+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

medicare card

Feb 26, 2019
Hi, i have been away from Canada for 7 years.

In this time my Medicare has expired and i want to renew it now that i will be spending alot more time in Canada and most likely returning for good

How do I go about it???

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
Hi, i have been away from Canada for 7 years.

In this time my Medicare has expired and i want to renew it now that i will be spending alot more time in Canada and most likely returning for good

How do I go about it???
Tell us more..are you a citizen, PR etc.. which province?

Feb 26, 2019
Im from montreal quebec born and raised. I went to guatemala on vacation met my wife and stayed. Im thinking of coming home and want to nenew my medicare ( cant do it from canadien embassy in guatemala)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You have to be back permanently living in Quebec to get RAMQ and there is a 3 month wait period before you get coverage. Not sure why you would think you could do that at an embassy. First of all healthcare is provincial...

Feb 26, 2019
You have to be back permanently living in Quebec to get RAMQ and there is a 3 month wait period before you get coverage. Not sure why you would think you could do that at an embassy. First of all healthcare is provincial...
Thanks for the info!! Lack of information I guess that’s why I’m posting, figured I could do most renewal from the embassy...guess not.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for the info!! Lack of information I guess that’s why I’m posting, figured I could do most renewal from the embassy...guess not.
There are residency requirements to get healthcare in Canada even for citizens. Currently you don't qualify even if they were able to renew.

Feb 26, 2019
Guess that would depend what the requirements are ????? Which ivgueas is the reason for asking that i am in canada or not doesnt make me less canadien i pay taxes on my house and buisness more than some people that live in canada.. if the requierment is to be present at all times than i understand i guess i dont apply at the moment unfortunatly

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Many citizens, PRs, etc.are unaware that there are residency requirements to maintain healthcare coverage even if they have a valid card they could have to pay back the cost of any care they receive

Conditions for remaining eligible
Being away from Québec could render you ineligible for health insurance. You would then have to repay all the costs of the covered healthcare services you received during the year. RAMQ can verify your presence in Québec.

Persons who have already taken up or who are taking up residence in Québec
You must be present in Québec 183 days or more per calendar year (January 1 to December 31) to remain eligible. Certain absences are not tallied:

• absences of 21 consecutive days or less
  • days of departure and return
Exceptions may apply for a prolonged absence if you are outside Québec, for instance, to pursue studies, work or training. For more information, refer to the page Eligibility during the stay.

Example of calculation of an absence for eligibility purposes

Example of calculation of an absence spread over 2 years for eligibility purposes

Absence of 184 days spread over 2 years

Destination

Departure date
(not tallied)

Return date
(not tallied)

Number of days away

Number of days away that are tallied to determine eligibility

Ontario

August 14, 2018

February 15, 2019

In 2018: 139
In 2019: 45

In this example, you would remain eligible for the Québec Health Insurance Plan for both years. Your absence does not exceed 183 days in one calendar year, i.e. January 1 to December 31.

Exceptions for new arrivals
To maintain your eligibility for the Québec Health Insurance Plan, you must be present in Québec 183 days or more in the 12 months following your eligibility starting date. Certain exceptions may apply to new arrivals from another Canadian province or territory. After these first 12 months, your presence is calculated annually (from January 1 to December 31).