+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Medical Surveillance

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
Seniors need your advice...We have received medical surveillance form. Per my understanding we need to contact public heath authority, who will provide some forms and we will have to see a physician and get xray done (or whatever doctor says). We then hand over results to public health authority
(public health authority will inform the Public Health Liaison Unit at IRCC that you’re in compliance with your medical surveillance requirement)

Question: Once we hand over test results (/doctors note) to public health authority, can we exit Canada or do we have stay till the time surveillance is completed. We need to plan our soft landing duration accordingly. Please advise

Thanks in advance!
They will contact you as per their wait time even if you contact them they will ask you to wait till they contact you. Which province?

harryag

Mar 30, 2023
Dear All,
Need your advice. Anyone with medical surveillance experience. Need information on
- All the formalities.
- Any acceptance / acknowledgement, need to be done before landing.
- Can I do soft landing of 20 days and then come back to home country for some time.
- Any other advise.
Thanks in advance.
Dear all,
I would like to ask this procedure about it.
Currently, I am living in Singapore and got approval for open work visa. However, I received medical surveillance form because of my old TB history. I just want to know that can it be possible to do soft landing and stay in Canada for 1.5 months and then return back to Singapore for 2 months. Normally, how long does it take Medical surveillance process? can it be completed within a month after arriving the date? I am afraid that I can't return back to Canada during medical surveillance period since not sure how long will it take to monitor.

Thanks

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
Dear all,
Currently, I am living in Singapore and got approval for open work visa. However, I received medical surveillance form because of my old TB history. I just want to know that can it be possible to do soft landing and stay in Canada for 1.5 months and then return back to Singapore for 2 months. Normally, how long does it take Medical surveillance process? can it be completed within a month after arriving the date? I am afraid that I can't return back to Canada during medical surveillance period since not sure how long will it take to monitor.

Thanks
For surveillance usually one has to wait for province to call as per their wait time. Then the tests are done and finally treatment starts as per the reports which can be 6-12 months. So its better to forward your address after you settle in Canada. Make sure you read the letter again which might contain a clause to contact IRCC about your presence within certain date or so.

harryag

Mar 30, 2023
For surveillance usually one has to wait for province to call as per their wait time. Then the tests are done and finally treatment starts as per the reports which can be 6-12 months. So its better to forward your address after you settle in Canada. Make sure you read the letter again which might contain a clause to contact IRCC about your presence within certain date or so.
Thank for your reply. I just want to know that can I travel out Canada for certain periods during medical surveillance? Is there any problem when I return back to Canada?

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
Thank for your reply. I just want to know that can I travel out Canada for certain periods during medical surveillance? Is there any problem when I return back to Canada?
Surveillance is usually like taking a tablet once a day and getting the medication refilled every month and blood works every month. Until and unless you get blood works done before monthly refill and get refill appointment done which is like 5 mins, I think it will be fine.

harryag

Mar 30, 2023
Thank you for your reply. That scenario suppose to be for active case. For me, It it inactive case and they just want to monitor to verify for inactive case. I have seen similar posts in this thread like my situation, who have also received the medical surveillance form but plan to do a soft landing only and then leave Canada for a certain period before returning. I am curious about the monitoring procedure in this scenario and would appreciate any information you can provide.

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
Thank you for your reply. That scenario suppose to be for active case. For me, It it inactive case and they just want to monitor to verify for inactive case. I have seen similar posts in this thread like my situation, who have also received the medical surveillance form but plan to do a soft landing only and then leave Canada for a certain period before returning. I am curious about the monitoring procedure in this scenario and would appreciate any information you can provide.
I am referring to inactive one. If you have reached a stage of surveillance you probably would have to go for medical appointment which will assess your case further.
As I suggested its better to read the contents of letter if they had any deadline. Its better to forward you address to medical panel email address and also about your indefinate stay. Usually they take a while to get back to you.
Once the provincial doc calls you, you still have the liberty to start the proces as per your convenience. Hope this helps.

harryag

Mar 30, 2023
I am referring to inactive one. If you have reached a stage of surveillance you probably would have to go for medical appointment which will assess your case further.
As I suggested its better to read the contents of letter if they had any deadline. Its better to forward you address to medical panel email address and also about your indefinate stay. Usually they take a while to get back to you.
Once the provincial doc calls you, you still have the liberty to start the proces as per your convenience. Hope this helps.
Hi Taran D,

Thank you for giving me your time. This is my first time landing in Canada ,and I received a letter which informed me to contact a officer within 30 days with my address and contact information in Canada. There was no deadline date provided in that letter. As for my plan, I may need to leave from Canada for a certain period and then return. I have noticed similar case in this thread and ,and I would like to know that procedure for my situation.

Regarding your answer, I am curious as to why person under medical surveillance would need to take tablets. According to my understanding, they just want to make sure that the person's condition is inactive. if it is active, the further steps may be required to cure the disease. Thanks.

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
Hi Taran D,

Thank you for giving me your time. This is my first time landing in Canada ,and I received a letter which informed me to contact a officer within 30 days with my address and contact information in Canada. There was no deadline date provided in that letter. As for my plan, I may need to leave from Canada for a certain period and then return. I have noticed similar case in this thread and ,and I would like to know that procedure for my situation.

Regarding your answer, I am curious as to why person under medical surveillance would need to take tablets. According to my understanding, they just want to make sure that the person's condition is inactive. if it is active, the further steps may be required to cure the disease. Thanks.
As I said before contact IRCC once you land and let them know about your plans. Province usually takes a while to get back to you. So better to let them know rather than your phone going on voicemail and IRCC being notified you are resisting to be contacted.
The medical surveillance is as per Canadian medical procedures. The inactive cases are referred a treatment so that the inactive does not become active and effect you or society.

harryag

Mar 30, 2023
As I said before contact IRCC once you land and let them know about your plans. Province usually takes a while to get back to you. So better to let them know rather than your phone going on voicemail and IRCC being notified you are resisting to be contacted.
The medical surveillance is as per Canadian medical procedures. The inactive cases are referred a treatment so that the inactive does not become active and effect you or society.
I am appreciated your prompt reply. Then, It is possible to make the arrangement for going out of Canada during medical surveillance. However, I might need to inform them for the arrangement and follow their instruction. Anyway, I sent the email to IRCC Medical Surveillance team and am asking their procedure. I am not sure how long will it take to reply my email. I just want to know anyone who had that experience before. Thanks.

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
I am appreciated your prompt reply. Then, It is possible to make the arrangement for going out of Canada during medical surveillance. However, I might need to inform them for the arrangement and follow their instruction. Anyway, I sent the email to IRCC Medical Surveillance team and am asking their procedure. I am not sure how long will it take to reply my email. I just want to know anyone who had that experience before. Thanks.
No worries.
Its good you have informed them.
Of course the medicine are filled on monthly basis and one can take medicine once a day. Though I think you can delay the process unless you have permanently settled in Canada.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Dear all,

Thanks
Leaving Canada shouldn’t be an issue. If you are only doing a short landing just a reminder that you can’t apply for a health card because you won’t meet the residency requirement to qualify to receive healthcare (unless you are returning very soon after the short landing). Would suggest looking up the residency requirement to receive healthcare. It varies by province and usually varies between first year qualifying for a health card and subsequent years. When doing your short landing I would suggest contacting the medical surveillance team and informing them that you are in Canada for a short landing and once you return you will contact them again.
For your medical surveillance you will likely be contacted and asked about potential symptoms (like cough, difficulty breathing, etc) and whether you are experiencing any of these symptoms and whether they are getting worse. You may also be required to do another chest x-ray at a certain point.

Depending on when you are planning on permanently moving to Canada you may want to limit your ties to Canada in order to avoid becoming a tax resident. Not sure what you are planning on doing during the short landing. It is often taking more than 1.5 months to receive your PR card so may not want to remain in Canada for 1.5 months.

harryag

Mar 30, 2023
Leaving Canada shouldn’t be an issue. If you are only doing a short landing just a reminder that you can’t apply for a health card because you won’t meet the residency requirement to qualify to receive healthcare (unless you are returning very soon after the short landing). Would suggest looking up the residency requirement to receive healthcare. It varies by province and usually varies between first year qualifying for a health card and subsequent years. When doing your short landing I would suggest contacting the medical surveillance team and informing them that you are in Canada for a short landing and once you return you will contact them again.
For your medical surveillance you will likely be contacted and asked about potential symptoms (like cough, difficulty breathing, etc) and whether you are experiencing any of these symptoms and whether they are getting worse. You may also be required to do another chest x-ray at a certain point.

Depending on when you are planning on permanently moving to Canada you may want to limit your ties to Canada in order to avoid becoming a tax resident. Not sure what you are planning on doing during the short landing. It is often taking more than 1.5 months to receive your PR card so may not want to remain in Canada for 1.5 months.
Thank you for your detail explanation. I am not holding PR , and holding work permit. I will travel out from Canada for around 2 months to settle some personal matters and then return back to Canada. I am just worried that immigration officer might halt me on the airport as I haven't completed the medical surveillance when I return back to Canada after 2 months. Thanks.

harryag

Mar 30, 2023

I have a question regarding the medical examination requirement for my first visit to Canada. I am planning to travel to Canada for the first time at the end of April and stay there for around 1.5 months. At that time, my medical examination is still valid. After that, I will need to return to my home country for a period of 2 months and then come back to Canada at the end of August. At that point, my medical examination will have expired.

I would like to know if a medical examination is only required for the first visit to Canada to issue a work permit, or if it is required to show for subsequent visits as well.

Last edited: