+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Me and wife moved back to Canada, which tax documents shall we fill out?

tawakoly

Feb 20, 2016
Hello everyone!

I hope you all are having a great day!

Both me [new comer/permanent resident] and my wife [Canadian citizen] moved to Canada from abroad in February 2020, I need help which documents should we fill out?
Keeping in consideration that:

- My wife didn't file for her taxes when she left Canada she in September 2016, and became a resident of another county.
- We want to apply for the child tax benefits, and her CRA account is locked.

To my understanding my wife has to file her taxes for 2016, which is the year she left Canada and severed her residential ties, as well as 2019, even though none of us was a resident of Canada in 2019, but only for the purpose of receiving the child tax benefits, is that correct?

We're not sure which forms to fill, can anyone help?

Thank you!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello everyone!

I hope you all are having a great day!

Both me [new comer/permanent resident] and my wife [Canadian citizen] moved to Canada from abroad in February 2020, I need help which documents should we fill out?
Keeping in consideration that:

- My wife didn't file for her taxes when she left Canada she in September 2016, and became a resident of another county.
- We want to apply for the child tax benefits, and her CRA account is locked.

To my understanding my wife has to file her taxes for 2016, which is the year she left Canada and severed her residential ties, as well as 2019, even though none of us was a resident of Canada in 2019, but only for the purpose of receiving the child tax benefits, is that correct?

We're not sure which forms to fill, can anyone help?

Thank you!
She should have filed 2016 taxes in 2017. She doesn't file 2019 taxes, as she was not a resident.