+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Medical test for pregnant applicant

Jehadkh

Apr 9, 2022
Hi,

I am also in a similar situation now. Received my ITA in 2021 and gave medicals on August 2021, except for x-ray. Now i gave birth and have raised a webform informing the same. IRCC did respond requesting for passport, birth certificate etc., for which i have submitted, but they did not ask for my medicals nor my baby's. I have raised another form requesting if i can complete medicals for myself and baby.

1.Should i wait for IRCC to respond to my webform or else proceed with the medicals of myself and my baby?
2. COPR validity- I believe there is a time period of one year from your medical date to enter Canada. The first medical that i took was in August 2021 and if i go for medicals (i.e for x-ray) now, it will be April 2022. Thus, my medical date would remain the first medical date (August 2021) or be updated to the second medical date (April 2022)?
3. If my medical validity date would remain the first medical date (i.e. August 2021), would it be advisable to retake the entire medical test again since i will will have only less than 3-4 months to enter Canada if i received the COPR.

Appreciate your valuable advise on this. Please help. Thanks in advance!

may I know why you did not proceed with the chest x-ray test? I have been reading around and asking and they all say it is safe for pregnant to go through x-ray examination. I want to know is it PP decision or your Doctor or .. ?

Jehadkh

Apr 9, 2022
Hi
I have my medical in a few weeks.
Do I have the choice to defer or go ahead with the chest X-ray if pregnant? Or does the panel physician decide that for me?
My gynecologist has given a go ahead for X-ray, do I get to take the decision or the panel physician?
Thanks

What did you end up doing? have you taken it or deferred it?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I'm really confused guys, why everyone choose to defer the x-ray examination while it is safe in late stages of the pregnancy (after the third month)?

https://www.fda.gov/radiation-emitting-products/medical-x-ray-imaging/x-rays-pregnancy-and-you
https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/encyclopedia/content.aspx?contenttypeid=197&contentid=28587
Many prefer to not do any unnecessary medical tests or medications during pregnancy. Some prefer having an x-ray later on in the pregnancy after most of the development has taken place. Really personal preference and discussion with your physician about your personal circumstances. It is something that people can discuss with their doctor but many people do have x-rays for medical reasons without any harm to their fetus and people do go ahead with their x-ray for their IRCC medical during pregnancy. The large majority do decide to wait and completethe chest x-ray postpartum. Their preference and IRCC does allow you to postpone the chest x-ray if pregnant.

bytenaija

Nov 11, 2019
We went to a panel physician today and the x-ray technician refused Xray for my pregnant wife in Windsor, ON. Does anyone know any Panel Physician/X-ray in Ontario willing to use protective covers for the x-ray? My wife is in the 2nd trimester already and our Temporary visa is expiring soon.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
We went to a panel physician today and the x-ray technician refused Xray for my pregnant wife in Windsor, ON. Does anyone know any Panel Physician/X-ray in Ontario willing to use protective covers for the x-ray? My wife is in the 2nd trimester already and our Temporary visa is expiring soon.
You will always get lead cover. Think the technician felt that they didn’t want to do a chest x-ray that was not for medical purposes. This is not a standard question. Would suggest calling the facility to ask whether there will be an issue doing a medically unnecessary chest x-ray for immigration purposes on a pregnant woman.

Dreddy

Star Member
Sep 5, 2020
Hi, I have question regarding the validity of medicals. My wife was pregnant, so she did her X-ray in August 2022 but other medicals were done in Dec 2021. What would be her medical validity, would it be 1 year from Dec or from x-ray date? @legalfalcon

Luckbychance

Star Member
Sep 29, 2019
Hi, I have question regarding the validity of medicals. My wife was pregnant, so she did her X-ray in August 2022 but other medicals were done in Dec 2021. What would be her medical validity, would it be 1 year from Dec or from x-ray date? @legalfalcon
I am also in a similar situation. Pls suggest. Except the Chest Xray, we got all the medical tests done in April 2022. I will be getting the xray done after the delivery in Feb/ March 2023. till when will my entire medical be valid. ?

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
From the date of x-ray. Only after the x-ray report was submitted, was the medical report complete and assessed.

Dreddy

Star Member
Sep 5, 2020
From the date of x-ray. Only after the x-ray report was submitted, was the medical report complete and assessed.
Thanks a lot and it is super awesome news!! We were worried about travelling with infant to Canada in winter.

A follow up question, I am the primary applicant and I did my remedicals in Dec 2021. I think, my medicals should expire in Dec 2022 and are not dependant on my wife's X-ray. Is this correct or would they extend validity to align with wife's or ask for remedical again?

ZahidAli786

Star Member
Jun 6, 2020
I am in the same situation. My wife is a US citizen and is living with me in Canada. We applied for her PR under the Family class in Canada application. It's her first trimester. Can anybody please suggest if should we go for a chest x-ray with a protective pelvic shield for her IME or wait for the delivery? If someone can please share their experience, please!

Additionally, If we plan to deffer chex Xray in IME then how can we deffer chest x-ray i.e. whats the process? Is there any PDF form we need to submit the webform?

Last edited:

Nag1111

Dec 3, 2023
Hello,
I have the same issue at the moment, and I would appreciate if you help us to know how did manage this issue and if it is solved?
Thanks
Hi ,
I am in the same situation . Can we do the chest X-ray in different country with different panel physician?