Med's Request
20-12-2012
Med's Done....
27-12-2012
Passport Req..
submitted with application
VISA ISSUED...
06-02-2013
I got this message today from McGill: "your application is being considered by the Graduate Training Committee"

I was told that results (both accepted and rejections) will be released shortly. By "shortly", I am assuming that's about within a month.

shethroh

Star Member
Jan 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bigkahuna said:
I got this message today from McGill: "your application is being considered by the Graduate Training Committee"

I was told that results (both accepted and rejections) will be released shortly. By "shortly", I am assuming that's about within a month.
Great!! All the best!! I am sure that you'd get a positive reply, as you have already established contact with advisor. That certainly helps.

bigkahuna

Star Member
Nov 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-12-2012
Med's Request
20-12-2012
Med's Done....
27-12-2012
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
06-02-2013
shethroh said:
Great!! All the best!! I am sure that you'd get a positive reply, as you have already established contact with advisor. That certainly helps.
Thanks alot! I really hope its all good...

I know someone (applying for MA in political science), who just received a rejection letter today :( arghhh....

shethroh

Star Member
Jan 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Oh! The situation with me is that, no professor has replied me I dont know if they are too busy or they already have confirmed with another students. Can you pm me the draft of mail that you sent the professor, maybe the reason why I didnt receive reply can be not communicating properly and clearly.

bigkahuna

Star Member
Nov 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-12-2012
Med's Request
20-12-2012
Med's Done....
27-12-2012
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
06-02-2013
shethroh said:
Oh! The situation with me is that, no professor has replied me I dont know if they are too busy or they already have confirmed with another students. Can you pm me the draft of mail that you sent the professor, maybe the reason why I didnt receive reply can be not communicating properly and clearly.
hi, which program are you applying to? In my case, I have to have a contact professor prior to lodging an application to McGill. IN my program, apparently, they will usually reject all applicants without a contact professor beforehand. The prof will have to confirm any funding to support the student. I was hoping to get an external fellowships, so that I will not rely with the department's project funds. But, still I got no response from my fellowship application...

Josh21

Oct 27, 2012
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
IELTS Request
Waived
Med's Done....
01-09-2012
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
McGill is actually going through severe budget cuts currently because of the sudden change in the Quebec Government's funding commitment. That being said, there will be fewer applicants who require funding admitted most probably. I would suggest you guys take anything you get, be it a TA or well anything else.

This is the message on the intra-mcgill server.

Following the Summit, some media reported that the cuts to Quebec’s universities had been reduced by 75 per cent. This is not the case. In reality, we face the same level of cuts -- $38 million for McGill in this year and next. The government offer provides some flexibility in the time frame and removed the threat of monetary penalties for not taking the cuts now, but we must implement them.

As well, the Government has described reinvestment beginning in 2015, economic conditions in Quebec permitting. The Government is setting up a work group to review how this funding would be allocated to universities, and we do not know what portion McGill will receive. Given this, and the significant economic uncertainties, we cannot responsibly count on this investment.

In addition to uncertain government funding, McGill’s operating budget must cover increased compulsory expenditures in certain areas, including contributions to the McGill Pension Plan, new obligations under the Pay Equity legislation and urgent building maintenance and repair. These compulsory costs have grown substantially.

Because of these cuts, McGill’s accumulated deficit (non-GAAP) will increase by 30 per cent this year (2012-13), from $93M to $120M, and is on a trajectory to double by 2019. To act responsibly, we must begin to reduce costs substantially now. We must look to the long term and do everything we can to protect our core mission and keep McGill a vibrant, internationally competitive institution of higher learning.

These new financial realities will lead to hard decisions that will affect all employee groups: executives, managers and unionized groups. We have considered the thoughtful suggestions from the McGill community, and we will be discussing with each of McGill’s employee groups a menu of options to reduce expenses, such as salary and hiring freezes, an early retirement program for administrative and support staff, and cuts to services and programs.

Compensation (salary and benefits) makes up 75 per cent of our core operating costs, and if we are unable to reduce expenses to the needed level through these measures, we will have to explore job losses.

This is a tough time for everyone at McGill, and everyone will be asked to make sacrifices and pull together for the collective good of our University. McGill has faced threats before, such as the repercussions from the meltdown of financial markets. We came out of those crises stronger. We will do the same this time.

bigkahuna

Star Member
Nov 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-12-2012
Med's Request
20-12-2012
Med's Done....
27-12-2012
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
06-02-2013
Compensation (salary and benefits) makes up 75 per cent of our core operating costs, and if we are unable to reduce expenses to the needed level through these measures, we will have to explore job losses.

It is a sad reality at Quebec, i guess. that is also the very reason why i would like to have an external fellowship. Even my contact prof. told me it is better to have an external grant than relying on project funds or department assistantships. None the less, we will take it as our last resort, if my application failed.

anyway, Thanks for all the helpful information josh! :)

shethroh

Star Member
Jan 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bigkahuna said:
hi, which program are you applying to? In my case, I have to have a contact professor prior to lodging an application to McGill. IN my program, apparently, they will usually reject all applicants without a contact professor beforehand. The prof will have to confirm any funding to support the student. I was hoping to get an external fellowships, so that I will not rely with the department's project funds. But, still I got no response from my fellowship application...
Mechanical engineering thesis based.

Blast

Feb 14, 2013
yankitwizzy said:
Hmmmm. You sound Nigerian
Interesting. Humor me please, How do I sound Nigerian? How do Nigerians sound in general?
On a different note, if it won't be any trouble could you post your stats and the department you applied to? Any updates from the department yet?

Josh21

Oct 27, 2012
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
IELTS Request
Waived
Med's Done....
01-09-2012
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
Blast said:
Interesting. Humor me please, How do I sound Nigerian? How do Nigerians sound in general?
On a different note, if it won't be any trouble could you post your stats and the department you applied to? Any updates from the department yet?
I assume it was reasonable deduction on his part. Roughly 90% of the posters here are from Asia or Africa. Countries with english as a first language sort of exclude asia as a whole and leaves very few like Nigeria left. But yes, you dont "sound" like any particular nation since most people fluent in english type the same way regardless of citizenship.

yankitwizzy

Feb 28, 2013
Blast said:
lol. There has been no update on my application status. I applied to ECE (Thesis based). GRE: Q-161, V-158, AWA-4.5. TOEFL: 109. Undergrad GPA wasn't so wonderful. Approximately 3.5 meanwhile it seems they want people from 3.7 and above. Research experience: minimal

With all this budget cuts ish, IMO international applicants that have funding have an upper hand.

You stats are excellent by the way. I wish I had them

Blast

Feb 14, 2013
yankitwizzy said:
lol. There has been no update on my application status. I applied to ECE (Thesis based). GRE: Q-161, V-158, AWA-4.5. TOEFL: 109. Undergrad GPA wasn't so wonderful. Approximately 3.5 meanwhile it seems they want people from 3.7 and above. Research experience: minimal

With all this budget cuts ish, IMO international applicants that have funding have an upper hand.

You stats are excellent by the way. I wish I had them
Thanks, I also believe that applicants with external funding would be given favorable consideration. As far as academics and test scores are concerned, we are well above the required minimum. For curiosity sake, does this: PR****D mean anything to you? I am tempted to believe it does.

yankitwizzy

Feb 28, 2013
Blast said:
Thanks, I also believe that applicants with external funding would be given favorable consideration. As far as academics and test scores are concerned, we are well above the required minimum. For curiosity sake, does this: PR****D mean anything to you? I am tempted to believe it does.
Nah it doesn't mean anything to me. Which research group do you look forward to joining in ECE?

I mailed them and this was their reply

The status “ready for review” means your file is being reviewed. Professors have until the end of March to select students to the program. Therefore final decisions will be sent out via mail in the first week of April.

So at least I can calm down a bit till the 1st week of April : ;D

Blast

Feb 14, 2013
yankitwizzy said:
Nah it doesn't mean anything to me. Which research group do you look forward to joining in ECE?

I mailed them and this was their reply

The status “ready for review” means your file is being reviewed. Professors have until the end of March to select students to the program. Therefore final decisions will be sent out via mail in the first week of April.

So at least I can calm down a bit till the 1st week of April : ;D
Ok, I see. I plan on joining the Systems and Control group. The waiting continues then. All the best.

sabby2612

Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Please confirm if you fall in SPP or in general. If you fall in SPP, you need to buy a GIC of CAD 10,000 which covers your living expenses and at least one semester fee. For visa purpose, they won't check if you have money to cover your travelling and other expenses except your tuition fee for one semester and one year living expense which is taken care by GIC (10000 CAD). So please ensure whatever the fee of your program is, it shouldn't be beyond CAD 6500 because out of your Loan of 10 Lac, 5,50000 is to cover your living expense. do not worry if your first semester fee is higher than 4,50000 rupees as there is a solution available. read the following link, scotiabank.com/ca/en/0,,5698,00.html