+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Medical inadmissibility rules changes

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
This forum is amazing and with such inspirational people, hats off to all you brave fighters and family.... and a loud shout out to all you kind all for all the helpful responses.

I too have a query and would appreciate it greatly if anyone could help me with it.

AOR: 17th Jan, Medicals done on 9th Jan, Random Sugar shows 258, Diabetes, I wasn't even aware of it before, no visible symptoms etc. The doctor assured it wont affect my application as all. I am unclear about the annual expenses a diabetic faces in Canada. I have no other health issues and this came as a shock.

Any comments on this would help me greatly, thank you all in advance.
Very hard to estimate until you get your diabetes under control. Really depends if you require insulin. Testing strips without extended health benefits through work are also expensive.

Reactions: SGN

SGN

Star Member
Dec 4, 2018
Canada
Very hard to estimate until you get your diabetes under control. Really depends if you require insulin. Testing strips without extended health benefits through work are also expensive.
Thank you for your reply, I did a test yesterday where its reduced to 200 and its 99.99% confirmed that it is controllable by oral medication and would not require insulin injections. Would the cost of a diabetic overshoot the annual budget set by Canada? or is it now safe under the new rule in effect after April'18... My wife is the primary applicant and is all clear in the reports, only red flag was in my report... the medical team seemed unfazed and kept assuring me that it wouldnt affect the application. But I trust this forum a lot more hence asking for feedback here.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for your reply, I did a test yesterday where its reduced to 200 and its 99.99% confirmed that it is controllable by oral medication and would not require insulin injections. Would the cost of a diabetic overshoot the annual budget set by Canada? or is it now safe under the new rule in effect after April'18... My wife is the primary applicant and is all clear in the reports, only red flag was in my report... the medical team seemed unfazed and kept assuring me that it wouldnt affect the application. But I trust this forum a lot more hence asking for feedback here.
Yes you shouldn't have a problem if regulated with oral medication, weight loss and activity. Unless you are arriving with a job you have to factor in that Canada doesn't have a national pharmacare program. Yo can bring 90 days of Rx medication with you. Things like testing strips are very expensive so I would buy some before you leave if you are being asked to test your blood sugar on a regular basis.

Reactions: SGN

SGN

Star Member
Dec 4, 2018
Canada
Yes you shouldn't have a problem if regulated with oral medication, weight loss and activity. Unless you are arriving with a job you have to factor in that Canada doesn't have a national pharmacare program. Yo can bring 90 days of Rx medication with you. Things like testing strips are very expensive so I would buy some before you leave if you are being asked to test your blood sugar on a regular basis.
This has been extremely helpful, cant thank you enough for all the info shared.

Reactions: canuck78

westernguy416

Jan 31, 2019
anyone here has ever dealt with schizophrenia illness and if they passed or did NOT passed the medical exam from CIC PR application?

forestj

Feb 5, 2019
Hello

I was just about to start my Express Entry profile last year, qualifying for Canadian Experience Class and Federal Skilled Worker streams, when I was diagnosed with breast cancer. Currently undergoing treatment and PR plans have been on the back burner. Treatment is going well and I've started to get my head around PR again. If all goes well I should be cancer free by summer 2019. By my count I will only have about a year and a half to apply before my CRS score will be too low due to getting older (my score isn't huge right now so every birthday that goes by will take off crucial points). This means that all going well cancer-wise I will only have the chance to be in remission for a year and a half at the most before applying. Are there any stories of anyone out there who has managed to complete their PR while being in remission for such a short time? I certainly won't be able to wait the 5 years that would comfortably class me as cancer free. I have read up on medical inadmissibility a fair amount now and think it is perfectly valid and understandably that people who could potentially require a large amount of healthcare can't be approved for PR. I also know it will all be assessed on an individual basis and there is no blanket rule. Just wondering if there are any stories of anyone with such recent cancer being approved? It is a lot of hassle, stress and expense to go to to be denied on medical grounds so would love to know my chances before I even start on anything else.

Thank you

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello

I was just about to start my Express Entry profile last year, qualifying for Canadian Experience Class and Federal Skilled Worker streams, when I was diagnosed with breast cancer. Currently undergoing treatment and PR plans have been on the back burner. Treatment is going well and I've started to get my head around PR again. If all goes well I should be cancer free by summer 2019. By my count I will only have about a year and a half to apply before my CRS score will be too low due to getting older (my score isn't huge right now so every birthday that goes by will take off crucial points). This means that all going well cancer-wise I will only have the chance to be in remission for a year and a half at the most before applying. Are there any stories of anyone out there who has managed to complete their PR while being in remission for such a short time? I certainly won't be able to wait the 5 years that would comfortably class me as cancer free. I have read up on medical inadmissibility a fair amount now and think it is perfectly valid and understandably that people who could potentially require a large amount of healthcare can't be approved for PR. I also know it will all be assessed on an individual basis and there is no blanket rule. Just wondering if there are any stories of anyone with such recent cancer being approved? It is a lot of hassle, stress and expense to go to to be denied on medical grounds so would love to know my chances before I even start on anything else.

Thank you
Unfortunately no one is going to be able to give you a clear statement regarding your chances. Because the cancer is so recent, it's probably quite likely IRCC will issue a fairness letter and intend to deny your application. However there's always some chance you may be successful. Really impossible for anyone to say with any level of certainty. You'll have to decide if you want to go through the process of applying knowing you may be refused.

ash1969

Apr 26, 2017
Hello

Thank you
My advise, take legal opinion

letsgotocan

Star Member
May 16, 2018
Hello

Thank you
Hi,
Whatever the forum members predict as a possible outcome for your case will only be that, a prediction. No one can be sure.

If you browse through this thread, I recall there was one contributor whose family member (mom IIRC) had a similar condition. Maybe you can ping/PM that member to know more.

Considering the fact that you will be losing valuable points from hereon, if you think even a possibility of getting a PR worth your time and money, you can just go ahead, that way you know you tried!!

letsgotocan

Star Member
May 16, 2018
Folks,
Just wanted to share the good news. We got our status change to medical passed. The wait was long, but it happened. Finally!!

Thanks a lot for all your feedback and support!! This forum has been my lifeline all along.

Wishing everyone in similar situation the very best!! Just be positive and hope for the best!!

Cheers!!

Reactions: Nimrod and ash1969

lk231188

Star Member
May 5, 2018
Hello everyone.

I recently submitted my application for Express entry PR on 11th of feb.
we are a family of 4 members.
One of my baby underwent surgery for congenital diaphragmatic hernia (CDH) when he was 2 months old. Now he is 2 years old and perfectly healthy. Is there a chance we could fail our medicals because of this. ???

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello everyone.

I recently submitted my application for Express entry PR on 11th of feb.
we are a family of 4 members.
One of my baby underwent surgery for congenital diaphragmatic hernia (CDH) when he was 2 months old. Now he is 2 years old and perfectly healthy. Is there a chance we could fail our medicals because of this. ???
Congratulations! I am quite surprised. Thought the use of growth hormone would be an issue. It can be very challenging to get approval. You'll have to sew if you can still get the growth hormone if ir is only for experimental reasons.

Not sure how high functioning your child is but be prepared for very little services after age 21.

homesh94

Feb 24, 2019
Hi everyone,

I am 24 years old thalassemia major willing to relocate to Canada. Currently, I am working with a digital agency in India. I am eligible to apply for both study visa and express entry visa but I am afraid how thalassemia is going to affect my immigration application as I have enquired a lot of people about the same but no one has the right knowledge about it. Does anyone know what are the chances of a thal patient being granted a visa? And how the healthcare is going to work for a student/express entry visa for such cases.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone,

I am 24 years old thalassemia major willing to relocate to Canada. Currently, I am working with a digital agency in India. I am eligible to apply for both study visa and express entry visa but I am afraid how thalassemia is going to affect my immigration application as I have enquired a lot of people about the same but no one has the right knowledge about it. Does anyone know what are the chances of a thal patient being granted a visa? And how the healthcare is going to work for a student/express entry visa for such cases.
Your ability to get PR all depends on your need for treatment and the cost. Your health could also change by the time you apply for PR so there is always a risk. Medical care for student varies by province. Some get provoncial care and some are required to purchase medical insurancd through their college or university. Depending on your current medical costs, getting a student permit may be an issue.