+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Me: US citizen; common law partner, we both reside in USA, how to be permanent

render

Jul 30, 2010
I am a US citizen living in US. My girlfriend is dual US/ Canadian citizen and lives in US.
How can I qualify as common law partner if we both live in US ?
I want to become a Canadian permanent resident. ( We cannot move to Canada due to work).

So if I can get rental receipts, joint bank accounts etc in USA and prove we live 1 year together, turn it in and become a Canadian resident?? how is common law defined or does marriage work better to become resident?

What might be missing ? I really want to pursue the common law partner thing. Please help
Thanks so much in advance. You can also email: rendertear15@yahoo.com or reply in here

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you can not move to Canada due to work, why do you want to be a permanent resident of Canada? Seems to me to be more hassle than it's worth.

First your girlfriend would have to sponsor you for immigration. You need to prove that your relationship is real and that you have lived together for 12 months or more. You also need to prove that you are planning on moving to Canada when you get your PR.

Once you send in all the forms and your $1040, the processing time is around 6-8 months. Then you get your PR visa and go to Canada to land as a PR. You have to give an address in Canada for your PR card to be mailed to.

You need to live in Canada 2 years out of every 5 to keep your PR. A exception is made if you are accompanying a Canadian citizen spouse in another country but they could actually decide that this does not apply to your case if it looks like your girlfriend is accompanying you in the US and not the other way around.

After 5 years, your PR card expires but you must be in Canada to be able to renew it.

minna

Jun 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16/07/2010
AOR Received.
08/09/2010
File Transfer...
19/08/2010
Med's Done....
13/07/2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
30/11/2010
VISA ISSUED...
15/12/2010
LANDED..........
18/12/2010
well, if you go through the process, you would both have to prove to immigration that you would move to Canada when you received your permanent residence.

I am a canadian/us dual citizen currently living in Florida and am in the process of sponsoring my US citizen common-law partner. We've lived together for almost 7 years now. We filled out the forms, provided proof of our relationship, as required, and also provided proof of our intentions to move to Canada when he receives his permanent residence.

The difference being that we actually really want to move to Canada (I'm pregnant and we would prefer to raise our child in Canada - closer to my family). If you don't want to live in Canada, what's the point of getting a PR?? It does require you to live in Canada for at least a certain amount of time, or else your PR can lapse (I haven't done the research, because we will be living in Canada, so haven't bothered to find out those details). It's an expensive process - will cost you at least $1500 CAD (between the medical exam and the Immigration fees, 1040 CAD, and the fees to the FBI for a record check, as well as sending your applications in such a way that they will be trackable) and the application itself is not necessarily a walk in the park - requires some thought and effort.

re-reading your post, perhaps I misunderstood -- you don't have to live together in canada to qualify as common-law partners. Living together in the US, or anywhere else is fine. Because the government of Canada recognizes common-law partnerships legally, they allow common-law partners to be sponsored to immigrate. You do not have to be living in a place that recognizes common-law partnership to have your partnership recognized for the purposes of immigration. Does that answer your question better??

YorkFactory

Oct 18, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
they could actually decide that this does not apply to your case if it looks like your girlfriend is accompanying you in the US and not the other way around
I've never heard this. Is there any CIC literature that backs this up?

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
YorkFactory said:
NO, there is no literature that backs this up - if the gf is the Canadian, then of course she would be "accompanying" him to the US. That's the whole point of the legislation. Under permanent residency requirements it is very clear that spouse/common-law partners maintain their PR even while out of Canada as long as they are living with their sponsor. It does not matter if they originally met and qualified for permanent status in the other country and then chose to return there at some point. However, contrary to what is implied by Leon's reply, the Canadian sponsor (not the applicant) does have to prove that they intend to settle in Canada in order to be eligible to sponsor. This proof must take the form of having a job offer, or being accepted to school, having a lease or mortgage on a property, and severing ties to the country of residence, etc. So the situation that Leon references, where someone would apply for PR and never actually come to Canada, should never be able to happen. Eventually, though, if they wanted to go back to the States (in this case) there would be nothing stopping them and they could live there together for the rest of their lives and he wouldn't lose his Canadian PR.

IMHO, though, if this couple does not actually intend to move back to Canada in the near future and only wants PR for the foreign national as a "safeguard" for later, it's probably a waste of money to apply for permanent residence at this point. The sponsor would likely be refused for not being able to prove intent to re-settle.

I

iarblue

Robsluv is correct and i seen in another post on here a refusal, because they said that they did not believe they were going to move to Canada after the PR visa was issued.And robs gave you ideas of what you need to prove this.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
YorkFactory said:
I only heard about it recently myself. It was posted on this board. Maybe you can find it if you search or maybe whoever posted the link to it could re-post it here.

This was an actual case where a man had his PR revoked because it was deemed that his Canadian wife was accompanying him in a foreign country and not the other way around. Now, I don't agree with Robslub that the wife is always accompanying the husband. If the wife has a good job and the husband less so, it still could be said that the is the one whose drive is to reside in the US and he is accompanying her but if she is on the other hand not working or a stay home mom, she could also be that in Canada so then it could be said that she is the one accompanying him.

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
Is it possible that the OP just misunderstands the process and thinks that they need to live in Canada in order to apply but chooses not to because they need income while waiting out the process?

Also, does the "accompanying rule" depend on whether one or both is working? Say for example (I'll use myself) my Canadian partner retires from a long career in a large CAN company and decides to set up a consulting practice in the US while I (nowhere close to retirement) take a job in a US company. Could it be argued that I can not maintain my PR status since it appears that he is accompanying me? Or does it only matter that we live together and our working status is irrelevant? Thanks in advance for any opinions on this hypothetical situation or the accompanying ruling in general. Allison

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Leon said:
You need to live in Canada 2 years out of every 5 to keep your PR. A exception is made if you are accompanying a Canadian citizen spouse in another country but they could actually decide that this does not apply to your case if it looks like your girlfriend is accompanying you in the US and not the other way around.
I have read this case as well, but I've just been on Canlii and couldn't find it. However, I remember reading one case where the judge said that ordinarily if the PR is with his/her Canadian spouse outside of Canada, that time will count towards the residency obligation, but that there had been a couple of cases where the judge decided that the Canadian was accompanying the PR, (and not the other way around) and so the days outside of Canada did not count.
It really looked like an anomalous result - that almost all of the time, the judge didn't care who was accompanying whom, and so if the PR was with their Canadian citizen spouse outside of Canada, those days counted for the residency obligation. In just a couple of cases, the judge did care who was accompanying whom.

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
This thread is getting really confusing - so let me see if I can clarify.

First of all, my understanding of the OP's situation is that he is US, she is dual Canadian/US, and they are living together in the States
render said:
I am a US citizen living in US. My girlfriend is dual US/ Canadian citizen and lives in US.
He is wondering about how he can qualify to be sponsored as a common-law partner for permanent residence in Canada when they are living together in the States. Wants to know how he can qualify as a c/l partner if they're both living in the States - which indicates that maybe they think they have to be living in Canada in order to establish a common-law partnership.

render said:
I want to become a Canadian permanent resident. How can I qualify as common law partner if we both live in US?
He goes on to say that they can't give up their jobs in the States to move to Canada to establish their common-law qualification and, basically, asks whether he can provide evidence from the States of their common-law partnership and "turn it in" to become a Canadian resident.

render said:
(We cannot move to Canada due to work). So if I can get rental receipts, joint bank accounts etc in USA and prove we live 1 year together, (can I) turn it in and become a Canadian resident??
The simple answer is, "Yes". They can establish a common-law partnership while living together in the States that qualifies him to be sponsored by her for permanent residence. There is no "accompanying" anything in this scenario. Because she is a Canadian citizen, she is eligible to apply to sponsor him while she's living in the States - but she has to submit evidence with their application of her intention to settle in Canada by way of a job, acceptance at a school, a lease or mortgage for property, etc.

I think the first confusion came because the OP said, "We cannot move to Canada because of jobs" and that was interpreted by several to mean that there was no intention to actually move to Canada.
Leon said:
If you can not move to Canada due to work, why do you want to be a permanent resident of Canada?
minna said:
The difference being that we actually really want to move to Canada
Looking back, I think the OP was just under the mistaken impression that the couple had to be living in Canada in order to establish a common-law partnership that would qualify him to apply for permanent status . . . and that would not be possible because neither of them has a job in Canada for support. Minna got this, too, after looking at the thread again:
minna said:
re-reading your post, perhaps I misunderstood -- you don't have to live together in canada to qualify as common-law partners. Living together in the US, or anywhere else is fine. Because the government of Canada recognizes common-law partnerships legally, they allow common-law partners to be sponsored to immigrate. You do not have to be living in a place that recognizes common-law partnership to have your partnership recognized for the purposes of immigration.
OK, so that establishes all of that. The second part was this bit about the applicant having to prove that he intends to settle in Canada - not true. The only "proof" a spousal/common-law applicant is ever required to give of his/her intention of settling in Canada is at "landing" when he has to give a Canadian address for purposes of receiving the PR card. As mentioned before, though - a Canadian citizen sponsor who is living abroad has to prove they intend to (re)settle in Canada with their sponsored partner. PR applications have been refused when a sponsor living abroad does not provide sufficient evidence of their intention to return to Canada . . . but applicants do not have to prove they will move to Canada. In fact an applicant, even after being approved for permanent status, is under no obligation to actually finalize the process by "landing".

The third thing we got into here was about maintaining PR status. A permanent resident maintains PR status by residing in Canada for two years of every five year period - but that requirement is waived if the PR is living in another country "accompanying" their Canadian sponsor. Now, if the Canadian sponsor is also a PR, they BOTH have to maintain their PR by residing in Canada for two years of every five year period anyway - so there would be no extended absence from Canada for either of them or they'd both lose PR status. But if the Canadian sponsor is a citizen of Canada, they can live wherever they have status to live (even in their sponsored partner's country) and the sponsored partner maintains Canadian permanent residence (without having to live in Canada for two years in every five) just by virtue of continuing to live with their sponsor. So, in this case, the Canadian sponsor has dual US/Canada citizenship - meaning she can live in either country. The OP can be sponsored by her for permanent status in Canada but in order for that to be approved, she has to prove that she intends to settle in Canada. After he's approved, he "lands" and he has to provide CBSA with a Canadian address to mail his PR card to. They "move" to Canada and set up house - but let's say they can't get good jobs, so they want to go back to the States. He does not lose his PR status (or risk having it revoked) because they move back to the States. As long as he lives with her - no matter where - he maintains his Canadian PR status and they can come back to Canada anytime they see fit. If the relationship ends, he has to move back to Canada and maintain the two years in every five year period in order to remain a Canadian PR.

Now, I don't know the circumstances surrounding the case of the guy whose PR was "revoked because it was deemed his Canadian wife was accompanying him in a foreign country and not the other way around". I'd have to see the thread, but it sounds like maybe she never intended to come to Canada, or she didn't resettle in Canada and he tried to come on his own.

AllisonVSC said:
Also, does the "accompanying rule" depend on whether one or both is working? Say for example (I'll use myself) my Canadian partner retires from a long career in a large CAN company and decides to set up a consulting practice in the US while I (nowhere close to retirement) take a job in a US company. Could it be argued that I can not maintain my PR status since it appears that he is accompanying me? Or does it only matter that we live together and our working status is irrelevant?
Has nothing at all to do with whether one or both are working. In your situation: after a long career in a large Canadian company your Canadian partner wants to retire and the two of you decide to move to the US. He wants to set up a consulting practice there . . . you're not ready to retire so you get a job. Assuming he could get status in the States to set up a consulting business (you might have to sponsor him and you'd actually need to be earning a US income to do that), as long as he is a Canadian citizen, nothing in that scenario causes you to lose your Canadian PR status. He is still your sponsor, regardless of whether he is working (or living) in Canada, and as long as you are living with him, you maintain your PR status.
Here's the information from the Immigration & Refugee Protection Act, Paragraph 28

28(1)A permanent resident must comply with a residency obligation with respect to every five-year period.
(2) The following provisions govern the residency obligation under subsection (1):
(a) a permanent resident complies with the residency obligation with respect to a five-year period if, on each of a total of at
least 730 days in that five-year period, they are
(i) physically present in Canada,
(ii) outside Canada accompanying a Canadian citizen who is their spouse or common-law partner or, in the case of a
child, their parent

Now, the one thing is, though, that time spent outside of Canada with a Canadian citizen partner does not count towards the residency requirement for application for Canadian citizenship.

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
Robsluv, You are AMAZING. Thank you for the thoughtfulness and concerted effort you put into all of your posts. I think by the time we are ready to consider his post retirement options I will have been here long enough to become a citizen myself. Now, if I could only find a job here...
Allison

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
AllisonVSC said:
Now, if I could only find a job here...
Allison
I know what you mean. Not much out there.

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
RobsLuv said:
I know what you mean. Not much out there.
Have you considered becoming a certified immigration consultant? :)

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
AllisonVSC said:
Have you considered becoming a certified immigration consultant? :)
Actually, yeah. But apparently I'd have to get a university degree first, before I could even get into the program. I'm too old for that. ;)