. You may be someone who thinks that COVID isn't really that bad. You may think our hospitals and hospitals in other countries are exaggerating about the strain. And maybe you are young, so you don't think COVID will affect you. Fantastic. But if you break a leg that requires plastic surgery - you may not get that surgery and you will be disabled your entire life from your gimpy leg - because the ORs are filled with COVID patients OR for every 5 patients we get, it shuts down an entire OR because staff have to be redeployed. You may have a heart attach or a stroke, and not get the care you need because there are no health care workers left to treat you. They are all already busy, or sick. These issues are multiplied exponentially in a health care system that is not as good as ours. Countries need to take care of their own.

It is what it is. I am a systems thinker for my career (system health care planning, policy and implementation - senior level) - so I hope that this explanation sheds some perspective on it. Does it suck? Absolutely. I want to see my husband whom I haven't seen in a year. Our file was sent on October 4,2018 and arrived on October 12, 2018. We are losing years of our married life. But we are alive and healthy. I don't want any worker in a foreign country to die just because we demanded that they work on our files in an unsafe situation.
Great advice!!!!
Let's all make sure in the name of Canadian government in these hard times the alcoholics can get their booze and the drug addict can buy their dose legally...
Also lets make sure that in the 21st century IRCC still work with pen and paper and DO NOT move their files from countries like Mexico that unfortunately do not have the MAGNIFICENT Canadian health care.
For all of us waiting 27 months (such as yourself) or god knows how long... We can wait until the precious Government workers will decide is absolutely safe for them to return to work... On the other hand we have no problem sending our teenagers to work in groceries and other essential businesses. Right?

Ain't that wonderful?

Last edited:
Reactions: mandy24

AndujarMichala

Jul 29, 2020
Hello everyone I applied last year December 2019 and we have passed our year mark. I havent heard anything since March so I ordered my notes back in August all it showed me was that they havent worked on it since beginning of March. In October I read through the notes again and noticed they meant to send me the medical and they did not. So I emailed them and I got the medical request 2 days later. We have done it and now in ecas it says we begun processing your application. Wth does that even mean I applied in December 2019. So I ordered my notes again today and hopefully there is some progress or they are actually working on the application. I know everyone is super stressed out but one day we will all be reunited with our loved ones.

rvp22

Oct 25, 2020
Hello everyone I applied last year December 2019 and we have passed our year mark. I havent heard anything since March so I ordered my notes back in August all it showed me was that they havent worked on it since beginning of March. In October I read through the notes again and noticed they meant to send me the medical and they did not. So I emailed them and I got the medical request 2 days later. We have done it and now in ecas it says we begun processing your application. Wth does that even mean I applied in December 2019. So I ordered my notes again today and hopefully there is some progress or they are actually working on the application. I know everyone is super stressed out but one day we will all be reunited with our loved ones.
hi, i am a december 2019 applicant too. please if you have some news when you receive the notes, please post it here. thank you and keep strong!! :)

Reactions: AndujarMichala

laleona

Dec 10, 2018
Calgary
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Sydney
App. Filed.......
12-10-2018
Great advice!!!!
Let's all make sure in the name of Canadian government in these hard times the alcoholics can get their booze and the drug addict can buy their dose legally...
Also lets make sure that in the 21st century IRCC still work with pen and paper and DO NOT move their files from countries like Mexico that unfortunately do not have the MAGNIFICENT Canadian health care.
For all of us waiting 27 months (such as yourself) or god knows how long... We can wait until the precious Government workers will decide is absolutely safe for them to return to work... On the other hand we have no problem sending our teenagers to work in groceries and other essential businesses. Right?

Ain't that wonderful?
I understand that everyone is frustrated - so are my husband and myself, and our kids.
The issue isn't only paper-based applications. Part of working in the health care system (and before that with a provincial government body as a senior advisor) is the adherence to privacy legislation. When you fill out your application, it often says "protected when complete". That means, essentially, is that the information contained in those documents is private and must be protected.

Lots of people float the idea of embassy staff working from home, and dealing with our files electronically. To work from home with protected information, many things need to be considered:
- does the staffer have a private place to work apart from the family (again, in other countries conditions are often more crowded, and people don't have the luxury of a home office)
- is the internet private and secure? Who pays for it? In many countries, internet is much worse, and if you do have it accessible in your home, you may be selling time online to your friends and neighbours - everyone wants to use it.
- can you be sure that no family member will see the information you are working with?
- do you have a secure place where you can LOCK your laptop whenever you are not working? Do you even have a government-issued secure laptop? Or did they just have desktops in the VAC or embassy offices?

Do you have any idea how long it takes to procure ANYTHING in government services? Without even mentioning procuring anything in a foreign country. And by the way, there is no money for new procurements. Getting new money for procurement - you usually have to wait until the middle of next fiscal to get it. So let me break that down for you: Fiscal is April 1 - March 30th. About June of this year, the IRCC would have probably realized that they need more $$ to cope with overseas files and mobilize their workforce to deal with this new reality. They put in budget requests after writing plans and getting them approved through umpteen levels of signatures. Then it goes to budget committee. They might KNOW that they are getting more money by...late February 2021. The money actually gets deposited May/June 2021, and THEN they go through procurement. That may take another 8 months, and after that you need an implmentation plan. You can't update a dinosaur system with old software easily. It would take waves of coordinated effort - maybe 5-6 years' worth. Ask me how I know.
And do you know why that long painful process is in place? So there are checks and balances on spending our taxpayor dollars. Which is what we want.

It seems SO easy to solve all of this from where we sit. I get it. And yes, the federal government is a dinosaur - no doubt about it. Crumbling infrastructure and the like. But if you put spending on COVID relief, roads, new energy, vaccines, long-overdue indigenous reconciliation, safe drinking water - basically WHATEVER you can think of that is based in Canada, immigration issues really aren't at the top of the heap. And for all the other reasons I mentioned, us demanding that VACs and embassies open fully in countries that are poorly equipped to deal with the pandemic is the epitome of privilege.

A better focus might be to demand the cessation of interviews for the time being, or interviews upon landing, and a review system for spouses that is equitable to that of students and rich people that want to come to Canada - as they all seem to be able to stay without the scrutiny that spouses face.

Reactions: CCarter

patvicto

Champion Member
Mar 18, 2019
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
2019-02-19
Doc's Request.
2020-02-14
AOR Received.
2019-03-26
File Transfer...
2019-10-25
Med's Request
2019-03-30
Med's Done....
2019-04-23
Passport Req..
2020-10-01
VISA ISSUED...
2020-10-14
https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2020/12/pre-departure-covid-19-testing-and-negative-results-to-be-required-for-all-air-travellers-coming-to-canada.html

For those that are to get the Visa and PR, please read this before leaving. Starting up january 7th.

The Minister of Transport, the Honourable Marc Garneau, is requiring that, effective January 7, 2021, at 12:01 a.m. EST, all air passengers five years of age or older will be required to test negative for COVID-19 before travelling from another country to Canada.

(Obviously the tests are at the passagers fees)

Last edited:

Melp

Star Member
Jan 3, 2020
Did anyone’s sponsorship application go to Trinidad and are still waiting for interview because the border is close? PA from Guyana. This is ridiculous our application is 20 MONTHS in. Please share
I suggest we should all write an email to Trinidad immigration so they can see that so many people are in distress about this. Covid and border closing should not be the cause for all of our papers to be on delay. They are suppose to have an alternate solution.

Reactions: princess7880

princess7880

Star Member
Oct 8, 2019
Did anyone’s sponsorship application go to Trinidad and are still waiting for interview because the border is close? PA from Guyana. This is ridiculous our application is 20 MONTHS in. Please share
I suggest we should all write an email to Trinidad immigration so they can see that so many people are in distress about this. Covid and border closing should not be the cause for all of our papers to be on delay. They are suppose to have an alternate solution.
Absolutely, couldn't agree more