+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Medical Inadmissibility

odd1out

Jul 23, 2014
Hi there

I have two questions regarding medical:
1. I have a mild hypertension issue. Doctors have put me on very small dose for almost half an year now. I am 35 and I don't have anymore issues because of medicine. Does this make me Medically Inadmissible?

2. My daughter ( 5 years now) had bladder exstrophy ( a congenital issue ). She has been treated in SickKids Canada 2 years back ( under Herbie fund ) and now she is normal. Will she be cleared now? She had an issue in the past. About future no one can comment.
Her kidneys are perfect however, the bladder size is small comparative to other kids ( around 100 ml ) but fully functional.

We are really confused. I have am scoring more than 80 otherwise. Both these two concerns are driving me crazy.

Can anyone she some light? I don't need hope but rather a taste of reality..... Are we Medically Inadmissible?

I have searched online for months now. On bladder exstrophy forums even but no luck.

Kindly comment or guide...

Regards

nskatcv

Champion Member
May 27, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 11 2014
Med's Done....
Feb 16 2015
Passport Req..
Jul 03 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Jul 08 2015
LANDED..........
Jan 09 2016
odd1out said:
Hi there

1. I have a mild hypertension issue. Doctors have put me on very small dose for almost half an year now. I am 35 and I don't have anymore issues because of medicine. Does this make me Medically Inadmissible?

2. My daughter ( 5 years now) had bladder exstrophy ( a congenital issue ). She has been treated in SickKids Canada 2 years back ( under Herbie fund ) and now she is normal. Will she be cleared now? She had an issue in the past. About future no one can comment.
Her kidneys are perfect however, the bladder size is small comparative to other kids ( around 100 ml ) but fully functional.

We are really confused. I have am scoring more than 80 otherwise. Both these two concerns are driving me crazy.

Can anyone she some light? I don't need hope but rather a taste of reality..... Are we Medically Inadmissible?

I have searched online for months now. On bladder exstrophy forums even but no luck.

Regards
I am sorry I won't be able to guide you on this, just sharing few relevant documents I found. Please see if they help you in any way.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/English/resources/manuals/enf/enf02-eng.pdf

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op15-eng.pdf

http://www.cba.org/cba/cle/PDF/IMM11_Gomberg_Paper.pdf

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/enf/enf01-eng.pdf

Main information that emerges is this (from http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/PDF/I-2.5.pdf)

I hope someone having experience in these matters will respond to you soon.

Regards

future_canadian

VIP Member
May 10, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
odd1out said:
Hi there

Regards
The key issue here is cost. There is a threshold amount representing the average amount Canada spends on health per person per year. I forget how much it is but it is posted in this forum in some medical inadmissibility threads, and there are many you should read.

So the question is whether either of those conditions will cost more than the threshold amount. (Note that they are considered separately, because the inadmissibility is considered per person not per family.) You will need to disclose the conditions at the time of your medical exam and take the medical exams required b CIC. I believe (not sure, again, check the threads on medical inadmissibility) that because you have hypertension some extra testing will be required.

If CIC believes your conditions will cost more than the threshold amount to treat per year, they will inform you of their belief in a letter (called a "fairness letter"). Once you have the fairness letter you can rebut it with additional information, doctor's notes, etc to argue that you will not exceed the threshold amount. If your arguments are not convincing, or if you just don't answer, you'll be rejected.

Even if you are rejected, you can appeal. Appeals have a fairly good chance of winning.

I suggest contacting an immigration lawyer with experience in medical inadmissibility who can advise you from the beginning. If you decide not to retain a lawyer now, and later on your get a fairness letter, your chances of overcoming it are much much better with a lawyer (NOT a consultant).

Good luck.

Prime007

Mar 9, 2014
Hi
Mild hypertension,no problem at all.just some extra tests require.
For your daughter's condition,it's mainly depend upon her
Current and future treatment she needed.if her treatment
Causes excessive demand on health n social services than she become
inadmissible otherwise not.

Shaja

Star Member
Apr 18, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-05-2013
AOR Received.
09-07-2013
File Transfer...
09-07-2013
Med's Request
02-10-2013
odd1out said:
Hi there

Regards
Hi odd1out,
I saw your post that your daughter has been treated in Sickkids Canada under Herbie fund. Could you please help me how did you apply for that? And how to contact them? What's your status here in Canada right now?

We have a PR application under the FSW but we received a fairness letter from CIC that my daughter is inadmissible due to her heart problem (TOF with PVA). She did not undergo any surgery yet because her condition is complex and heart surgeons in our home country are inexperienced with her case. I'm trying to find a heart foundation here in Canada who could help because she will get better treatment here than in our home country.

Please help...

explorer

Star Member
Aug 28, 2010
Ontario
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
ND
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Feb-2010
AOR Received.
2nd AOR: Jun-10
File Transfer...
Mar-10
Med's Request
June-12
Med's Done....
July-12
VISA ISSUED...
14-Jan-2013
LANDED..........
22-07-2013
Hypertension is not a problem at all. Don't know about your kids problem.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Shaja said:
Hi odd1out,
I saw your post that your daughter has been treated in Sickkids Canada under Herbie fund. Could you please help me how did you apply for that? And how to contact them? What's your status here in Canada right now?

We have a PR application under the FSW but we received a fairness letter from CIC that my daughter is inadmissible due to her heart problem (TOF with PVA). She did not undergo any surgery yet because her condition is complex and heart surgeons in our home country are inexperienced with her case. I'm trying to find a heart foundation here in Canada who could help because she will get better treatment here than in our home country.

Please help...
You can find information about the Herbie Fund here:

http://www.sickkids.ca/ProgramsandServices/international-patient-program/the-herbie-fund/

The Herbie Fund is meant for children who come to Canada for surgery and then return home (not stay in Canada). So unfortunately the Herbie Fund won't be of any help to you in responding to a letter of medical inadmissibility.

Shaja

Star Member
Apr 18, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-05-2013
AOR Received.
09-07-2013
File Transfer...
09-07-2013
Med's Request
02-10-2013
scylla said:
You can find information about the Herbie Fund here:

http://www.sickkids.ca/ProgramsandServices/international-patient-program/the-herbie-fund/

The Herbie Fund is meant for children who come to Canada for surgery and then return home (not stay in Canada). So unfortunately the Herbie Fund won't be of any help to you in responding to a letter of medical inadmissibility.
Hi scylla,
Thanks a lot for sharing. I will try to get in touch with them. She could be treated here then return back for recovery. Her heart condition is complex and not enough facilities in our home country to treat her.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Shaja said:
Hi scylla,
Thanks a lot for sharing. I will try to get in touch with them. She could be treated here then return back for recovery. Her heart condition is complex and not enough facilities in our home country to treat her.
To the best of my knowledge you can't refer your own daughter for this program. Her physician would need to submit the referral.

Also note that if multiple surgeries are required to correct her condition, then unfortunately she won't qualify for the Herbie program.

Shaja

Star Member
Apr 18, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-05-2013
AOR Received.
09-07-2013
File Transfer...
09-07-2013
Med's Request
02-10-2013
scylla said:
To the best of my knowledge you can't refer your own daughter for this program. Her physician would need to submit the referral.

Also note that if multiple surgeries are required to correct her condition, then unfortunately she won't qualify for the Herbie program.
Hi scylla,
Thanks for this information. I will read more on how the herbie fund procedure goes.

We will be able to know what corrective procedures that will be done when we get the cardiac cath's result next week.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

odd1out

Jul 23, 2014
Shaja

Scylla is right, they look for cases which needs one time attention. They wont allow follow ups after one attempt.

AS Scylla mentioned, you need to download the forms and start filling them. Your kids doctor can recommend the case (thats not a big deal. His recommendation is required to better understand the situation of the patient).

In case of Sickkids, as far I remember, they approve around 25 cases (including all kind of patients) to be eligible for Herbie fund in a year.

One more thing, you would to arrange a Host on Toronto to live with. The host will arrange food for you and temporary stay ( till you folks are following @SIckkids. Host declaration is a pre-requisite.

My personal advice is to search online such hospitals which specialize in your kids problem. Normally they would be having some sort of associated fund that can help you.

You should search for the social worker in cardiology department at Sickkids social ..they can be of great help. I was lucky to find one and she took me through different stages of application.

Wish you all the best.

Shaja

Star Member
Apr 18, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-05-2013
AOR Received.
09-07-2013
File Transfer...
09-07-2013
Med's Request
02-10-2013
odd1out said:
Shaja

Scylla is right, they look for cases which needs one time attention. They wont allow follow ups after one attempt.

AS Scylla mentioned, you need to download the forms and start filling them. Your kids doctor can recommend the case (thats not a big deal. His recommendation is required to better understand the situation of the patient).

In case of Sickkids, as far I remember, they approve around 25 cases (including all kind of patients) to be eligible for Herbie fund in a year.

One more thing, you would to arrange a Host on Toronto to live with. The host will arrange food for you and temporary stay ( till you folks are following @ SIckkids. Host declaration is a pre-requisite.

My personal advice is to search online such hospitals which specialize in your kids problem. Normally they would be having some sort of associated fund that can help you.

You should search for the social worker in cardiology department at Sickkids social ..they can be of great help. I was lucky to find one and she took me through different stages of application.

Wish you all the best.
Hi scylla & odd1out,
Thanks for your kind reply.

The information you gave me is really helpful. We have relatives in Toronto so accommodation will just be easy to arranged. I'm currently working in BC, Canada, will there be an issue on this?

We will be able to know if only 1 corrective procedure will be done this week. Praying hard....

Could you guide me how did you find a social worker? How did u start? Did the doctor just filled out the referral form online? How long did you process your application?

Thanks,
Shaja

odd1out

Jul 23, 2014
Shaja

Just google and search for social workers @ Sickkids ( I know thats not simple). I joined couple of forums of bladder exstropy. I started leaving comments if some one can guide. One of the members advised me to reach a certain social worker and thats it. Thats why I will insist that join your relevant forums and they might guide you to better hospital. We took 1.5 years to reach Sickkids....really. I was looking for US, UK and Asia based hospitals. John Hopkins was initially the best option but could not arrange funds hence couldnt make it.

For us, we were outside Canada; I did all the work and finally requested Doctor to fill the recommendation. He was not happy as he wanted to deal it further but eventually he agreed.

If I recall, we submitted the completed application in November 2011 and we received the welcome news in March 2012. The surgery was planned for September 2012.

Shaja

Star Member
Apr 18, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-05-2013
AOR Received.
09-07-2013
File Transfer...
09-07-2013
Med's Request
02-10-2013
hi odd1out,
Thanks for your reply. I will take a look on this and I've also asked help from relatives in Toronto.

Appreciate your help.

Shaja