8-11-2012
Passport Req..
March 15, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
April 1st, 2013
LANDED..........
April 17, 2013
just a quick question to anyone

if my spouse want to bring $60,000 from Mexico...how can we do it so we dont have to pay any taxes...is it legal to do that?

edgarsitow

Sep 11, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
September 19 2009
Doc's Request.
April 26, 2012, ARC Request on August 31, 2012
File Transfer...
14 October 2009 to Mexico City (Original) April 04, 2012 (re-processing after appeal allowed)
Med's Request
April 26, 2012
Med's Done....
September 07, 2009 (Original) April 30, 2012 (After appeal allowed)
Interview........
March 23, 2010 DENIED, Filed appeal September 2010
Passport Req..
November 05, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
November 06, 2012
LANDED..........
November 17, 2012
Dazz13 said:
just a quick question to anyone

if my spouse want to bring $60,000 from Mexico...how can we do it so we dont have to pay any taxes...is it legal to do that?
60,000 dollars, or pesos? You could always share it with fellow forumers ;) LOL I'm kidding.

If it's dollars then the amount has to be declared to CBSA when he lands, otherwise he/she is liable to fine and/or jail time. yikes! If it's less than $10,000 Dollars then there's no need to declare the amount.

edgarsitow

Sep 11, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
September 19 2009
Doc's Request.
April 26, 2012, ARC Request on August 31, 2012
File Transfer...
14 October 2009 to Mexico City (Original) April 04, 2012 (re-processing after appeal allowed)
Med's Request
April 26, 2012
Med's Done....
September 07, 2009 (Original) April 30, 2012 (After appeal allowed)
Interview........
March 23, 2010 DENIED, Filed appeal September 2010
Passport Req..
November 05, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
November 06, 2012
LANDED..........
November 17, 2012
canadiangirl78 said:
Hmmm. Well it doesn't matter much. You'll get your PR card around the estimated date. We got ours late but he also hasn't really needed it. Nice to get though!

So how is everything going in Canada, edgar? We had a tougher adjustment period than expected but you've been to Canada before.
Yeah I don't really need my PR card, but I still get asked for ID if I wanna have a beer or two, so carrying my passport around on a weekend is definitely a burden and not something I like to do :p

Everything is going well so far. We had a few hiccups when trying to find an apartment in Montreal, but it was mainly because of money issues (Immigration drained us). Other than that it's been great. We're in Hamilton right now, but on Jan 3rd I move to Montreal and my wife will follow shortly after I get a stable job.

We went to Montreal for a week and it was a very productive trip. I found a place to stay, I managed to get a cellphone plan, opened a bank account and registered for some advanced French lessons during the evening (5 years away WILL make your French a bit rusty, but I'm still fairly fluent).

I got to see some old friends in both cities, I also went back to my former high school and surprised some of my teachers. Overall it's been great. Having your PR just makes everything magically accessible. :)

Why was the adjustment tougher for you guys?

Dazz13

Star Member
Nov 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
4-10-2012
AOR Received.
5-10-2012
File Transfer...
2-11-2012
Med's Done....
8-11-2012
Passport Req..
March 15, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
April 1st, 2013
LANDED..........
April 17, 2013
edgarsitow said:
60,000 dollars, or pesos? You could always share it with fellow forumers ;) LOL I'm kidding.

If it's dollars then the amount has to be declared to CBSA when he lands, otherwise he/she is liable to fine and/or jail time. yikes! If it's less than $10,000 Dollars then there's no need to declare the amount.
Yes, I know about the $10,000 rule but she has savings and some properties so at first she wants to bring some money and I wanted to know if we could just make a transfer without having to pay any taxes or will our government tax that money?

canadiangirl78

Champion Member
Mar 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 21
AOR Received.
Mississauga: May 10, Mexico: June 4
File Transfer...
May 16
Med's Done....
Dec 21, 2011
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
July 6
VISA ISSUED...
July 13
LANDED..........
August 2, 2012
edgarsitow said:
Yeah I don't really need my PR card, but I still get asked for ID if I wanna have a beer or two, so carrying my passport around on a weekend is definitely a burden and not something I like to do :p

Everything is going well so far. We had a few hiccups when trying to find an apartment in Montreal, but it was mainly because of money issues (Immigration drained us). Other than that it's been great. We're in Hamilton right now, but on Jan 3rd I move to Montreal and my wife will follow shortly after I get a stable job.

We went to Montreal for a week and it was a very productive trip. I found a place to stay, I managed to get a cellphone plan, opened a bank account and registered for some advanced French lessons during the evening (5 years away WILL make your French a bit rusty, but I'm still fairly fluent).

I got to see some old friends in both cities, I also went back to my former high school and surprised some of my teachers. Overall it's been great. Having your PR just makes everything magically accessible. :)

Why was the adjustment tougher for you guys?
Oh I understand. We were very anxious for the card. Hopefully you get it ahead of schedule.

Sounds like you are getting settled in. My husband and I are planning on doing a quick trip to Montreal. Hotels are expensive though!

I bet seeing old friends and teachers was really nice. I know returning to Canada has been amazing for me. Lots of childhood memories and connecting with longtime friends.

Our landing was rough because my husband is now banned from the US, where his family is. And only one of his brothers can leave the US because he is a citizen now. So leaving his mother, two brothers, nieces/nephews etc was quite traumatic. Leaving his job, his friends, where he grew up. It was rougher than I expected. Then he decided to do a career change which I am happy about but it takes time because you cannot get hired without experience. We expected him to get a good full time job fairly easily but now he has to start from the bottom. That is hard on him but he'll be a great (CGA) accountant one day.

Dazz13

Star Member
Nov 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
4-10-2012
AOR Received.
5-10-2012
File Transfer...
2-11-2012
Med's Done....
8-11-2012
Passport Req..
March 15, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
April 1st, 2013
LANDED..........
April 17, 2013
so today my wife received thr PGR...tomorrow she is on her way to Mexico City to finish of the other police report and she will drop all the documents off at the Embassy....does anyone have any idea what the next step will be and approximately how long it may take? She did verify the Embassy will be open tomorrow...

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dazz13 said:
Yes, I know about the $10,000 rule but she has savings and some properties so at first she wants to bring some money and I wanted to know if we could just make a transfer without having to pay any taxes or will our government tax that money?
If you transfer it (eg wire) the funds, the bank takes care of reporting the transaction for you. If you hand carry the funds she'll need to declare them at the border if they exceed 10k CDN. The reporting is for money tracking purposes, not taxes (i.e., prevent/identify money laundering).

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dazz13 said:
so today my wife received thr PGR...tomorrow she is on her way to Mexico City to finish of the other police report and she will drop all the documents off at the Embassy....does anyone have any idea what the next step will be and approximately how long it may take? She did verify the Embassy will be open tomorrow...
If they asked for the PGR and also asked for other evidence on your relationship, then they will assess that and get back to you with further requests if needed (and/or an interview request). If they did not ask for additional evidence, then they have likely assessed your relationship and once they wrap up security and background checks they will issue the passport request.

Dazz13

Star Member
Nov 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
4-10-2012
AOR Received.
5-10-2012
File Transfer...
2-11-2012
Med's Done....
8-11-2012
Passport Req..
March 15, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
April 1st, 2013
LANDED..........
April 17, 2013
OhCanadiana said:
If they asked for the PGR and also asked for other evidence on your relationship, then they will assess that and get back to you with further requests if needed (and/or an interview request). If they did not ask for additional evidence, then they have likely assessed your relationship and once they wrap up security and background checks they will issue the passport request.
They have never asked for any more "evidence" of our relationship but as i mentioned a couple of weeks back when you and I were discussing the different types of police reports (PGR and SSP)...they will both be completed and delivered tomorrow...so my question is do you think they will possibly still ask for more evidence of our relationship or anything else (we submitted all details they initially asked for and fully paid for all fees when we submitted these forms) or is this normally the last question and then they either say yes...and PPR or NO and we have to appeal?

the reason I ask is because when I was reading a few weeks back I cant remember who said it but they did say it normally takes from 1 to 2 weeks after the PGR and SSP and then they ask for the PPR!

sorry to keep bothering you but you are sooooooo helpful!

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dazz13 said:
They have never asked for any more "evidence" of our relationship but as i mentioned a couple of weeks back when you and I were discussing the different types of police reports (PGR and SSP)...they will both be completed and delivered tomorrow...so my question is do you think they will possibly still ask for more evidence of our relationship or anything else (we submitted all details they initially asked for and fully paid for all fees when we submitted these forms) or is this normally the last question and then they either say yes...and PPR or NO and we have to appeal?

the reason I ask is because when I was reading a few weeks back I cant remember who said it but they did say it normally takes from 1 to 2 weeks after the PGR and SSP and then they ask for the PPR!

sorry to keep bothering you but you are sooooooo helpful!
I remember having 2 conversations re police reports and didn't remember with certainty if they had asked for them officially (thought so but wasn't 100% sure).

It is more likely than not that they have assessed your application already if they didn't ask for any other evidence.

Re timing, it can take more than 1-2 weeks even if everything has been assessed already before you get the PPR so don't get discouraged if it takes some time before you hear back.

Dazz13

Star Member
Nov 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
4-10-2012
AOR Received.
5-10-2012
File Transfer...
2-11-2012
Med's Done....
8-11-2012
Passport Req..
March 15, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
April 1st, 2013
LANDED..........
April 17, 2013
OhCanadiana said:
I remember having 2 conversations re police reports and didn't remember with certainty if they had asked for them officially (thought so but wasn't 100% sure).

It is more likely than not that they have assessed your application already if they didn't ask for any other evidence.

Re timing, it can take more than 1-2 weeks even if everything has been assessed already before you get the PPR so don't get discouraged if it takes some time before you hear back.
I wish you would have lied to me and said yes...only two weeks max...hahahaha...just kidding!

so far, everything you've told me has been 100% factual...I cant tell you enough how valuable you are so once again...thank you very much for your help!

ohhh...but...it can be 1 - 2 weeks though right?

canadiangirl78

Champion Member
Mar 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 21
AOR Received.
Mississauga: May 10, Mexico: June 4
File Transfer...
May 16
Med's Done....
Dec 21, 2011
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
July 6
VISA ISSUED...
July 13
LANDED..........
August 2, 2012
My husband just got his second part time job. ;D After being undocumented in the US and being extremely limited in his options, this is really amazing for us. This second job is seasonal and the first is not a lot of hours but a month ago, it seemed like he was getting nowhere. Thank you Canada!

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dazz13 said:
I wish you would have lied to me and said yes...only two weeks max...hahahaha...just kidding!

so far, everything you've told me has been 100% factual...I cant tell you enough how valuable you are so once again...thank you very much for your help!

ohhh...but...it can be 1 - 2 weeks though right?
I wish I could have told you it would have been immediate, but alas, unfortunately 'tis not so. It can be very quick...but it can also take a (long) time so just don't get your hopes too high. That way you can be happy when it comes and not discouraged/dissappointed in a couple weeks. I'm glad you've come this far and hope it keeps going fast for you!

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canadiangirl78 said:
My husband just got his second part time job. ;D After being undocumented in the US and being extremely limited in his options, this is really amazing for us. This second job is seasonal and the first is not a lot of hours but a month ago, it seemed like he was getting nowhere. Thank you Canada!
Yay!!!!! Hooray!!!!! Congratulations!!!!!

I'm glad to hear that things are progressing so well.