+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

MEXICAN MARRYING CANADIAN

Almaguer

Nov 9, 2009
Hello, I am mexican and I am about to marry my Canadian fiancee (been together for 2 years) in about a month.

I came to Canada in a temporary resident visa, had no problems at the entry with the officials, I didnt tell them I was getting married though.

I am worried about the whole applying and entering the country matter due to the fact that we want to get married and then go on a honeymoon to mexico during the christmas and newyears eve. She will come back to canada first week of january to finish her studies and I want to be with her during the winter and spring.

My question is, after we are married and after being in Mexico, when I come back to Canada with her in january: is the officer at the airport going to know I am married? and that I want to apply for PR? Or should I state that I am just visiting her (like Ive done several times through these past 2 years)???

I know I can apply inland or outland of Canada, but I want to be with her while I apply.

I know you all have more experience and have gone through the process yourselves, so I would really appreciate your answers and opinions!
What is my best option??? To get the PR and to be able to be with her in Canada through the process.

Thank you all very much!!

Halifax-Maple

Star Member
Jul 19, 2009
You still can apply (outland) even if you stay with your wife in Canada, as long as you have an address in Mexico for correspondence. In case there is an interview you should be able to respond and attend the interview there. The oultland is faster, with your right reseved to appeal in case of refusal.

Regarding your intention to come to Canada after the honeymoon: Do you need a visa or do you have one (multiple)? as far as I know Mexicans are no longer exempted from Visa to enter Canada. Even if you obtain a visa, there is always a risk that you can be turned back at the airport or port of entry. Married to a Canadian and entering Canada would give the Immigration officer the impression that you may never leave Canada. You should state that your goal is to visit Canada. But do answer questions honestly. If you are married to a Canadian and you are asked this question of being married, do answer honestly. Do not lie. But my advice is this:" do not volunteer information unless you were asked specific questions.
Hope this help and wish you a very happy honeymoon.

Almaguer

Nov 9, 2009
Thank you very much for your advice!!!!

Yes as a Mexican, I do need a visa to enter Canada now. I have a temporary resident visa, and it is multiple entry, so I can use it several times, of course I do get questioned briefly in the entry point by the officers but its pretty much similar as when entering the US or Europe nowadays.

I will try my best to follow your advice, trying to get some peace of mind before D-day hehe, dont want to be worried about this on that day.

If there's anything else you think I should take into consideration please let me know!

Cheers!

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
Almaguer said:
My question is, after we are married and after being in Mexico, when I come back to Canada with her in january: is the officer at the airport going to know I am married? and that I want to apply for PR? Or should I state that I am just visiting her (like Ive done several times through these past 2 years)???
no, they will not know that you are married until your spouse files the sponsorship process. they have no records about it in their immigration database until the immigration file is open on your name.