+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Medical exam - ladies menstruation

Waiting_F23

Sep 23, 2021
Hello
What happens if ladies are menstruating during the booked medical exam? i dont want to delay the process so hoping the rest of the exam can be done except urine. Any help / experience

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hello
What happens if ladies are menstruating during the booked medical exam? i dont want to delay the process so hoping the rest of the exam can be done except urine. Any help / experience
I thought ppl usually do not schedule urine test during their menstrual period.

Waiting_F23

Sep 23, 2021
they gave us a date 2 weeks out and that is when im expected to have my cycle. ive read a few articles and they mentioned they might ask to re-take urine afterwards, but suggest keeping the original appointment so that all other parts of the exam can be done.. xray, blood work, photos, etc.

MJSPARV

Sep 17, 2020
they gave us a date 2 weeks out and that is when im expected to have my cycle. ive read a few articles and they mentioned they might ask to re-take urine afterwards, but suggest keeping the original appointment so that all other parts of the exam can be done.. xray, blood work, photos, etc.
Yes my Dr had instruction paperwork that said keep your appointment and we'll get the urine sample when you're done your cycle. I was not on my cycle at the appointment but it was within the time I expected it so I was a bit worried until I saw that. You'll be fine - don't worry about it!

Reactions: Waiting_F23

Huntingwhale

Star Member
Jun 5, 2021
My wife and I went got our medical examination letter in Polish, Russia and English languages. Yet only the Polish and Russian letters mentioned anything about the woman not being on her cycle during the exam. The English letter said nothing about it. Wasn't until my wife brought it up and showed me the translation that I understood what she was talking about.

Angel1113

Jun 6, 2019
Ontario
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
24 June 2020
Med's Done....
05-06-2020
Hello
I was expecting my period around the date I was supposed to give my medical for my express entry application. So I called and asked the clinic and they told me to reschedule. Lady on the phone explained that they will ask me to redo the urine test if I do it while I am on my period and the panel physician won't be able to send the medical to IRCC until all tests are done anyways. So I might as well save the trip and just reschedule the whole exam.

Waiting_F23

Sep 23, 2021
thank you all... i will keep my appointment and see what they say but will let the physician know .. will keep everyone posted. thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
thank you all... i will keep my appointment and see what they say but will let the physician know .. will keep everyone posted. thanks
The issue is that blood can show up in the urine test (even if it is not visible in the sample) which would trigger concerns about bladder or kidney issues. That is why it is not recommended to do the exam while on your period. If you use a tampon and then shower before doing the sample you can probably give a
urine sample without any potential contamination from your period. Not an option for everyone but a way to avoid any contamination of the urine sample.

Waiting_F23

Sep 23, 2021
The issue is that blood can show up in the urine test (even if it is not visible in the sample) which would trigger concerns about bladder or kidney issues. That is why it is not recommended to do the exam while on your period. If you use a tampon and then shower before doing the sample you can probably give a
urine sample without any potential contamination from your period. Not an option for everyone but a way to avoid any contamination of the urine sample.
i called them, and they said this isnt a reason to reschedule it, but to let the dr know during the appointment, (maybe they may suggest to come back for urine or try the tampon method)...fingers corssed

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
i called them, and they said this isnt a reason to reschedule it, but to let the dr know during the appointment, (maybe they may suggest to come back for urine or try the tampon method)...fingers corssed
It can be done as long as you don’t contaminate the sample. Harder to do depending on how heavy your period is and your choice of menstrual product. I would suggest bringing a sample with you if possible but not sure if you’re allowed to do this in case people give another person’s sample if they know they have kidney issues. Worse comes to worse it can be repeated as long as the doctor knows it is likely contamination and not blood in your urine.