+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Memorial University Acceptance

Diane Hart

Jun 24, 2021
Hi all,
May I ask why did you choose to apply for Memorial University? Is it only for the low tuition fee? Have you really done any research on the province of Newfoundland?
I actually went to MUN. You get what you paid for. I would say Newfoundland is a very nice province to travel to as a tourist, you might meet some really nice and hospitable people there as a tourist.
But at MUN, on the other hand, as an international student you might run into a lot of problems, some MUN employees can be pretty racist and unprofessional. When I first got there and went to student resource centers for services, I often got the cold shoulder because my English was not very fluent at that time. That had hurt my pride, I still remember some racist remarks made by MUN employees to this date. The funny thing is even after my English improved, people would still treat you differently because you are a visible minority. You could feel their lack of interest and lack of belief in you. Some of you might have already noticed that during the application process, they are kinda inefficient, and that is the way they are. Also, it is going to be extremely tough trying to find a decent job there after you graduate.
If saving money is your priority, I would suggest you look into some college programs offered in larger cities instead.

Rationalwarrior

Star Member
May 22, 2021
Hi all,
May I ask why did you choose to apply for Memorial University? Is it only for the low tuition fee? Have you really done any research on the province of Newfoundland?
I actually went to MUN. You get what you paid for. I would say Newfoundland is a very nice province to travel to as a tourist, you might meet some really nice and hospitable people there as a tourist.
But at MUN, on the other hand, as an international student you might run into a lot of problems, some MUN employees can be pretty racist and unprofessional. When I first got there and went to student resource centers for services, I often got the cold shoulder because my English was not very fluent at that time. That had hurt my pride, I still remember some racist remarks made by MUN employees to this date. The funny thing is even after my English improved, people would still treat you differently because you are a visible minority. You could feel their lack of interest and lack of belief in you. Some of you might have already noticed that during the application process, they are kinda inefficient, and that is the way they are. Also, it is going to be extremely tough trying to find a decent job there after you graduate.
If saving money is your priority, I would suggest you look into some college programs offered in larger cities instead.
Thank you for writing about your experience. In a ideal world, every person would be judged individually and treated fairly. But unfortunately, we are not there yet. So, very often people end up treating each other based on perception of relative power. You will find that NL and many other remote provinces in general are very tight knight. As a result, it might be hard to make genuine friendships. But, overtime as you navigate this new environment you will find your own circle of friends.

Reactions: Eclint

Rationalwarrior

Star Member
May 22, 2021
Hi all,
In your experience, how easy was it to find and hold part time jobs during your studies and during summer? Is it possible to pay a semesters fee if you work full time during summer?

Diane Hart

Jun 24, 2021
It wouldn't faze me if it was a random person on the street who hurled racist remarks at me but I do have more expectations for employees at a university. Especially when us international students paid four times the tuition fees compares to local students. I expect university employees to show us basic human decency when it comes to interactions with international students. On a good day, you will get microaggression/paternalism. On a bad day, an employee will be straight out rude to you.
NL HST is 15% and the cost of living (groceries, accommodations) is not low. University dormitories are very expensive. If you want to save on accommodation, then living with multiple strangers in a shared house is the way to go. Do some research online before you go.

Reactions: Rationalwarrior

DekkuSan

Jun 13, 2021
Sorry for changing the topic but can anyone tell me how to check the status of my application? The website for applying to the university shows my application as complete and its been around one and half months after deadline and I can not see any status updates on the website.

Reactions: Eclint

Eclint

Mar 11, 2020
Sorry for changing the topic but can anyone tell me how to check the status of my application? The website for applying to the university shows my application as complete and its been around one and half months after deadline and I can not see any status updates on the website.
I think that's how it'll remain till a decision is made on your application. You should get an email after the decision.

DekkuSan

Jun 13, 2021
I think that's how it'll remain till a decision is made on your application. You should get an email after the decision.
Did you get any email from the university yet? I still haven't received anything. The status is still the same.

NomanAhmed96

Nov 16, 2020
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
29-05-2021
Med's Request
12-08-2021
Med's Done....
17-08-2021
Passport Req..
30-09-2021
Hi all,
Where are you from?

Eclint

Mar 11, 2020
Did you get an admit from the university? If yes can you share your timeline and profile as well?
Not yet, though I got a message from my supervisor that my application has been approved by SGS n the department. I'm yet to get the offer.

NomanAhmed96

Nov 16, 2020
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
29-05-2021
Med's Request
12-08-2021
Med's Done....
17-08-2021
Passport Req..
30-09-2021
I
Did you get an admit from the university? If yes can you share your timeline and profile as well?
I got admitted in MASc (Environmental Systems Engineering & Management) for fall 2021.