+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Medical exam requirements for spouse

lhp2290

Jan 12, 2017
Hi all,

I have a question regarding the medical exam for express entry/permanent resident (PR) application. Please help me.

I am the main applicant. I have the Invitation to Apply letter. I need to upload documents for both me and my spouse.

a) Booking a medical appointment for myself

I called one panel physician (designated by CIC). The receptionist just told me to bring cash and passport. No hassle

b) Booking a medical appointment for my spouse

- I called another panel physical. They asked me whether I have the letter from CIC, instructing my spouse to take the medical exam for PR application. I told her I do not have this letter, only the Invitation to Apply letter. She said they only carry out the medical exam if I have that letter. The ITA letter was not accepted.

- I was confused.

1) After that, I tried to search on CIC website and came across

"Sponsor your spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner or dependent child
Complete Guide (IMM 5289)"
cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5525ETOC.asp

"A new application process for the spousal sponsorship program came into effect on December 15, 2016. Upfront medical exams are no longer needed for spouses, partners or dependent children."

Since I am not a permanent resident, I do not apply to this category right?

2) Please advise me whether I just need to bring my passport for my own medical exam as the main applicant

3) Please advise me what documents I need to prepare for my spouse to take the medical exam

xpressentry

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2016
London
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A - upfront
AOR Received.
29-03-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Waiting
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
28-03-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
The link applies to existing permanent residents and citizens who want to sponsor their spouses. This was introduced to speed up the process of reuniting families.

I rang a physician in London who told me that I can do upfront medical exam for myself and my spouse and I don't need ITA for that. I need to carry my passport, my spouse's passport and cash. Also, eye glasses / lenses and any prescriptions if applicable for my spouse and I.

I think some locations are eligible for upfront and some need you to wait for instructions from CIC. I'm not too sure about this bit.

Tej9999

Star Member
Feb 25, 2016
lhp2290 said:
Hi all,

I have a question regarding the medical exam for express entry/permanent resident (PR) application. Please help me.

I am the main applicant. I have the Invitation to Apply letter. I need to upload documents for both me and my spouse.

a) Booking a medical appointment for myself

I called one panel physician (designated by CIC). The receptionist just told me to bring cash and passport. No hassle

b) Booking a medical appointment for my spouse

- I called another panel physical. They asked me whether I have the letter from CIC, instructing my spouse to take the medical exam for PR application. I told her I do not have this letter, only the Invitation to Apply letter. She said they only carry out the medical exam if I have that letter. The ITA letter was not accepted.

- I was confused.

1) After that, I tried to search on CIC website and came across

"Sponsor your spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner or dependent child
Complete Guide (IMM 5289)"
cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5525ETOC.asp

"A new application process for the spousal sponsorship program came into effect on December 15, 2016. Upfront medical exams are no longer needed for spouses, partners or dependent children."

Since I am not a permanent resident, I do not apply to this category right?

2) Please advise me whether I just need to bring my passport for my own medical exam as the main applicant

3) Please advise me what documents I need to prepare for my spouse to take the medical exam
Hello,

Did you find solution for this situation???

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
You need to tell them that the test is upfront medicals that needs to be done for worker class. Worker class medicals doesn't require any number. IME number is given only for family sponsored applicants. Spouse isn't getting family sponsored, she is getting pr with the primary applicant directly via express entry.

lhp2290

Jan 12, 2017
Tej9999 said:
Hello,

Did you find solution for this situation???
Call the designated physician. Tell them your spouse need an upfront medical exam for immigration (e.g. express entry). Your spouse need to bring passport + Canada documents (e.g. study permit, work permit ), express entry invitation to apply letter, spectacles (if have myopia) and cash (most places require cash)

Tej9999

Star Member
Feb 25, 2016
DEEPCUR said:
You need to tell them that the test is upfront medicals that needs to be done for worker class. Worker class medicals doesn't require any number. IME number is given only for family sponsored applicants. Spouse isn't getting family sponsored, she is getting pr with the primary applicant directly via express entry.
Ok thanks will call them and ask about this...

bhargav4927

Jun 6, 2018
I and my spouse wish to apply for permanent residency via express entry program offered by Canadian Government, First applicant will by my spouse and I would be the second applicant. I want to inquire about my health condition and my eligibility for this program. I am 29 and have kidney Dysplasia i.e I have one underdeveloped developed kidney by birth and the other kidney functions perfectly and all my related test results are normal ( recently conducted ). I do have Essential Hypertension due to this condition of mine. I wish to know whether this health condition of mine will cause medical inadmissibility while applying for permanent residency in Canada. I hope to receive your adequate assistance. Thank You!