+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

medical aid for pregnant

cmfugen

Apr 18, 2006
hi

my wife is pregnant of 4 months and i am planning to move i june first week, i came to know that till the time we get our health card hospitals dont help for medical conditions in such case how i get help for my pregnant wife if any need arises.

the second is that what are the benefits and facilities canadian govt. extending to pregnants.

the third is that on landing papers certain things are that like the address of the person who is going to asssist are to filled prior to landing or tobe filled in presence of port officer.

please clear my doubts

thank you.
chandra

BCbound

Star Member
Jan 4, 2005
As your wife is already pregnant, I think all provincial health care systems will look on it as a pre-existing condition and even after the 3 month waiting period the cost of her pregnancy is unlikely to be covered.

Most people buy interim private insurance from a company like Canadasure to cover them during the 3 month waiting period. I also doubt that they will cover your wife's pregnancy.

It may well be that the only way you are going to get your wife care is to pay for it. That will not be inexpensive.

peterm

Jan 7, 2006
From Canadasure.com, FAQ page:

"If you are pregnant we recommend that you travel to Canada in the early stages of your pregnancy so that you will be fully covered by your Provincial Health Plan when the baby is born. Alternatively, you may wish to delay your departure until after the baby is born, as a routine childbirth without complications will cost in the region of C$5000-C$7000."

This seems to imply that if the move takes place more than 3 months prior to the birth, that the birth would be covered by the Provincial Health Plan. You should confirm this yourself, though - contact the health care administration for the province you're moving to.