+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

May my husband travel with me to Canada? I have a study permit approved

iaredi

Star Member
Oct 1, 2018
Hi guys, I am a little bit confused and it would help a lot if some of you have experience in this.

I already have my student visa approval (not the visa yet, I will get it once I travel to Canada on December 28th) and my husband wants to come with me to help me settle down in the country. We are from México so we do not need a visitor visa, just the ETA (he already has it).

Reading the Canadian official web page I fount this:

If immediate family members want to be with you in Canada
Your immediate family members may be able to come with you to Canada.

If they travel with you
They don’t need a written authorization from IRCC to travel with you. However, they must show that their reasons for travel are non-discretionary (non-optional). For example, they’ll help you get established and support you in Canada.

If your immediate family member will study or work in Canada
You must submit all of your applications together when you apply online.

If they won’t study or work
They may still need an electronic travel authorization (eTA) or a visitor visa to travel to Canada.

If they need a visitor visa, you should include their application when you apply online for your study permit.

If they need an eTA, they must apply for one separately. Make sure they follow the special instructions on how to apply for an eTA at this time.

If they join you later
If you’re already in Canada or will travel to Canada by yourself first and your family will join you later, what they need to travel to Canada depends on where they’re traveling from. Find out what they need to join you in Canada. They may also need an eTA or a visitor visa to travel to Canada.
You can find the complete info here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/students.html

The idea is to flight together, but I called the Border Information Service to confirm that my husband can come with me and they stayed NO, but I felt like the information they handle is a little bit old. I think that the info above is very clear.

Does anybody have information about this? I won't buy my husband's tickets in vain.
And also, do you know how to demonstrate that he is coming to help me to settle down? we couldn't think of valid proofs.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Based on current rules, he should be able to enter. As for support, because he can’t work, can you show high level of funds? Will he have return ticket to say he is coming to get you set up and return home?

iaredi

Star Member
Oct 1, 2018
Based on current rules, he should be able to enter. As for support, because he can’t work, can you show high level of funds? Will he have return ticket to say he is coming to get you set up and return home?
We could demonstrate de 4,000 CAD they ask for a year of living for an additional family member, and we haven't bought the tickets but yeah, we could buy a round ticket, that is a good idea.

utojamepark

Star Member
Apr 8, 2020
We could demonstrate de 4,000 CAD they ask for a year of living for an additional family member, and we haven't bought the tickets but yeah, we could buy a round ticket, that is a good idea.
I thought visitor visa / ETA can stay 6 months at most, so booking a return ticket for your spouse in advance is a must just in case they ask for it.
I am not sure if CBSA prefers visitors with longer stay or short stay, that's why I still haven't booked my return ticket.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
4 thousand is not a lot especially if you have to pay to quarantine for 14 days. Showing that you have travel medical insurance covering covid plus a return ticket would increase your chances but he could be refused entry in Canada if you can only show 4k. Do you have separate funds? 4k is not going to go far? What about quarantine? Your housing? Due to covid finding a part-time job may be difficult.

iaredi

Star Member
Oct 1, 2018
4 thousand is not a lot especially if you have to pay to quarantine for 14 days. Showing that you have travel medical insurance covering covid plus a return ticket would increase your chances but he could be refused entry in Canada if you can only show 4k. Do you have separate funds? 4k is not going to go far? What about quarantine? Your housing? Due to covid finding a part-time job may be difficult.
This is the quantity they ask you to demonstrate if somebody is accompanying you to Canada, I have my own account with 25k, making a total of 29k. We could have separate accounts or we can show a common account, what would be better?. About the quarantine, I will rent a temporary place for 3 weeks to arrive and then we are going to move to a long term apartment because I want to visit the places in person before making a rent contract for 1 year.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
This is the quantity they ask you to demonstrate if somebody is accompanying you to Canada, I have my own account with 25k, making a total of 29k. We could have separate accounts or we can show a common account, what would be better?. About the quarantine, I will rent a temporary place for 3 weeks to arrive and then we are going to move to a long term apartment because I want to visit the places in person before making a rent contract for 1 year.
Times are different due to covid. You have to pay for quarantine, deliveries, etc. unless you school provides these things, having health insurance is very important if the province doesn't cover you for at at least covid and unemployment rates are much higher so people need to be prepared for a tough time getting a job.

iaredi

Star Member
Oct 1, 2018
Times are different due to covid. You have to pay for quarantine, deliveries, etc. unless you school provides these things, having health insurance is very important if the province doesn't cover you for at at least covid and unemployment rates are much higher so people need to be prepared for a tough time getting a job.
Yeah, but even though times are different, I only proved the 10 k in my student visa application for living expenses and it was accepted. I suppose it depends on the officer that checks the documents.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yeah, but even though times are different, I only proved the 10 k in my student visa application for living expenses and it was accepted. I suppose it depends on the officer that checks the documents.
If you only have 10K you will need to be very careful with your spending until you know you have a part-time job that will give you consistent hours and be prepared for any potential lockdowns.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
What is required and what things actually cost are very different. 10K is unlikely to cover living expenses either. Especially with the added cost of quarantine your budget will not go very far.

iaredi

Star Member
Oct 1, 2018
What is required and what things actually cost are very different. 10K is unlikely to cover living expenses either. Especially with the added cost of quarantine your budget will not go very far.
I increased my savings, I'm just telling the quantity I proved in my application since you are saying that will not be enough for the officers. I am a computer systems engineer, I can work from home without problems =)!. In addition, I am from Mexico, I don't need much to live, I will be just fine ^^!. Thanks for your concerns, you are very kind.

jackie9493

Jul 27, 2019
According to IRCC website, if your husband has a TRV or eTA then he will be permitted to travel with you. But if he plans to travel at a later date after your arrival to Canada then he needs a written authorization in order to be permitted to board a plane.