+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Medical Insurance for Parents Super Visa

Aizaz

Feb 12, 2017
Hi

I have recently applied for super visa for my parents. I applied online. According to the requirements, medical insurance is necessary, however, there was no option to upload medical insurance documents. Is it necessary to get the insurance and upload it? Most of the insurances that I found online are really expensive, usually over 1000 dollars a year. In case, visa is rejected that would become useless then. Is there any insurance provider that I can get insurance on monthly basis or they can refund me if visa is rejected?

Thank you

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi

I have recently applied for super visa for my parents. I applied online. According to the requirements, medical insurance is necessary, however, there was no option to upload medical insurance documents. Is it necessary to get the insurance and upload it? Most of the insurances that I found online are really expensive, usually over 1000 dollars a year. In case, visa is rejected that would become useless then. Is there any insurance provider that I can get insurance on monthly basis or they can refund me if visa is rejected?

Thank you
You will need to show that you have purchased a year of supervisa insurance to get approved. You will have to review the cancellation policy from your insurance provider but if the supervisa is denied you should be able to get all of your money back or maybe all of it minus a small administration fee. If your parents visit less than a year, insurance providers usually provide partial refunds for the time not used. It can vary by insurance provider but you can be refunded for full months not used or all the days not used. There can be a small administration fee taken out for the refund in some cases. 1K is actually very reasonable for a year of supervisa insurance. Supervisa insurance is like any other emergency travel medical insurance policy so doesn’t cover routine care or pre-existing conditions (would read the fine print of the policy carefully) but since it is for seniors who tend to frequently use the policies the costs are higher than travel medical insurance involved to the general public. In most cases getting travel Medical insurance is very difficult to find if over 75. Many insurance companies don’t insure people above 75 because the risk of them needing care is so high. Just a reminder that after the first year you have to try and purchase a new policy annually. If your parent is in Canada under a supervisa they must keep purchasing supervisa insurance every year. If they are unable to buy a policy because they are ill for example then their supervisa is no longer valid. If they get sick one year the next year that would be a pre-existing condition so likely couldn’t get treatment covered with a supervisa insurance policy. 100k of coverage isn’t a lot of coverage so if your parents do have a major medical event and have to stay in the hospital for for a week or two that could easily be over 100k. This would especially be the case if they needed to stay in the ICU or had a major operation. Depending on your financial situation as a family (if you have minimal assets and savings) you may want to consider getting over 100k of coverage