Sep 9, 2013
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
09th August
hi All/Experts. Please help. (note: i've been working in the same company for all these years).

while creating profile i just grouped a bunch of job experiences for India and for Canada and I did not factor in promotions which I got in between as i thought it is related to internal company promotion cycle/performance. However, my friend told me to edit my work experience after I got the ITA to add promotions in it. So i went ahead and made changes (have not yet submitted finally). the changes are as below
  1. one such change for India (split one experience into two to factor one promotion) and
  2. made 2 changes for Canada (split one duration into three to account for two promotions).
This means that a lot of details in work history got changed. Now this is too many changes and I am afraid that the personal validating my details will notice this and this can lead to more questions or mistrust causing delays. I have the details of promotions through via my company portal for all three of them. i.e Company portals and reward communications etc. My profile expires in a month. Shall I let it expire and create a new one after a month and do things right there? Please note that None of this change impacts the NOC or anything like that as I have valid experience.

So i have two options: Option 1) revert it back to match the profile that i submitted earlier and then submit it (Can they track it?)

Option 2: Let the changes stay and add a letter of explanation for the changes that i made but it will require proof from HR etc which I think will be too much followups and documentation.

Finally, does promotions etc matter and is it a good idea to split these rows into multiple to align with promotions because promotions are an internal matter to the company and my individual performance. I can confirm that my NOC throughout doesnot changes and the experience letter by HR will mention start date as 2007 and my roles and responsibility onshore and offshore aligning with NOC 2171. Can I split the HR letter by onshore/offshore Roles in two sections to show 5 years experience in Canada and 5 in India.

Anyone who made such changes in the past please advise as I am getting quite worried now.

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
hi All/Experts. Please help. (note: i've been working in the same company for all these years).

while creating profile i just grouped a bunch of job experiences for India and for Canada and I did not factor in promotions which I got in between as i thought it is related to internal company promotion cycle/performance. However, my friend told me to edit my work experience after I got the ITA to add promotions in it. So i went ahead and made changes (have not yet submitted finally). the changes are as below
  1. one such change for India (split one experience into two to factor one promotion) and
  2. made 2 changes for Canada (split one duration into three to account for two promotions).
This means that a lot of details in work history got changed. Now this is too many changes and I am afraid that the personal validating my details will notice this and this can lead to more questions or mistrust causing delays. I have the details of promotions through via my company portal for all three of them. i.e Company portals and reward communications etc. My profile expires in a month. Shall I let it expire and create a new one after a month and do things right there? Please note that None of this change impacts the NOC or anything like that as I have valid experience.

So i have two options: Option 1) revert it back to match the profile that i submitted earlier and then submit it (Can they track it?)

Option 2: Let the changes stay and add a letter of explanation for the changes that i made but it will require proof from HR etc which I think will be too much followups and documentation.

Finally, does promotions etc matter and is it a good idea to split these rows into multiple to align with promotions because promotions are an internal matter to the company and my individual performance. I can confirm that my NOC throughout doesnot changes and the experience letter by HR will mention start date as 2007 and my roles and responsibility onshore and offshore aligning with NOC 2171. Can I split the HR letter by onshore/offshore Roles in two sections to show 5 years experience in Canada and 5 in India.

Anyone who made such changes in the past please advise as I am getting quite worried now.
The changes post ITA have no impact. They won't compare it with what you had in ITA. I had made the changes post ITA and there were no issues.

Having said that you are over complicating your application. Your CRS score maxes out at 3+ year and you don't really need to show all 10 years. Let's say if you have worked in last position for 3+ years you can take reference letter just for the last position / title and you will be fine.

If you split your work experience in different parts your letter would have to clearly state those two parts and duties for each.

So yes you can do this

Can I split the HR letter by onshore/offshore Roles in two sections to show 5 years experience in Canada and 5 in India.

ContactFront

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2017
There's no need to split if your NOC remained the same. Can just list promotions in reference letter

Also there's no need to list all 10 years

mudjawd

Sep 9, 2013
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
09th August
There's no need to split if your NOC remained the same. Can just list promotions in reference letter

Also there's no need to list all 10 years
Thanks a lot for your response.

is it mandatory to list promotions in the Reference letter? I meant that the reference letter can be something written by me and not from my company.

My company will be issuing me a letter saying i did the set of xyz Roles and responsibilities (to align with 2171) for my entire tenure there.

mudjawd

Sep 9, 2013
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
09th August
The changes post ITA have no impact. They won't compare it with what you had in ITA. I had made the changes post ITA and there were no issues.

Having said that you are over complicating your application. Your CRS score maxes out at 3+ year and you don't really need to show all 10 years. Let's say if you have worked in last position for 3+ years you can take reference letter just for the last position / title and you will be fine.

If you split your work experience in different parts your letter would have to clearly state those two parts and duties for each.

So yes you can do this

Can I split the HR letter by onshore/offshore Roles in two sections to show 5 years experience in Canada and 5 in India.
Hi Cansha. Thanks for your response. Maybe I am over complicating it.

I've been in Canada since April 2015 and i am still working here (i still am) and my designation changed once in between.
Prior to April 2015 I was in Canada in Aug 2010- July 2011 and then from Aug 2011- March 2015 in India. The CRS score calculator gave separate points for 5 or more years in Canada and 3 or more for international (in my case Indian) experience. This is why i wanted to put all detils for my 5 years of experience in Canada and remaining from India.

does the below line still applies to me? Please advise. "Your CRS score maxes out at 3+ year and you don't really need to show all 10 years. Let's say if you have worked in last position for 3+ years you can take reference letter just for the last position / title and you will be fine"

Thanks.

Last edited:

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
Hi Cansha. Thanks for your response. Maybe I am over complicating it.

I've been in Canada since April 2015 and i am still working here (i still am) and my designation changed once in between.
Prior to April 2015 I was in Canada in Aug 2010- July 2011 and then from Aug 2011- March 2015 in India. The CRS score calculator gave separate points for 5 or more years in Canada and 3 or more for international (in my case Indian) experience. This is why i wanted to put all detils for my 5 years of experience in Canada and remaining from India.

does the below line still applies to me? Please advise. "Your CRS score maxes out at 3+ year and you don't really need to show all 10 years. Let's say if you have worked in last position for 3+ years you can take reference letter just for the last position / title and you will be fine"

Thanks.
You can simply use your work experience post 2015 for reference letter. That gives you almost 4 years experience. As I said CRS scores max out at 3+ years. You can fill in your details again in CRS calculator and see the difference.

As someone pointed out above you don't need to split if your NOC remains the same.

If you split your work experience in the work experience section like below

Title A: Apr 2015 till now
Title B: Mar'11 to Mar 2015 (Example)
Title C: Mar'09 to Mar'11 (Example)

The system would ask you to upload three letters (one for each line). You can upload the same letter thrice rather than getting three different letter BUT
Your work experience letter then needs to be in three parts and need to have all three titles and duties listed underneath with compensation information for each job title. The challenge with this approach is getting HR to create such letter unless your HR is quite helpful.

You avoid all this by simply having one entry of Apr'2015 to till now and move rest of the work experience in personal history.

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
The CRS score calculator gave separate points for 5 or more years in Canada and 3 or more for international (in my case Indian) experience.
Also I'm not sure about this line. You may want to validate this by playing around with CRS tool and see.

If you were awarded points twice then yes you need to show both experiences. I have never seen a case where someone got points both for International and Canada experience.

mudjawd

Sep 9, 2013
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
09th August
You can simply use your work experience post 2015 for reference letter. That gives you almost 4 years experience. As I said CRS scores max out at 3+ years. You can fill in your details again in CRS calculator and see the difference.

As someone pointed out above you don't need to split if your NOC remains the same.

If you split your work experience in the work experience section like below

Title A: Apr 2015 till now
Title B: Mar'11 to Mar 2015 (Example)
Title C: Mar'09 to Mar'11 (Example)

The system would ask you to upload three letters (one for each line). You can upload the same letter thrice rather than getting three different letter BUT
Your work experience letter then needs to be in three parts and need to have all three titles and duties listed underneath with compensation information for each job title. The challenge with this approach is getting HR to create such letter unless your HR is quite helpful.

You avoid all this by simply having one entry of Apr'2015 to till now and move rest of the work experience in personal history.
Thanks a lot for your help. I am pasting the screenshot of the tool along with what I tried in the tool. They have included the word Foreign in question number (ii) nowadays :)

if i select 5 or more years to Question (i) and 3 or more years to Question (ii) then i get a score of 484.
if i select 5 or more years to Question (i) and "none or less than one year" to Question (ii) then i get a score of 434. it drops by 50 points.
if i select 5 or more years to Question (i) and select any option except "none or less than one year" to Question (ii) then in each case I get a score of 484.

So, it looks like if i max out on Canadian work ex (5 years or more) and show a minimum of one year foreign experience that should be good to get the score (484 in my case).

royalstellar

Star Member
Oct 16, 2015
Strange.. are you saying employment record document upload (work experience) lines are generated after your ITA profile where you split by each promotion? On the EE profile you did not split, right?

Im asking bc my work experience document upload reflects my EE profile work history. I need to make it reflecting my ITA (APR) profile.

mudjawd

Sep 9, 2013
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
09th August
Strange.. are you saying employment record document upload (work experience) lines are generated after your ITA profile where you split by each promotion? On the EE profile you did not split, right?

Im asking bc my work experience document upload reflects my EE profile work history. I need to make it reflecting my ITA (APR) profile.
the lines which you input while creating profile will be the same as ITA. I just decided to split it based on my promotions onshore (2 promotions) because i didn't capture it that way in my EE profile. What is your case? are you also putting the split promotion wise or just grouping them in one line?