+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Medicals

jacquevw

Star Member
May 27, 2010
Hi,

I have just got off a phone call with the doctor offices here in South Africa and they have informed me that I need to send in my application first and then wait for them to send me the medical forms with picture and file nr. before I can do the medical check.
I am still busy getting all my documents and proof together to, fingers crossed, send it all in by next week.

I am also now applying for a TRV for the purpose of entering Canada on a foreign luxury yacht (me being a crew member) enroute to Alaska.

Can I get my medical check done in USA if I am applying for PR through Pretoria, South Africa? I will be leaving be the country (South Africa) end of June to join the yacht in Seattle so that is probably where I will be when I need my medicals done.

Thanks all

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
If yours is a spousal application, that information is wrong. Make the appointment and take the forms from your Region Specific guide, Appendix C. The spousal checklist (Appendix A, Item 12) clearly lists proof of medical to be submitted with the application - the embassy will not send you forms once your application is received, they will most likely send the application back to your sponsor before it even gets to the embassy if you don't include proof of medical.

DMPs do not work for Immigration Canada and their office personnel are not experts. There are several "classes" of immigrants and many of those classes are required to submit their applications first, and then get the medical forms. Spousal applicants are not one of those classes.

You should get your medicals done prior to leaving South Africa if your application is going to be processed through Pretoria. Pretoria embassy will request the medical results from the Regional Medical Centre that serves their embassy - which is where the DMP will send them. A DMP in the States would not normally be sending results to that same RMC, so it could result in delays and confusion to have the exam done in the States. Call the DMP back and insist on making an appointment - tell them you are a spousal applicant and fax the instructions from CIC included in your application guide to them if you have to to convince them.
From the Applicant's Guide:

If you are a member of the family class as described earlier and you think you are admissible to Canada, proceed as follows:

STEP 1. Only one of each form you and your family members must complete is being provided with this guide. Before you start to complete the forms, make a photocopy for each person who needs to submit an individual form. To determine how many photocopies of the blank forms you will need, consult the table below.
Form Must be completed by
Sponsorship Agreement (IMM 1344B) You, unless you are under 22 years of age and
if your sponsor lives in a Canadian province not the sponsor's spouse, common-law partner
or territory other than Quebec or conjugal partner. Your sponsor will already have
signed this form and sent it to you with this guide.
You must sign it also and return it to your sponsor.

Application for permanent residence in Canada You.
(IMM 0008 Generic)

Spouse/Partner questionnaire You, if you are the spouse, common-law partner
(IMM 5490) or conjugal partner of the sponsor.

Schedule 1, Background / Declaration
(IMM 0008 Schedule 1) You and each of your family members 18 years of age or
over, whether accompanying you to Canada or not, must
complete their own copy of this form.
Additional Family Information
(IMM 5406) You and each of your family members 18 years of age or over,
whether accompanying you to Canada or not, must complete
their own copy of this form.

If you choose to have a representative, complete also the Use of a Representative form (IMM 5476).

STEP 2.Complete the forms following the step-by-step instructions in the next section.

STEP 3.Obtain police certificates/clearances as instructed and collect all other documents you need to support your application. The checklist at Appendix A will tell you which documents you must submit with your application and which require translation and/or certification (notarization). Refer to section on security requirements for related information on police certificates.
Make an appointment with a Designated Medical Practitioner (DMP) and undergo the medical examination. See Appendix C for further details.

Use the checklist to verify that you have all the required documents. It is important to note that we may request more information at any time during the process.

STEP 4. Send all your forms completed and signed along with supporting documentation to your relative in Canada.

jacquevw

Star Member
May 27, 2010
Wow thanks Robs!

My wife and daughter are Canadian citizens and currently with me in SA on a visit! Wife is printing out instant messages and emails ,as I am typing this, dating back to 2008...its about 400 pages!! Might downsize a little!
They will be heading back home when I meet the yacht in Seattle end of June.

Another question: Do you think I should change my postal address in SA to an address in the US (once I am there) for when they send me any documents or requests in the mail?

I will definitely call them back and make sure to get an appointment!

Thanks for the advice!

plumosa

May 27, 2010
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04/03/2010
AOR Received.
17/06/2010
File Transfer...
10/05/2010
Med's Done....
30/11/2009
Interview........
waived-letter dated 27/07/2010
Passport Req..
20/09/2010
VISA ISSUED...
28/09/2010
LANDED..........
28/09/2010
if your wife is living in Canada, just use her address. It doesn't matter if you are filing inside or outside, a Canadian address is fine.