+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Medical Reasons for Refusal

temzmama

May 21, 2015
Hi Guys,

I am just curious if there are particular medical conditions that are automatic grounds for refusal.

Thanks

dobes

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
temzmama said:
Hi Guys,

I am just curious if there are particular medical conditions that are automatic grounds for refusal.

Thanks
Medical refusals are on one of two grounds: the condition poses an infectious risk to the Canadian public - active tuberculosis comes to mind - or that expenses to treat the condition will exceed the average medical expenses of the average Canadian for some length of time.

temzmama

May 21, 2015
dobes said:
Medical refusals are on one of two grounds: the condition poses an infectious risk to the Canadian public - active tuberculosis comes to mind - or that expenses to treat the condition will exceed the average medical expenses of the average Canadian for some length of time.
Thanks Dobes. That information is quite helpful. So an applicant should not be too worried if they have had an infectious condition in d past which was treated and now all the person needs to do is just eat healthy, stay fit and get vacinated every 2-5years. Especially when it happened over a decade ago without any reoccurence or need further treatment.
This person is married with kids and non of the family member has ever been affected.

yelena

May 8, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It would be easier if you can say what the condition was? Vacination every 2-5 years, why and what for?

temzmama

May 21, 2015
yelena said:
It would be easier if you can say what the condition was? Vacination every 2-5 years, why and what for?
Well, I assumed because its a medical condition many people might not the science of it.

Anyway it was Hapettis B

yelena

May 8, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't think inactive hepatitis B should be any reason for concearn. If your viral test are negative as you say they are., you should be fine.

Besides, hepatitis B is ( I think ) a mandatory vacine for children now, so you wouldn't pose much of a threat even if you had active ( viral positive hepatis B).

I think you will be fine :)

I had hepatitis C 15 years ago,. also negative since then, had two children, everyone is healthy including myself. I will let you know how mine goes,. if they let me in, they will definitely let you in aswell lol

ps. when sending your application, try to include as much of the older medical history regarding your ilness, with conclusive eveidence that you are negative for the virus, and that you are healthy. I recomend you mention this in your LEO, at least this is what I have done.

fingers crossed and God's speed 8)

temzmama

May 21, 2015
yelena said:
I don't think inactive hepatitis B should be any reason for concearn. If your viral test are negative as you say they are., you should be fine.

Besides, hepatitis B is ( I think ) a mandatory vacine for children now, so you wouldn't pose much of a threat even if you had active ( viral positive hepatis B).

I think you will be fine :)

I had hepatitis C 15 years ago,. also negative since then, had two children, everyone is healthy including myself. I will let you know how mine goes,. if they let me in, they will definitely let you in aswell lol

ps. when sending your application, try to include as much of the older medical history regarding your ilness, with conclusive eveidence that you are negative for the virus, and that you are healthy. I recomend you mention this in your LEO, at least this is what I have done.

fingers crossed and God's speed 8)
Wow! Thanks so much for the encouraging informaton. Pray alll our applications get approved! Feel a whole lot better already, was a bit worried.

Thanks Yelena

dobes

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
temzmama said:
Thanks Dobes. That information is quite helpful. So an applicant should not be too worried if they have had an infectious condition in d past which was treated and now all the person needs to do is just eat healthy, stay fit and get vacinated every 2-5years. Especially when it happened over a decade ago without any reoccurence or need further treatment.
This person is married with kids and non of the family member has ever been affected.
It may be a reason to ask for further investigation by an appropriate doctor, but no - the way you describe it, it won't be an issue.

nat29

Star Member
Jun 26, 2015
temzmama said:
Hi Guys,

Thanks
I heard of 2 refusals in the past, because of TB.

temzmama

May 21, 2015
dobes said:
It may be a reason to ask for further investigation by an appropriate doctor, but no - the way you describe it, it won't be an issue.
Thanks Dobes, I ticked 'yes' under 'have you ever had a serious disease' when filling the forms and will also attach medical reports when submitting my documents as Yelena suggested and give a brief explanation in LOE.

Trust that should cover it.

yelena

May 8, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
they will probably ask for additional medical tests, they asked me to do them.. They refered me to a gastroenterologiest and asked for liver ultrasound as well.

If all of your medical tests are ok, and you dont require therapy they dont have grounds to reject you. If I am not mistaking Hepatitis B vaccination is not something you will have to undergo for the rest of your life.

I had to get vaccinated, I think about 10 years ago for HepB, and then again after 2 or 3 years, but that is it.

So, if you are not contagious ( and you are not), you are not a risk to public health, and if you do not require medical treatment ( that you do not ) you will not cause excessive demand to the public helath system.

I don't see any grounds that they might refuse your application.

as for my case, in my application I chose "no" under have you ever had serious ilness.
The reason is, because I was never tested positive on the virus, I am only positive on the antybodies, and ever since I first got positive antibodies test, I was already negative on the viral part. So I never even had any treatment, as I never acctualy had the illness. They might use me to create a vaccine lol - I might be an asset to Canadian health lol just kidding ;)

I am sure they consult experts and have doctors that understand the difference, at least this is what I hope.

temzmama

May 21, 2015
yelena said:
they will probably ask for additional medical tests, they asked me to do them.. They refered me to a gastroenterologiest and asked for liver ultrasound as well.

If all of your medical tests are ok, and you dont require therapy they dont have grounds to reject you. If I am not mistaking Hepatitis B vaccination is not something you will have to undergo for the rest of your life.

I had to get vaccinated, I think about 10 years ago for HepB, and then again after 2 or 3 years, but that is it.

So, if you are not contagious ( and you are not), you are not a risk to public health, and if you do not require medical treatment ( that you do not ) you will not cause excessive demand to the public helath system.

I don't see any grounds that they might refuse your application.

as for my case, in my application I chose "no" under have you ever had serious ilness.
The reason is, because I was never tested positive on the virus, I am only positive on the antybodies, and ever since I first got positive antibodies test, I was already negative on the viral part. So I never even had any treatment, as I never acctualy had the illness. They might use me to create a vaccine lol - I might be an asset to Canadian health lol just kidding ;)

I am sure they consult experts and have doctors that understand the difference, at least this is what I hope.
I noticed you got reject before due to invalid medical, what did they mean by "invalid"? At what point were you requested to have an ultracound done?

Its actually my spouse had the hepatitis B, so most of what I know is based on what I have read on the internet. He was ill and actually had treatment, so I think filling "yes" in our case is appropriate. However he only has the antibodies now.

yelena

May 8, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
temzmama said:
I noticed you got reject before due to invalid medical, what did they mean by "invalid"? At what point were you requested to have an ultracound done?

Its actually my spouse had the hepatitis B, so most of what I know is based on what I have read on the internet. He was ill and actually had treatment, so I think filling "yes" in our case is appropriate. However he only has the antibodies now.
medical was invalid because I was assesed for temporary residence only ( same problem had many people after me.. it was a mistake on their side).

I still might be rejected for a medical condition, who knows..

I was requested to do additional tests after I done my medical, about a month after.. we did an up front medical, and I was finished with that part and the additional exams some time before I was even issued an ITA.

So the medical part is totaly separate from the process. Else where, they would not ask for additional test before I even submited my application.

strange thing.. my medical was set to passed, and then in process after that it was rejected for having been assest for TFP only ..
another reason why I think we are ok with our condition, elswhere they would have failed me straight away. again, my personal opinion and observation

temzmama

May 21, 2015
yelena said:
medical was invalid because I was assesed for temporary residence only ( same problem had many people after me.. it was a mistake on their side).

I still might be rejected for a medical condition, who knows..

I was requested to do additional tests after I done my medical, about a month after.. we did an up front medical, and I was finished with that part and the additional exams some time before I was even issued an ITA.

So the medical part is totaly separate from the process. Else where, they would not ask for additional test before I even submited my application.

strange thing.. my medical was set to passed, and then in process after that it was rejected for having been assest for TFP only ..
another reason why I think we are ok with our condition, elswhere they would have failed me straight away. again, my personal opinion and observation
I agree with you on that, medical would have changed to "failed" instead of "passed" at that time and you would have been told straight away not to bother proceeding with immigration. Spoke to a doctor friend about it and he said it shouldn't be a ground for refusal because it poses no threat to others.

Let's keep our fingers crossed. Trust we would be fine and soon be celebrating PPR. Will let you know how it goes after I upload all the documents and submit the application.

Thanks for your responses.

Apr 21, 2018
Hi everyone, my husband takes a psychiatric medicine due to obsessive compulsive disorder and he informed this condition on medical exams, attaching a report written by his doctor. Do you think this might be a reason for refusal or for a delay on our process?