+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Messed up Date on my Citizenship Application and Got Returned

Bigfoot3

Nov 23, 2016
D'Oh.... I went through the application and double checked it multiple times... and obviously I didn't check the most obvious thing... the date of signing (I put it as 2016 instead of 2017).

Everything else is fine, the application got returned.

Here's the thing I'm outside Canada until start of April.

I could resend the application on the date I signed it originally (which was less than a month ago but I put 2016 instead of 2017)... I was also in Canada then.

They also sent the 2 page form explaining the issue and what to do... and they ask that I sign it and resend the correct application.

Would they care if I scanned it and signed it from here? Or would be a strict no-no if I resent the application while I'm out of the country.

Or should I just wait until I'm back in Canada to sign that and resend the application?

Bigfoot3

Nov 23, 2016
Basically my question is, if I"m resending the application with the correct date (mid feb) when I was in Canada, is it okay if I resign the application and the return letter they sent me from outside of Canada.

Would it be a red flag if they see that I sent the right application with the right date (Signed a month ago when I was in Canada), while I'm out of Canada (which I'm currently). I.e the date that the application was signed, I was in Canada... with all the requirements met, however I simply want to resubmit with that date, but I'm currently outside of Canada, but I can have my parents print off the application and send it in again.

Basically-

1) I sent original application mid feb, but accidently put 2016 instead of 2017.

2) They sent a form that says the application was incomplete, asking me to resend the correct version. The application was incomplete because of the sign date.

3) I want to resend the original application with the date corrected for mid-feb 2017.... however I'm currently outside the country. I can easily print and sign from here, and I want to use the mid-feb date, and send the original residence calculator (I"m over 1500 days) and application with the correct date. My parents can mail it to them....

My question is whether me being outside the country currently would be a red flag?

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Bigfoot3 said:
Basically my question is, if I"m resending the application with the correct date (mid feb) when I was in Canada, is it okay if I resign the application and the return letter they sent me from outside of Canada.

Would it be a red flag if they see that I sent the right application with the right date (Signed a month ago when I was in Canada), while I'm out of Canada (which I'm currently). I.e the date that the application was signed, I was in Canada... with all the requirements met, however I simply want to resubmit with that date, but I'm currently outside of Canada, but I can have my parents print off the application and send it in again.
I'm not clear on where the original application is now...in your possession outside of Canada or with your parents. If your parents have it, you could print out, sign, and date the one page of the application, then send it (by mail) to your parents for them to attach to the rest of the application and mail it back to IRCC. If the application is in your possession, you can mail the entire thing back to your parents for them to mail to IRCC. An application can be dated up to 90 days before the date it is received.

Bigfoot3

Nov 23, 2016
alphazip said:
Isn't there another solution, which is to print out, sign, and date the one page of the application, then send it (by mail) to your parents for them to attach to the rest of the application and mail it back to IRCC? An application can be dated up to 90 days before the date it is received.
Yes, thats what I"m thinking of doing. They additionally asked me to sign and date the return letter they sent me. My question is whether me resending the application while I"m outside the country is a red flag or not? I can easily scan and sign the letter they just sent me as well.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Bigfoot3 said:
Yes, thats what I"m thinking of doing. They additionally asked me to sign and date the return letter they sent me. My question is whether me resending the application while I"m outside the country is a red flag or not? I can easily scan and sign the letter they just sent me as well.
What I'm saying is that you should send only original signatures, not scanned ones, and that (if you're concerned about a non-Canadian postmark), you can have your parents send everything from Canada. If you were in Canada when you originally signed the application, and you met the residency requirements, there shouldn't be an issue other than that of "intent to reside."

Reactions: Bigfoot3

Bigfoot3

Nov 23, 2016
alphazip said:
What I'm saying is that you should send only original signatures, not scanned ones, and that (if you're concerned about a non-Canadian postmark), you can have your parents send everything from Canada. If you were in Canada when you originally signed the application, and you met the residency requirements, there shouldn't be an issue other than that of "intent to reside."
Yeah that's the issue, for the return application the only way I can sign it here is by printing and scanning it. Otherwise I'll have to wait till I'm back in Early April

bbssmm88

Star Member
Sep 2, 2016
Hi

April is around the corner, so my recommendation is to wait those 3 weeks and do everything when you are in Canada. By doing this, you will be in the safe side of the law. It is not a big deal to wait a couple of weeks.

Good luck.

Reactions: Bigfoot3

Bigfoot3

Nov 23, 2016
I'm back in Canada and about to send in a new application.

What should I answer for this question, "I have applied for Canadian citizenship before"? The last application got returned for being incomplete and I've heard conflicting things about whether you should yes or no.

HamiltonApplicant

Apr 3, 2017
Hamilton
Visa Office......
Munich, Germany
App. Filed.......
Jan 2007
Med's Request
Dec 2009
Med's Done....
Jan 2010
Passport Req..
Apr 2010
VISA ISSUED...
May 2010
LANDED..........
25-11-2010
You should mark "No"! This is because your previous application was not accepted and returned as incomplete, an incomplete application is equal to no application for all practical purposes...