+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Medical Exam Requested Today - Good News?

HollieO

Oct 14, 2017
So I just received my request for my medical exam today; I am applying inland in Canada and via common-law family class sponsorship. Obviously, I need to see if my medical results come back clear but assuming all is well, does the fact they're requesting a medical exam suggest a positive outcome to this? Does this mean I passed my background check? That the likelihood for PR is good based on them getting this far? Etc.

I'm just curious because I'm not certain when during this process immigration sends back application packages if there is anything wrong with the application itself. I also don't know when they typically request medical checks - before or after background checks, etc. I guess what I'm trying to figure out is where exactly I'm at in the process and how good my chances look now that they've requested medical.

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
No, the background check happens after the medical exam and it's usually the longest step. Getting the medical request doesn't really mean anything for your application overall as you need to pass each individual step and check in order to successfully complete the whole process.

Applications are sent back at the start of the process, before getting the AOR, and they are sent back due to missing documents, signatures, fees, etc. Getting the AOR basically means the application is complete and contains everything the checklist needs it to contain. From that point on, they will request anything additional they need, without sending the application back.

Not sure what month you applied in. Usually for inland applicants medical request happened midway, at around the six month mark. After the OWP and before the background check. These days they're sending out medical requests even before the OWP so quite early in the overall process.

HollieO

Oct 14, 2017
Not sure what month you applied in. Usually for inland applicants medical request happened midway, at around the six month mark. After the OWP and before the background check. These days they're sending out medical requests even before the OWP so quite early in the overall process.
That's actually what lead to my confusion as I was under the impression medical requests came along later in the process. (So I had a moment of 'I'm halfway through this ALREADY?') I'm definitely not at the six month mark - they received my application September 5th so I'm not even a full 3 months into the process, and I have not received my OWP yet either.

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
That's actually what lead to my confusion as I was under the impression medical requests came along later in the process. (So I had a moment of 'I'm halfway through this ALREADY?') I'm definitely not at the six month mark - they received my application September 5th so I'm not even a full 3 months into the process, and I have not received my OWP yet either.
The medicals after two months thing seems to have started mostly with the August applicants. So yeah, you're still very early on.