+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Medical bills for a deceased tourist in Canada.

ANNA1234

Feb 14, 2018
Hello,
I will cut the long story short here. My mother came to Canada as a tourist for 6 months. We had her covered under a tourist Insurance. She fell sick and had some tests done at the Hospital, thereafter, was diagnosed with Cancer. I was told by the doctor that as the Cancer treatment will be quite expensive so its better is you take her back home and do it there. We got her discharged at the very same day from the hospital. Now the Insurance company is not ready to cover these expensive due to cancer is involved. My mother has passed away but there is a medical bill of about $15000,which there is no way I can pay. What are the consequences ofnot paying the hospital?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'm very sorry to hear about your mother.

There are a few different things that could potentially happen. The hospital could send a collection agency after you. Your credit rating could be impacted which may affect your ability to secure lines of credit / mortgages / credit cards / etc. It's possible (although probably unlikely) you could be taken to court.

Your best option is to negotiate with the hospital to reduce the payment - and then to pay that amount off.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Sorry for your loss and the grief the insurance company is giving you.

Personally, I would be inclined to chase the insurance company down and pay out. They provided coverage (whether they requested a medical or not), and as long as the cancer wasn't previously diagnosed, I doubt there is any way they can refuse (provided its a reputable provider). They may take their time and delay you or attempt to dissuade you, but that is what you paid for in the first place.

Reactions: scylla

ranirani

Feb 22, 2014
Hello,
I will cut the long story short here. My mother came to Canada as a tourist for 6 months. We had her covered under a tourist Insurance. She fell sick and had some tests done at the Hospital, thereafter, was diagnosed with Cancer. I was told by the doctor that as the Cancer treatment will be quite expensive so its better is you take her back home and do it there. We got her discharged at the very same day from the hospital. Now the Insurance company is not ready to cover these expensive due to cancer is involved. My mother has passed away but there is a medical bill of about $15000,which there is no way I can pay. What are the consequences ofnot paying the hospital?