20-12-2012
Med's Done....
27-12-2012
Passport Req..
submitted with application
VISA ISSUED...
06-02-2013
Blast said:
Hello all, I am also an applicant to McGill's ECE program for September 2013. I applied for MEng - Thesis. From what I saw on gradcafe, I believe McGill admits are usually available from early to mid march. By the way, does anyone have any info on whether external funding increases an applicant's chances of getting in?
Funding is a factor for research based students. My supervisor-to-be and the dept. coordinator told me about it before I applied. However, of course, it also depends on the applicant's credentials (publications, grades, previous research experience etc.).

PLease let us know if you got any replies from them or any changes in your Minerva Status :)

Good luck! I am also waiting for a response from the system or the dept.

bigkahuna

Star Member
Nov 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-12-2012
Med's Request
20-12-2012
Med's Done....
27-12-2012
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
06-02-2013
yankitwizzy said:
There has been some silence on this thread. Is it that you all (those that applied to McGill) have gotten admission?
as for me, silence means there isnt really any changes on my application status to mcgill yet... the wait is agonizing :p

how bout yours?

sue_in

Star Member
Jul 20, 2012
New Delhi
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-10-2012
IELTS Request
15-09-2012 (Band 8 )
File Transfer...
03-10-2012
Med's Done....
25-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
12-10-2012
Josh21 said:
Montreal is very cheap compared to the other provinces. Rent is cheap, usually 600 for a single studio or sometimes a living room+bedroom+bathroom which includes heating/electricity/hot water and sometimes internet. You get shared accommodation for 400 or so aswell.

I dont spend much on day to day expenses because I live so close to the campus so there's no transportation costs. Food is cheap here, primarily pizza if you like it is very affordable. I dont usually eat breakfast since I dont have time because of classes. You can live pretty well for 100$/week on food. If you buy groceries and stuff, you probably will use lesser then that.
Contrary to your beliefs I think Montreal is quite expensive compared to other cities in Canada. Don't get fooled by price tags. The VAT/GST and PST taxes + MANDATORY TIP (wtf?) is pretty high :) But if you are smart, you can file for tax returns each fiscal year and you get some money back(~ $80-100) from govt depending upon your stated income/expenses. 'Good' pizza is pretty expensive too compared to shitty street stuff and same goes with 'good' restaurants where you actually sit and eat (not Subway/McDs). Spending $100/week is insane too. If you buy groceries and make your own food at home, you can live in $150-200/month comfortably. Be flexible in food. Try Arabic/Lebanese/Chinese cuisine from time to time along with Indian stuff. Rent, as you have stated, is OK. Its not worth for what you pay usually but if you hunt well (the way I have roamed on Montreal streets) you can get a good deal. Renting a studio is pretty bad too. Its more expensive, and boring IMO. Try for new constructions in concrete. They will give you less trouble.

Coming to the point about language, culture and traditions, be prepared for a culture shock if you are from a small town in India/Pak. The metro/NCR guys are well-off as we are used to this stuff day in and day out. Language is predominantly French on my side of the hill (Mount Royal) in and around UdeM, HEC and Poly and English on the other side of the hill (Downtown - McGill and Concordia). I personally find this francophone region better as I see more open spaces, less huge buildings (which I have got bored of) and less desis (gives me an opportunity to improve French, try French cuisine etc) The french which they speak here is pretty much different from the French in France. Its more of a Quebecois accent - harsh and loud (Pardonnez moi Mesdames et Messieurs) :)

Also, get a bike (aka cycle in India) here. Its almost mandatory if you want to travel, explore and have fun. The metro is not as good as Delhi/Bangalore Metro. Its better than Kolkata Metro though. Buses are definitely better and awesome but rates public transit rates are high as compared to homeland.

Josh21

Oct 27, 2012
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
IELTS Request
Waived
Med's Done....
01-09-2012
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
sue_in said:
Contrary to your beliefs I think Montreal is quite expensive compared to other cities in Canada. Don't get fooled by price tags. The VAT/GST and PST taxes + MANDATORY TIP (wtf?) is pretty high :) But if you are smart, you can file for tax returns each fiscal year and you get some money back(~ $80-100) from govt depending upon your stated income/expenses. 'Good' pizza is pretty expensive too compared to *censored word*ty street stuff and same goes with 'good' restaurants where you actually sit and eat (not Subway/McDs). Spending $100/week is insane too. If you buy groceries and make your own food at home, you can live in $150-200/month comfortably. Be flexible in food. Try Arabic/Lebanese/Chinese cuisine from time to time along with Indian stuff. Rent, as you have stated, is OK. Its not worth for what you pay usually but if you hunt well (the way I have roamed on Montreal streets) you can get a good deal. Renting a studio is pretty bad too. Its more expensive, and boring IMO. Try for new constructions in concrete. They will give you less trouble.

Coming to the point about language, culture and traditions, be prepared for a culture shock if you are from a small town in India/Pak. The metro/NCR guys are well-off as we are used to this stuff day in and day out. Language is predominantly French on my side of the hill (Mount Royal) in and around UdeM, HEC and Poly and English on the other side of the hill (Downtown - McGill and Concordia). I personally find this francophone region better as I see more open spaces, less huge buildings (which I have got bored of) and less desis (gives me an opportunity to improve French, try French cuisine etc) The french which they speak here is pretty much different from the French in France. Its more of a Quebecois accent - harsh and loud (Pardonnez moi Mesdames et Messieurs) :)

Also, get a bike (aka cycle in India) here. Its almost mandatory if you want to travel, explore and have fun. The metro is not as good as Delhi/Bangalore Metro. Its better than Kolkata Metro though. Buses are definitely better and awesome but rates public transit rates are high as compared to homeland.
I think mandatory tip is for all provinces? I havent really been forced to tip anyone here though yet, its awkward if you dont but yes still optional.

sue_in

Star Member
Jul 20, 2012
New Delhi
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-10-2012
IELTS Request
15-09-2012 (Band 8 )
File Transfer...
03-10-2012
Med's Done....
25-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
12-10-2012
Josh21 said:
I think mandatory tip is for all provinces? I havent really been forced to tip anyone here though yet, its awkward if you dont but yes still optional.
Its mandatory socially, not legally.

Josh21

Oct 27, 2012
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
IELTS Request
Waived
Med's Done....
01-09-2012
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
sue_in said:
Its mandatory socially, not legally.
Standard is around 10% tip I guess but I'm pretty sure thats the same in other major cities like Vancouver aswell so its pretty much the same overall.

yankitwizzy

Feb 28, 2013
bigkahuna said:
as for me, silence means there isnt really any changes on my application status to mcgill yet... the wait is agonizing :p

how bout yours?
lol. yeah the wait is really agonizing. My status has been on "ready for review" for a long time now. I noticed that if you have good stats and a scholarship, they admit you quickly. What are you stats? Do you know anything about the average stats for MEng (Thesis) for ECE?

Blast

Feb 14, 2013
Same here. There's been no change in my status. Although I know of someone who got an admit to McGill's mechanical engineering M.Eng-Thesis program. I realized that he corresponded with a professor before he applied. In my case, none of the mails I sent to professors were responded to.

bigkahuna

Star Member
Nov 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-12-2012
Med's Request
20-12-2012
Med's Done....
27-12-2012
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
06-02-2013
yankitwizzy said:
lol. yeah the wait is really agonizing. My status has been on "ready for review" for a long time now. I noticed that if you have good stats and a scholarship, they admit you quickly. What are you stats? Do you know anything about the average stats for MEng (Thesis) for ECE?
I just contacted the graduate coordinator in the department I am applying for, they said they will send out notifications within this month!... more agonizing wait! :p

I am applying for PhD in Biological sciences, and had been in contact with a prof. I applied for a fellowship, but still pending in decision. I am not sure, maybe they are still waiting if I will get a secured fund before they finally decide what to do with me! LOL :p

yankitwizzy

Feb 28, 2013
bigkahuna said:
I just contacted the graduate coordinator in the department I am applying for, they said they will send out notifications within this month!... more agonizing wait! :p

I am applying for PhD in Biological sciences, and had been in contact with a prof. I applied for a fellowship, but still pending in decision. I am not sure, maybe they are still waiting if I will get a secured fund before they finally decide what to do with me! LOL :p
Did the prof promise you anything? Did he conduct an interview for you?

yankitwizzy

Feb 28, 2013
Blast said:
Same here. There's been no change in my status. Although I know of someone who got an admit to McGill's mechanical engineering M.Eng-Thesis program. I realized that he corresponded with a professor before he applied. In my case, none of the mails I sent to professors were responded to.
The fellow that got admission into Mechanical Engineering. did his status on Minerva change from "Ready for Review" to something else before he got the admission? Does he have funding? Do you know his stats?

Please what are your own stats?

bigkahuna

Star Member
Nov 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-12-2012
Med's Request
20-12-2012
Med's Done....
27-12-2012
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
06-02-2013
yankitwizzy said:
Did the prof promise you anything? Did he conduct an interview for you?
hi, the prof. actually have some offer (scholarships, TA/RA etc), but I prefer an external fellowship. We just made tons of email exchanges and a very casual skype conversation.

oh by the way, I still got no results from the admissions office and my minerva status is still on "ready for review"... wtf!

Blast

Feb 14, 2013
yankitwizzy said:
The fellow that got admission into Mechanical Engineering. did his status on Minerva change from "Ready for Review" to something else before he got the admission? Does he have funding? Do you know his stats?

Please what are your own stats?
Sorry I'm responding now. I do not know about the mechanical guy's minerva status. Yes he had full funding before he applied, and graduated with first class honors in Mechanical Engineering. I do not know his exact GPA.

These are my stats:

Undergrad GPA converted to a 4.0 scale: 3.62/4
Last two years GPA: 3.94/4
GRE: 163V, 166Q, 4.5AWA.
TOEFL: N/A. I'm from an English speaking country.
Research Experience: None. I only did a project in my final year of undergraduate studies.

yankitwizzy

Feb 28, 2013
Blast said:
Sorry I'm responding now. I do not know about the mechanical guy's minerva status. Yes he had full funding before he applied, and graduated with first class honors in Mechanical Engineering. I do not know his exact GPA.

These are my stats:

Undergrad GPA converted to a 4.0 scale: 3.62/4
Last two years GPA: 3.94/4
GRE: 163V, 166Q, 4.5AWA.
TOEFL: N/A. I'm from an English speaking country.
Research Experience: None. I only did a project in my final year of undergraduate studies.
Hmmmm. You sound Nigerian