+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Medical Exam today-blood pressure

TADF chemist

Jul 2, 2018
Hello, just to share my medical exam today. I got ITA and I took an upfront medical exam today.

According to the doctor, in general my health is OK (but still waiting for urine and blood test results). One thing I was particularly concerned with is the blood pressure:

I got 137/8X result (I can't remember the value X, but I know it is between 80-89). I asked both the nurse and the doctor about this value, and they said it is fine. I know indeed 137 is a bit high and I know that by Canada standard 140 is the threshold for more tests. My family does not have any chronic disease, but I told the doctor my father has hypertension, though not serious, I think. For myself, my medical record is pretty clean/simple: no smoking, no drinking, no drug, no medication, no operation (except a small one to remove benign lymphoma).

However, my weak areas are seldom intense exercise and not drinking enough water. The doctor told my heart rate is a bit high. Indeed, I know this as I checked my pulse and found 88 times per minute.

Do you think I will be asked to do more tests? The doctors never said so. I am curious.

Scalphunter

Star Member
Jun 20, 2020
Had a similar blood pressure reading in my medical test and I just passed my medicals today. I don't have high blood pressure either and I actually measured my blood pressure for a few days after I got back from my medical exam and it was always in the normal range. I was likely suffering from White Coat syndrome. Just to be healthier, I cut down on my sodium intake and added more fruits to my daily diet. Seems to have helped.

TADF chemist

Jul 2, 2018
Had a similar blood pressure reading in my medical test and I just passed my medicals today. I don't have high blood pressure either and I actually measured my blood pressure for a few days after I got back from my medical exam and it was always in the normal range. I was likely suffering from White Coat syndrome. Just to be healthier, I cut down on my sodium intake and added more fruits to my daily diet. Seems to have helped.
So they did not ask you for more tests? Do you think the 140 is a threshold for more test? I learnt this somewhere in the Internet.

Ad78

Star Member
May 31, 2020
So they did not ask you for more tests? Do you think the 140 is a threshold for more test? I learnt this somewhere in the Internet.
"Do you think the 140 is a threshold for more test?"

This is what I was told by the panel doctor when I did my upfront medical.

seadrag0n

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2018
140/90 is the limit, anything above this in either reading will cause medical exam results to be reviewed instead of getting MEP. Someone from November AOR got a reading of 128/94 and they didn't get MEP but got BIL. Even my reading was 13X/8X and I also received MEP.

Check here:

https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/department/partner/pp/pdf/imei_hypertension.pdf

Sa3ed

Nov 19, 2022
140/90 is the limit, anything above this in either reading will cause medical exam results to be reviewed instead of getting MEP. Someone from November AOR got a reading of 128/94 and they didn't get MEP but got BIL. Even my reading was 13X/8X and I also received MEP.

Check here:

https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/department/partner/pp/pdf/imei_hypertension.pdf
Hi whats MEP and BIL?

my reading today was 142/84 although day before was 117/76 . I’m worried

seadrag0n

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2018
Hi whats MEP and BIL?

my reading today was 142/84 although day before was 117/76 . I’m worried
Medical Exam Passed and Biometrics Instruction Letter.

Those readings should be fine. My readings were exactly 140/90 for some reason and my medical exam was passed within a week.