+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Meeting the 730 rule outside of Canada.

EbonyKate

Jan 14, 2013
Hello! I'm new to forum so please forgive me if this question has been answered a million times already. I would really appreciate any feedback on this topic as I'm rather clueless and uncertain when it comes to filtering through immigration websites.

So, here's my story.

I am a PR of Canada since September 2012. I have my PR card.

My partner (who is a Canadian Citizen) sponsored me for my PR. We are both planning on moving back to my hometown in Australia by Feb 2013. So I would have been living in Canada as a PR for roughly six months.

In order to satisfy the 730 rule, am I able to count days spent living outside of Canada if I am living with my partner and we have defacto/common law status?

It's also my understanding that I can live outside of Canada for up to 3 years without returning, as long as I am in Canada for 730 days within any 5 year period.

Am I correct in all of this?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, days spent with your partner outside Canada will be counted towards the 730 day requirement so you can basically keep your PR status forever while you stay with your partner without going to Canada. However, if you break up, you can only be outside Canada for maximum 3 years in order to be able to meet your requirements of 730 days (2 years) in every 5 yr. period.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In addition to Leon's post above do keep evidence of your time outside Canada with your Citizen partner e.g lease agreeements, tax assessments etc. Note that this time outside Canada will not be counted towards the citizenship requirement unless your spouse is working for the Federal Government or in the Public Service of Canada. Not sure how long you will be out of Canada but do monitor the legislation - that the Residency Obligation is achieved via the 'accompanying a Canadian Citizen' rule is truly the mother of all loopholes and someday CIC may decide to remove it.

EbonyKate

Jan 14, 2013
Thank you so much for the replies! Really puts my mind at ease. I will be considering citizenship one day but for now our work and home is in Aus.

Thanks again! Much appreciated.

Calgary2012

Jan 8, 2013
you are moving back to Australia.
I am moving back from Australia to Canada.
I am Australian and PR Canada. why you don't stay in Canada? Job market in Australia is tough now.