+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Medical Exam - Cancer Survival

C_Survival

Star Member
Apr 22, 2014
Hi,

I have a CEC PR application in process, and I am waiting or the medical exam request. However, recently I am getting nervous about it since
I have a history of cancer. I had a cancer removal surgery 5-6 years ago (outside Canada), since then I have been living in Canada, I didn't get any treatment, but I followed up on my cancer in Canada, which involved CT scans and doctors visits. I've been good and healthy since then. I am not required to do CT scans anymore as a 5 years period passed since I had cancer.

I am wondering if there is any chance this will affect my medical exam results? does anyone have a similar story of cancer history that has been treated >5 years ago and passed their medical exam? I've learned that if I have been cancer free for more than 5 years then they will consider it as unlikely to occur again.. I am looking for similar stories in hope to make me less nervous and more optimistic.

bhoomi

Jan 6, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-05-2013
AOR Received.
22-06-2013
IELTS Request
with application
Med's Request
24-01-2014
Med's Done....
22-02-2014
Passport Req..
12-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
26-04-2014
LANDED..........
30-04-2014
Be confident. IMHO you should be okay in Medicals, even if it might take a bit longer. Moreover, when you came to Canada did you have your medicals done? If yes, then there should be no issues. one of my family member was in the same position and our PR was approved.

C_Survival

Star Member
Apr 22, 2014
I had the cancer in between the time I did medicals and the time I came to Canada, so my old medicals didn't really include it.
mmm hopefully it won't take so much longer

Gary27

Star Member
Apr 10, 2014
C_Survival said:
Hi,

I have a CEC PR application in process, and I am waiting or the medical exam request. However, recently I am getting nervous about it since
I have a history of cancer. I had a cancer removal surgery 5-6 years ago (outside Canada), since then I have been living in Canada, I didn't get any treatment, but I followed up on my cancer in Canada, which involved CT scans and doctors visits. I've been good and healthy since then. I am not required to do CT scans anymore as a 5 years period passed since I had cancer.

I am wondering if there is any chance this will affect my medical exam results? does anyone have a similar story of cancer history that has been treated >5 years ago and passed their medical exam? I've learned that if I have been cancer free for more than 5 years then they will consider it as unlikely to occur again.. I am looking for similar stories in hope to make me less nervous and more optimistic.
Sir, when you fought and won cancer then this PR is minor thing. In my opinion, It should not affect your PR processing as this will be treated as "discrimination" on medical basis .

ZingyDNA

Champion Member
Aug 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-06-2013
AOR Received.
28-08-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
21-02-2014 (principal applicant)
Med's Done....
07-03-2014 (both, upfront for spouse)
Passport Req..
10-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014
Gary27 said:
Sir, when you fought and won cancer then this PR is minor thing. In my opinion, It should not affect your PR processing as this will be treated as "discrimination" on medical basis .
Exactly 8)

C_Survival

Star Member
Apr 22, 2014
Gary27 said:
Thanks, this comment cheered me up, but unfortunately this discrimination on medical basis occurs when they assess medical exams for immigration purposes. It is really sad, it is the one thing I really don't get about immigration rules. applications can be refused if medical condition MAY cause excessive demands on health care within the following 5 years period!

Sometimes I feel disappointed! you want me to be loyal immigrant who contributes to your economy, pay taxes, and loves the country (and I do) but if I ever get sick you don't want me anymore!

LPS

Champion Member
Aug 7, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-08-2013
AOR Received.
07-10-2013
Med's Request
07-03-2014
Med's Done....
26-03-2014
LANDED..........
09-04-2014
C_Survival said:
Sometimes I feel disappointed! you want me to be loyal immigrant who contributes to your economy, pay taxes, and loves the country (and I do) but if I ever get sick you don't want me anymore!
Oh, come on.

They can't kick someone out for being sick after they have become a permanent resident. The medical exam is about catching people who already have chronic conditions when they apply. Surely you can understand that they want PR applicants under economic classes to be self-sufficient?

As for your case - I hope you have been in remission long enough that it doesn't cause immigration headaches for you.

C_Survival

Star Member
Apr 22, 2014
LPS said:
Oh, come on.

They can't kick someone out for being sick after they have become a permanent resident. The medical exam is about catching people who already have chronic conditions when they apply. Surely you can understand that they want PR applicants under economic classes to be self-sufficient?

As for your case - I hope you have been in remission long enough that it doesn't cause immigration headaches for you.
I do understand the concept of being self-sufficient to become a permanent resident. However, I've been reading about the laws around medical inadmissibility and it surprises me that in cases where one has been in remission for less than 5 years is likely to be considered inadmissible since he/she may cost healthcare more than the average Canadian. I understand the importance of the rule and how it meant to prevent excessive demands. But I also realized how there are people out there (including me) may potentially be treated unfairly because of this law. It is just going to be harsh and unfair if me or anyone else get rejected because of cancer history older than 5 years!

LPS

Champion Member
Aug 7, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-08-2013
AOR Received.
07-10-2013
Med's Request
07-03-2014
Med's Done....
26-03-2014
LANDED..........
09-04-2014
Hm. I guess they have to draw the line somewhere. So, you're in the clear, right? As it has been more than five years?

C_Survival

Star Member
Apr 22, 2014
yes I am lucky it has been more than 5 years, they are much more relaxed about cases older than 5 years. at least this what I concluded from what I read but I cannot say for sure.

$albert$

Mar 13, 2014
Calgary
Visa Office......
ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
22-4-2013
Doc's Request.
22-08-2013 RCMP finger prints
Nomination.....
22-01-2013 additional doc requested about my employer
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
09-04-2014
Med's Done....
19-04-2014
Passport Req..
14-05-2014
VISA ISSUED...
28-05-2014
LANDED..........
04-06-2014
C_Survival said:
yes I am lucky it has been more than 5 years, they are much more relaxed about cases older than 5 years. at least this what I concluded from what I read but I cannot say for sure.

when I did my medicals they only asked for Syphilis and HIV in the blood work , so if you have any other issues how would they find out? do all applicants undergo same medical exam or it varied by country of origin?

LPS

Champion Member
Aug 7, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-08-2013
AOR Received.
07-10-2013
Med's Request
07-03-2014
Med's Done....
26-03-2014
LANDED..........
09-04-2014
$albert$ said:
when I did my medicals they only asked for Syphilis and HIV in the blood work , so if you have any other issues how would they find out? do all applicants undergo same medical exam or it varied by country of origin?
They ask you a number of questions about your medical history. I guess if one answers these questions truthfully, the matter of previous cancer treatments would come up. From memory I think they asked "have you ever stayed in a hospital overnight", which I suppose would lead to other questions if you answer yes.

milanshergill

Jul 27, 2016
Hey C_Survival,

How did your PR medical went? Were you able to clear it and get your PR?

RPGJ

Sep 23, 2019
Hi,

Hii..
I had thyroid cancer surgery on 29th June 2019 and I am planning to take admission for jan20 intake for study.
I am also advised for post surgery periodic check like CT scan.
Can you please tell me is it covered in public insurance or we have to pay additional. If not in insurance then how much cost I have to bear.
2. Is it (cancer treatment) create problem to get my study visa exam and later on for immigration.

Please guide me and suggest me about this condition...

Thanks & regards

RPGJ

Sep 23, 2019
Hi,

Hi,

Same medical case is with me....can you please help me....
Please give me your contact mail ID