+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Medical Exam

Misiu

May 23, 2015
I am not married yet, but planning to get married in September. My fiance is coming to visit in August. She wants to do the medical exam before visiting since it's cheaper in her country. My question: Is there anyway border security can find out about the exam? She's planning on telling them she's here to visit a friend, as saying you're visiting your boyfriend or fiance seems to never end well, even though we're planning on doing everything the right way. And if security finds out about the exam, it could end badly.

Thanks in advance.

fruitball4u

Star Member
Dec 6, 2014
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-05-2015
Doc's Request.
23-11-2015
AOR Received.
23-06-2015
File Transfer...
31-07-2015
Med's Done....
20-04-2015
Interview........
DM: 21-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
COPR: 17-12-2015
LANDED..........
03-01-2016
Lying to border officers about visiting a friend is what is going to end badly here.

To answer your question, no, they won't know about her doing the medical in her home country as long as she hasn't applied for anything yet.

But, that being said, I would absolutely not suggest lying to them about her visiting you. She should be honest in her intentions. It is NOT illegal for her to come get married here, provided that she has the intentions to go back home while waiting for her permanent residency (or for her to apply inland once getting married). It IS illegal to lie about why you're entering the country.

If she is coming to visit you, she should have proof of ties to her home country, and proof of a return ticket home. Even if she does intend on staying once you get married, this will be much safer (and easier) than lying - which can have serious repercussions. If she lies and says she's visiting a friend, and then gets married, and for some reason has to return home, coming back a second time will be difficult as it'll be a red flag that she came to visit a "friend" last time and ended up getting married.

Don't lie, and don't try to trick border control.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It's highly unlikely that they would know about the examination, but she must be sure to use an approved CIC panel physician. There is a list of doctors on the CIC website.

And...lying to a Border Officer is never a good idea. As long as she is not inadmissible to Canada, there's really no reason why she can't come to Canada to visit her fiance. As long as she has proof of strong ties back home (job, home, bank account, etc.) and has a return ticket (refundable), the chances would appear to be very good that she would be allowed entry.

Good luck!

stephcy

Star Member
Dec 15, 2014
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
AOR Received.
22-10-2015
File Transfer...
04-11-2015
Med's Done....
21-07-2015
Passport Req..
DECISION MADE 07.03.2016 - no passport request
VISA ISSUED...
CoPR 14.03.2016
LANDED..........
19-03-2016
I came to visit my bf and there was no problem about that. They just asked me for how long I was going to stay (I had a return ticket with me, even though they didn't ask me to show it) and what I brought for my bf, if I brought him any presents.

I also did the medical back home and no one knew about that either.

Be honest is the most important. As long as she has a valid visa, ties with back home (work etc.) and a valid return ticket, everything will be ok.

Misiu

May 23, 2015
Thanks for the responses.

Well, the plan was to apply outland while she's here and apply for a visa extension. What are the chances it's successful for visa extension?

As for ties to home, she hasn't finished school, but she has a return ticket. She was planning on attending school in Canada when she has the PR card.

stephcy

Star Member
Dec 15, 2014
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
AOR Received.
22-10-2015
File Transfer...
04-11-2015
Med's Done....
21-07-2015
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
CoPR 14.03.2016
LANDED..........
19-03-2016
I'm in Canada too right now and I'll apply for PR. I came as a visitor, had my return ticket which I didn't use at the end. I Asked for an extension so we could become common law with my partner. They gave me an extension for 6 months. In June (2 months before the expiration of my current extension) I apply for an other extension asking them to extend my visa as we are in the process of applying for an Outland PR once we become common-law and that I wanted to be able to stay with my partner during the processing of our papers. The next day my visitor extension was approved for another year. So I guess everything will be ok.

You have to be honest with them and when applying for visa extension to explain why. And the most important is that she must have enough funds to stay here or that you have enough to support her.

Also make sure when she comes to have with her a health insurance covering her trip & stay here, which she will have to extend every time her extension of visitor visa is approved.

Misiu

May 23, 2015
stephcy said:
I'm in Canada too right now and I'll apply for PR. I came as a visitor, had my return ticket which I didn't use at the end. I Asked for an extension so we could become common law with my partner. They gave me an extension for 6 months. In June (2 months before the expiration of my current extension) I apply for an other extension asking them to extend my visa as we are in the process of applying for an Outland PR once we become common-law and that I wanted to be able to stay with my partner during the processing of our papers. The next day my visitor extension was approved for another year. So I guess everything will be ok.

You have to be honest with them and when applying for visa extension to explain why. And the most important is that she must have enough funds to stay here or that you have enough to support her.

Also make sure when she comes to have with her a health insurance covering her trip & stay here, which she will have to extend every time her extension of visitor visa is approved.
When you applied for the extension, you simply told them you were applying as common law? I thought applying through common law would be harder. Any other tips to make the visa extension successful through the common law route?

stephcy

Star Member
Dec 15, 2014
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
AOR Received.
22-10-2015
File Transfer...
04-11-2015
Med's Done....
21-07-2015
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
CoPR 14.03.2016
LANDED..........
19-03-2016
The first time I apply I said that we wanted to establish the common law status with my partner so we can apply for sponsorship visa, that's why I was asking for an extension for 6 months.

The second time I wrote that we will be establishing the common law status soon and we are currently preparing our papers for the sponsorship visa and that we will send them in once we become common-law. I also said that we would be applying outland and that I wanted to be here during the processing. They ask you to provide evidence that you have enough funds to stay here. With that one I also send them a letter from the bank that we have a common account with my partner (that's another evidence that we will become common law). The next day I received approval for 1 more year (that's how long the outland application for me takes to be processed).

In both cases I also showed them copies of my health insurance and I wrote upon approval of my visitor visa I would extend my health insurance policy to cover the whole duration I would be in Canada.

It's important that when you apply for extension that your applications are consistent and that you show that you can support your fiance or she has enough funds to stay and that she has health insurance.

Hope that helps. Good luck :)

mainja

Jul 25, 2019
The first time I apply I said that we wanted to establish the common law status with my partner so we can apply for sponsorship visa, that's why I was asking for an extension for 6 months.

The second time I wrote that we will be establishing the common law status soon and we are currently preparing our papers for the sponsorship visa and that we will send them in once we become common-law. I also said that we would be applying outland and that I wanted to be here during the processing. They ask you to provide evidence that you have enough funds to stay here. With that one I also send them a letter from the bank that we have a common account with my partner (that's another evidence that we will become common law). The next day I received approval for 1 more year (that's how long the outland application for me takes to be processed).

In both cases I also showed them copies of my health insurance and I wrote upon approval of my visitor visa I would extend my health insurance policy to cover the whole duration I would be in Canada.

It's important that when you apply for extension that your applications are consistent and that you show that you can support your fiance or she has enough funds to stay and that she has health insurance.

Hope that helps. Good luck :)
I am exactly the same position now ,never ask for extension and we are in sponsorship process to submit and need to extend my visa ,is it possible i have your letter format to immigration and which document need for apply online