+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Medical history questions

Apr 7, 2018
Hi!

I have a question regarding the medical history to be provided during the PR process.

My husband was on anti-depressants few years ago for anxiety and depression and he took them for over a year. During that period of time he didn't miss a single day of work and never been hospitalized. He stopped taking them like 4 years ago and he's still working until today.

I'm wondering whether we should mention this in our medical history? This was few years ago and we are not in contact with his doctor and we can't obtain his records since we are living in a different country now. If we mention this in our medical history, what should we provide for the extra tests especially we don't have his records?

I apologize for the too many questions :)

kenthething23

Star Member
Dec 21, 2016
Hi

I had the same issue and I have discussed with a immigration consultant. He said IRCC doesn’t care if you take medication for anxiety or depression especially when it’s well managed and doesn’t interfere with daily life. They only care when you have been hospitalized a lot due to mental health complications,having psychosis episodes, hallucinations, or possibly to harm themselves or others.

hope this helps!

Reactions: visaaspirant2018
Apr 7, 2018
Thank you kenthething23 for the replies. I will look at the PP guide and I appreciate posting it here.

Just to clarify few things about my husband's case:

- He was never hospitalised and never had any psychotic episodes.
- He didn't miss a single day of work during the treatment.
- He hasn't been on any medications for years now.
- He has a continuous and an impressive educational record and professional records.

We don't want to travel to another country just to get a copy of his medicals for something really small like this. :(

ypaul

Star Member
Nov 11, 2017
India
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-01-2018
They look for following 2 things in medicals:
1. Person should not have any communicable diseases.
2. If person has some pre-existing condition, then yearly cost of treatment shouldn't be more than ~$6000/year for 5 years.

You are safe on both scenarios, most people would have had some kind of medical situation in past. I am not an expert but based on my knowledge of the system, your case shouldn't create any issues.

Reactions: visaaspirant2018
Apr 7, 2018
Should we still declare it? it was in the past.

On one hand we don't want to complicate our application, on the other hand we don't have access to the medical records.

Can we declare it without having a letter from his previous doctor? Can we ask for as psych-examination even though we have no past records? like a voluntary one by a panel doctor and what does a psych-exam usually involve?

Thank you.

Hi

I had the same issue and I have discussed with a immigration consultant. He said IRCC doesn’t care if you take medication for anxiety or depression especially when it’s well managed and doesn’t interfere with daily life. They only care when you have been hospitalized a lot due to mental health complications,having psychosis episodes, hallucinations, or possibly to harm themselves or others.

hope this helps!

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2018
Hi

hope this helps!
He has a continuous employment and studying history. Never been hospitalised nor a threat to anyone. Did you end-up declaring it?

Thanks