+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Mexico to Canada

cesarnjody

Feb 22, 2011
Hi, i am looking for some information, I realize there is another topic that is very similar, however for me to read all 70 of the pages would take just too too long lol. Basically, I am a canadian citizen and I married a mexican, we are both living in Los Cabos, Mexico, i have been living down here for a year and a half and now that we are married, we would like to start a family, however my homeland of canada is where we want to do so. We have started filling out our application and what not, but i have a couple questions, 1st, regarding the medical, im wondering when he needs to go to Mexico City for the exam? Before we send the application, or after? And do we need to wait for a form to take to the exam? He just doesnt want to have to fly to Mexico City and not have all the info we need. Also, becasue I am living down here with him, is the financial obligation waved? Because we want to go to canada together, i dont want to have to move back by myself and start saving so i can show them my income. And finally, are we able to go to canada and wait for the application to be approved on a tourist visa? Any info is appreciated! Thanks!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
there are no financial requirements for spousal sponsorship. Read the sticky post on the top for more details.

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
1) The medical is done and proof of it submitted WITH the application for spousal sponsorships. Appendix C in the Region Specific Guide is what he needs to take to the exam. The designated medical practitioner (DMP) who performs the exam will give him a form as proof he has completed it, which must be attached to the application.

2) There is no specific income required to sponsor a spouse, however all sponsors assume a responsibility for their spouse for 3 years after landing. In the event the spouse receives social assistance, the sponsoring spouse is required to pay this back.

3) You will be required to submit proof of your intention to re-settle in Canada if you wait out the process with him in Mexico. If he already has a TRV, then he can visit and wait out the process in Canada. If he doesn't have one, it may be very difficult for him to get one, as non-visa-exempt spouses are considered high-risk for over-staying.

cesarnjody

Feb 22, 2011
Ok, so before we send anything to mississauga, he needs to print that medical form from that website and take it with him. after the exam, he takes the paper from the doctor and attaches it to our application form for when we send it? My concern was that we are told the medical is only good for 12 months, what if it takes longer for the application to go through??

cesarnjody

Feb 22, 2011
also, does the same go for the police clearance? we live in a different city and state then the one he ws born in, does he need to get the police clearance from the state he was born in,which is guerro or can he get it from the state we are living in which is Baja California Sur??

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
The medical and police certificates should be among the last things you obtain, precisely because they are only valid for a year. If processing exceeds a year, he will have to re-do these. In the case of Mexico, you wait for the embassy to advise you to get the police certificates before you proceed with doing so. Refer to the Regional Guide for Mexico for further information.

See here for instructions on obtaining police certificates for Mexico. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/north-america/mexico.asp

cesarnjody

Feb 22, 2011
CharlieD10 said:
1) The medical is done and proof of it submitted WITH the application for spousal sponsorships.
but if its supposed to be one of the last things im to do then how am i supposed to submit it with my app?? this is the confusion that ive been having. some things i read tell me i need to do it before i submit anything and other sites and people say that i need to submit my app and wait for them to tell me when my appointment is and wait for a form. im not trying to sound rude in any way at all, im really appreciative of all your responses, i just need some clarification. thanks

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
A spousal application requires that the medical be submitted with the application. If anyone tells you otherwise, don't listen to them. Some other categories of applications require you to wait for instructions to go ahead with the medicals, this does NOT APPLY to spousal sponsorships.

When you are preparing your application, having the medical done is one of the last things you schedule. The medical is very simple, takes a few hours depending on the location of the DMP and how busy he is, and all you need is the form from him confirming that the medical exam was performed.

So don't rush right out and have the medical done. Check with the DMP closest to you to see how much notice they need to schedule one. Then prepare and organize your application, and when you are close to having everything together, schedule the medical to be done.

Part of planning your application is getting the medicals done so you have the maximum possible validity on them when your application is submitted.

cesarnjody

Feb 22, 2011
ok thanks for the clarification, however, what would happen if it takes longer then 12 months for the process to be complete?

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
Then the embassy will ask your spouse to re-do his medicals when they are ready to issue his visa, or you can take the initiative and go ahead and have it re-done if the year has passed and his application is not close to being finalised.

Mexico's timeline is 14 months for 80% of family class applications.