+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Me and My husband both want to work in Canada. Should we both apply via express entry for PR?

Deepa Kampani

Mar 8, 2018
Me and My husband both want to work in Canada. Should we both apply via express entry for PR? OR 1 should apply and the other will be eligible to work as spouse.

bibinpanicker

Star Member
Jun 30, 2017
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes

picklee

Feb 19, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can apply together or separately for PR depending on the number of points in each case. But if only one applies for PR, then the other is not eligible to work because it is considered non-accompanying spouse. So basically, if you both want to work and live in Canada, then you will both need to apply for PR.

The other alternative is to apply for work permits:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=199&top=17

Bigbreak

Feb 28, 2018
You can apply together or separately for PR depending on the number of points in each case. But if only one applies for PR, then the other is not eligible to work because it is considered non-accompanying spouse. So basically, if you both want to work and live in Canada, then you will both need to apply for PR.

The other alternative is to apply for work permits:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=199&top=17
so if the primary applicants get the PR , the spouse doesnt get to work by defaault. They have to apply for PR or work permit separately ?

BEA78

Star Member
Aug 9, 2016
Mexico City
Category........
FSW
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
so if the primary applicants get the PR , the spouse doesnt get to work by defaault. They have to apply for PR or work permit separately ?
No, the accompanying spouse DOES get to work, too.

You have to apply together, one is the principal applicant and the other the accompanying spouse; what the previous posters meant is that you should decide who is the principal applicant according to which one of you gets the most points.

Reactions: bibinpanicker

Bigbreak

Feb 28, 2018
what if the primary applicant mentions accompanying spouse and spouse also makes a new EE profile separately ?

bibinpanicker

Star Member
Jun 30, 2017
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
No. If both applicant and accompanying spouse are included in the PR application and get PR, then both are eligible to work. What @picklee meant to say was that if one of you apply for PR, the spouse will be non-accompanying spouse and so will not be eligible to work until the spouse applies for PR and gets it.
what if the primary applicant mentions accompanying spouse and spouse also makes a new EE profile separately ?
Why would you want to do that? Either way, you would be submitting the same documents. The application is selected based on the calculated points.