+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Medical exam

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
Thanks. The really awful thing is that there is only one physician in the area who does these exams and I was within a week of the cutoff period so I felt like I had no choice but to just put up with it. Ugh.

At the same time, Canada should know because he certainly doesn’t refrlect well on the country.
Completely disagree with the last statement. One doctor doesn't represent the entire country. This is not the norm, and if you feel violated I encourage you to report this.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you. My lawyer said she’d never heard of this being done either. Once I’ve landed, I plan to file a complaint. The physician also cracked a bunch of anti-Canada jokes. Makes me angry all over again just thinking about it.
No need to wait until you land. Filing a complaint against the Panel Physician will have zero impact on your application.

Contact the relevant RMO https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/panel-members-handbook-2013.html#app1.3. They are generally very quick to directly respond to any issue.

cbreeze22

Oct 10, 2017
Thank you. My lawyer said she’d never heard of this being done either. Once I’ve landed, I plan to file a complaint. The physician also cracked a bunch of anti-Canada jokes. Makes me angry all over again just thinking about it.
Thank you for bringing this here, otherwise I would not have known to look. The same thing happened to me at my exam, and after I specifically answered questions about there being no changes, no issues, no history, and that I'd just had my regular annual physical. The doctor is the only one in the state authorized to do the exam, has a consistently packed office, and the nurse and he made a point of it being because I'm over 40 - a standard that I now know was dropped years ago. I, too, am applying as a spouse, so shouldn't have mattered.He needs to catch up and stop.
Thanks to canuck_in_uk for the reporting info.

BackToOntario

Star Member
Aug 18, 2018
My husband was the one being examined, as I'm the sponsor and he's the applicant. However, I did find this regarding breast exams in medical exams: https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/department/partner/pp/pdf/imei_breast_exam.pdf

Standard procedure seems to be that they do the basic exam the same for everyone - or at least they should - and follow up on anything abnormal.

For example, my husband's urine sample led them to order a follow up 2 hour blood glucose test back home (required, not optional) to rule out diabetes. Even if he had diabetes (he doesn't), that would not have made him inadmissible, but they made it sound like CIC required the follow up test anyway.

Again, no idea if a breast exam is standard procedure. The link above seems to indicate that it isn't. I don't see why it would be, and I would certainly question whether or not it was necessary.

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
My husband was the one being examined, as I'm the sponsor and he's the applicant. However, I did find this regarding breast exams in medical exams: https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/department/partner/pp/pdf/imei_breast_exam.pdf

Standard procedure seems to be that they do the basic exam the same for everyone - or at least they should - and follow up on anything abnormal.

For example, my husband's urine sample led them to order a follow up 2 hour blood glucose test back home (required, not optional) to rule out diabetes. Even if he had diabetes (he doesn't), that would not have made him inadmissible, but they made it sound like CIC required the follow up test anyway.

Again, no idea if a breast exam is standard procedure. The link above seems to indicate that it isn't. I don't see why it would be, and I would certainly question whether or not it was necessary.
Breast exam isn't part of the standard exam. It's normal for them to follow up with further tests if they see something suspicious during the first exam, but that first exam is the same for everyone and doesn't include a breast exam.