+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Medical coveragrle for first three months

emytee

Oct 7, 2017
Hello,

I understand that following my landing in Canada, I will not be able to get medical insurance until I receive my PR card.

Will travel insurance be enough to cover me until the PR card arrives?
Is there anything I need to be aware of / take into consideration when I purchase my travel insurance?

Thanks for your time!

cdylie

Star Member
Apr 25, 2017
G0x2k0
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
15-02-2017
Doc's Request.
17-03-2017
AOR Received.
22-02-2017
Med's Request
22-01-2018
Med's Done....
25-01-2018
LANDED..........
14-03-2018
Hello,

I understand that following my landing in Canada, I will not be able to get medical insurance until I receive my PR card.

Is there anything I need to be aware of / take into consideration when I purchase my travel insurance?

Thanks for your time!

Hi,

I am currently waiting for my PR from spousal sponsorship from February 2017. I am not eligible for medical insurance here in Québec so I have been taking a private insurance for urgencies from Allianz.

Hope this helps.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

Thanks for your time!
This is not true if you settle in Alberta which you get medical insurance without waiting.

emytee

Oct 7, 2017
Thanks for the replies, guys.

Just a quick question to clear something up... Since we're visiting Canada for 2 weeks at easter, I was just going to get a year-long travel insurance policy, with the idea that the same policy would cover my first three months while I wait for rhe PR card.

Am I better off just getting one of these 'Visitor to Canada' policies instead? Or are they basically the same?

Thanks!

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Thanks for the replies, guys.

Just a quick question to clear something up... Since we're visiting Canada for 2 weeks at easter, I was just going to get a year-long travel insurance policy, with the idea that the same policy would cover my first three months while I wait for rhe PR card.

Am I better off just getting one of these 'Visitor to Canada' policies instead? Or are they basically the same?

Thanks!
You are wrongly assuming that your PR Card has anything to do with health insurance. What you are referring to is the 3 month waiting period that some provinces have. That waiting period starts on the day of landing (the stamp in your CoPR). Again, your PR Card has absolutely nothing to do with health insurance whatsoever.

You will be covered starting at the end of 3 months, so there is no point for basic private insurance beyond this point. Of course, if you want, you can get additional coverage once you have provincial health care (e.g. for dentist, drugs, therapy...)

emytee

Oct 7, 2017
You are wrongly assuming that your PR Card has anything to do with health insurance. What you are referring to is the 3 month waiting period that some provinces have. That waiting period starts on the day of landing (the stamp in your CoPR). Again, your PR Card has absolutely nothing to do with health insurance whatsoever.

You will be covered starting at the end of 3 months, so there is no point for basic private insurance beyond this point. Of course, if you want, you can get additional coverage once you have provincial health care (e.g. for dentist, drugs, therapy...)
Thanks for pointing that out!

I know I don't need coverage past the three months. What I was asking was if the travel insurance I get to cover my easter holiday will also cover the inital three months after landing. Timings wise, if I get a year of travel insurance then it will, but is it adequate coverage for those first three months after landing?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for pointing that out!

I know I don't need coverage past the three months. What I was asking was if the travel insurance I get to cover my easter holiday will also cover the inital three months after landing. Timings wise, if I get a year of travel insurance then it will, but is it adequate coverage for those first three months after landing?
Why do you need a year travel insurance if you are only visiting Canada for a merely 2 weeks?

emytee

Oct 7, 2017
Because I was wondering if it will cover me for the three months when I go back to land officially.

If it does cover me, then no need to spend more on private insurance.

If it doesn't cover me, I won't get the years coverage, I'll just get the 2 weeks.

(And it's a year just because the company offers me a year long deal for about £40 more than it costs me for the 2 weeks... So that would be cheaper than a Visitor to Canada policy - I just don't know if travel insurance will actually cover me).

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes travel insurance should cover emergencies during the initial 3 months but not regular healthcare. You will have to look at your policy to confirm. What province are you moving to?

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Because I was wondering if it will cover me for the three months when I go back to land officially.

If it does cover me, then no need to spend more on private insurance.

If it doesn't cover me, I won't get the years coverage, I'll just get the 2 weeks.

(And it's a year just because the company offers me a year long deal for about £40 more than it costs me for the 2 weeks... So that would be cheaper than a Visitor to Canada policy - I just don't know if travel insurance will actually cover me).
I don't feel confident answering any of these points without knowing the details of the insurance. There is thousands of different kinds of travel insurances out there.

emytee

Oct 7, 2017
I don't feel confident answering any of these points without knowing the details of the insurance. There is thousands of different kinds of travel insurances out there.
That's understandable. I just wondered if other people had done it, really!