+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Meeting residency obligation and a question about travelling abroad

naiveguy

May 4, 2012
Hello everyone,

I became a permanent resident in 2009, and had lived outside of Canada for three years prior to moving here earlier in 2012.

At the airport, I was lectured by the immigration officer for having spent too much time outside of Canada and for cutting it too close to not meeting the residency obligation. I had spent some time in Canada since landing; three of four visits are documented in my passport (the fourth was by road, and I had forgotten to ask the officer to stamp my passport), but the immigration officer was not interested in my helping her find those stamps. I could meet the residency obligation with three weeks to spare, and was let in.

However, I was advised not to leave the country until I fulfill the residency obligation in 2014, and was told that a note saying I have been advised as such would be added to my file.

I am thinking of taking a two-week vacation outside of Canada next year, since that should not jeopardize my status. Is there any way of checking if such a note has been added to my file, and if there is any basis for it? If anyone has comments or suggestions, I would be appreciative.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Even if they did attach a note, if you still meet the requirements, they can only give you trouble but they have to let you in. If you do travel, keep your boarding cards leaving and arriving so you can prove how long you were gone if needed.