+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Medical Exam - Mandatory Before APR is submitted ? !

User1id2

Star Member
Jun 24, 2020
Hey guys
I know a medical immigration exam is required for all permanent residence applications. Is it still mandatory to get the medical exam done before applying for PR under the Canadian experience class? CAN I NOT apply for PR after receiving my ITA and then wait for instructions to go do the medical exam ?!
Please advise.
Thanks

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Hey guys
I know a medical immigration exam is required for all permanent residence applications. Is it still mandatory to get the medical exam done before applying for PR under the Canadian experience class? CAN I NOT apply for PR after receiving my ITA and then wait for instructions to go do the medical exam ?!
Please advise.
Thanks
No, an upfront medical is mandatory as a part of your complete application, R10.

If you cannot provide an upfront medical, you can explain the reason in the LoE, and submit your application. Currently IRCC is not rejecting any application with missing documents that have an explanation.

The policy is:

Application intake
Intake of new permanent residence applications will continue. Files that are incomplete due to unavailable documents will be retained in the system and reviewed in 90 days.

New, complete permanent residence applications under section 10 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR) will be processed as per normal procedures while taking into consideration the additional processing guidance outlined in these instructions.

If a new application is missing supporting documentation (associated fees are required), the applicant should include an explanation with their application that they are affected by the service disruptions as a result of the novel coronavirus. The application may then be promoted and reviewed in 90 days.

New applications should be promoted in the order they were received, and the org ID should be associated with them when the applicant self-identifies. If the application is still incomplete in 90 days, officers should request the missing documents with an additional 90-day deadline.

Applications found to be incomplete with no explanation provided, or for reasons unrelated to the disruption of services associated with impacts of the novel coronavirus, may be rejected as per section R10, and all fees associated with the application should be refunded to the applicant. The reason for rejection should be unrelated to the disruption of services.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/permanent-residence.html

Reactions: User1id2 and co2020

co2020

May 31, 2020
No, an upfront medical is mandatory as a part of your complete application, R10.

If you cannot provide an upfront medical, you can explain the reason in the LoE, and submit your application. Currently IRCC is not rejecting any application with missing documents that have an explanation.

The policy is:

Application intake
Intake of new permanent residence applications will continue. Files that are incomplete due to unavailable documents will be retained in the system and reviewed in 90 days.

New, complete permanent residence applications under section 10 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR) will be processed as per normal procedures while taking into consideration the additional processing guidance outlined in these instructions.

If a new application is missing supporting documentation (associated fees are required), the applicant should include an explanation with their application that they are affected by the service disruptions as a result of the novel coronavirus. The application may then be promoted and reviewed in 90 days.

New applications should be promoted in the order they were received, and the org ID should be associated with them when the applicant self-identifies. If the application is still incomplete in 90 days, officers should request the missing documents with an additional 90-day deadline.

Applications found to be incomplete with no explanation provided, or for reasons unrelated to the disruption of services associated with impacts of the novel coronavirus, may be rejected as per section R10, and all fees associated with the application should be refunded to the applicant. The reason for rejection should be unrelated to the disruption of services.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/permanent-residence.html
Thank You.

User1id2

Star Member
Jun 24, 2020
Thank you. This is great news. At least the applications will go in a queue; so it doesn't hurt to submit an application missing a medical exam. Things are actually optimized! Laws are always so fair and human in Canada <3

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Thank you. This is great news. At least the applications will go in a queue; so it doesn't hurt to submit an application missing a medical exam. Things are actually optimized! Laws are always so fair and human in Canada <3

As long as you provide an explanation for the missing medicals and seek time and provide the reason why you were unable to get the upfront medical done.

User1id2

Star Member
Jun 24, 2020
As long as you provide an explanation for the missing medicals and seek time and provide the reason why you were unable to get the upfront medical done.
thank you. Can you also confirm:
If I receive my ITA and my passport is only valid for 5 months. Can I apply and provide a letter of explanation saying I am expecting a new passport from back home and it is taking longer due to Covid and I will be providing IRCC with my new passport as soon I get it ?
would that be acceptable or the officer would have to reject my application due to an invalid passport (a passport that expires in less than 6 months from the date of application submission...)
Reminder note: I am inside Canada not planning on travelling any time soon (At least not before summer 2022...)

please advise how that would Currently work out ....

and I would be curious how it would work out prior to covid (i.e in the year of 2017 how would this scenario treated...)

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
thank you. Can you also confirm:
If I receive my ITA and my passport is only valid for 5 months. Can I apply and provide a letter of explanation saying I am expecting a new passport from back home and it is taking longer due to Covid and I will be providing IRCC with my new passport as soon I get it ?
would that be acceptable or the officer would have to reject my application due to an invalid passport (a passport that expires in less than 6 months from the date of application submission...)
Reminder note: I am inside Canada not planning on travelling any time soon (At least not before summer 2022...)

please advise how that would Currently work out ....

and I would be curious how it would work out prior to covid (i.e in the year of 2017 how would this scenario treated...)

You have to submit your current passport, and after you renew your passport, you can send the scan of your biographical pages to IRCC via webform. https://secure.cic.gc.ca/enquiries-renseignements/canada-case-cas-eng.aspx

As per IRCC:

Expiring passports
You must have a valid passport to come to Canada.

If your passport expires within 6 months from the day you apply, you should renew it. Then, when you get your new passport, update your passport information in your application. This will ensure it’s valid when we process your application, and avoid additional delays.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/apply-permanent-residence/scan-upload-documents.html

User1id2

Star Member
Jun 24, 2020
You have to submit your current passport, and after you renew your passport, you can send the scan of your biographical pages to IRCC via webform. https://secure.cic.gc.ca/enquiries-renseignements/canada-case-cas-eng.aspx

As per IRCC:

Expiring passports
You must have a valid passport to come to Canada.

If your passport expires within 6 months from the day you apply, you should renew it. Then, when you get your new passport, update your passport information in your application. This will ensure it’s valid when we process your application, and avoid additional delays.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/apply-permanent-residence/scan-upload-documents.html
Thank you.
Last question: I have worked 52 weeks each week 30 hours or 37.5 hours
Only 2 weeks out of the 52 weeks I worked 29.5 hours and 22.5 hours (due to Christmas holidays). However, I got paid for 22 hours in stat holidays for those two weeks though....
Does the officer want the hours per week for the Regular hours only to be 30 hours ? Or paid stat holiday hours do count when the total hours per week is less than 30 hours?
please let me know if I should claim 54 weeks in my case....
Thank you

User1id2

Star Member
Jun 24, 2020
Hi again
Sorry to bother again.. but I need to confirm the following:
I called the only panel physician in my Province and booked the soonest appointment for july 8, 2021 (due to covid the soonest appointment is july 8, 2021)

if I receive an ITA this month or in March ; can I submit an application without the medical upfront and give a letter of explanation saying my appointment is far away in july 2021? That will still be within two 90 days pending periods from the date of submission... would they reject my application and ask me to get another ITA closer to my medical appointment or the new rule will still get me covered ...?
thank you

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Hi again
Sorry to bother again.. but I need to confirm the following:
I called the only panel physician in my Province and booked the soonest appointment for july 8, 2021 (due to covid the soonest appointment is july 8, 2021)

if I receive an ITA this month or in March ; can I submit an application without the medical upfront and give a letter of explanation saying my appointment is far away in july 2021? That will still be within two 90 days pending periods from the date of submission... would they reject my application and ask me to get another ITA closer to my medical appointment or the new rule will still get me covered ...?
thank you

You can submit your application and explain in LoE that the earliest appoint available is in July. IRCC will not reject your applicator because of the missing medicals. Just make sure that you include the Letter of Explanation.

As per IRCC's policy:

Application intake

Once you get your medicals done, you can sent the upfront medical sheet via IRCC webform.