+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

May I return to Canada? How?

monicahi

Apr 10, 2023
If a PR is in Canada and already has provincial health care and/or a DL before the card expires, they will not lose either one just because their card expires. It's a person that does NOT have either and does not have a valid PR Card, that would have problems.
and one more thing.

My pr card type is FC1

I was sponsored by my ex-husband, but we divorced later. I don't know whether they will take this into judgement

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I was told that we can live as a permanent resident if I'm allowed to enter by using landing paper to renew healthcare card and dealing with life
Who is “we”? Your child is not PR and will not be until you meet RO and can sponsor your child. Your child would be a visitor. Is your child accompanying you? Do you have full custody?

monicahi

Apr 10, 2023
Who is “we”? Your child is not PR and will not be until you meet RO and can sponsor your child. Your child would be a visitor. Is your child accompanying you? Do you have full custody?
Yes, I understand. "We”,I mean people like me who have expired card can renew health card by using landing paper.

Yes, I have full custody. I do not sure whether my kid can got a visitor visa or not. If I apply a visa for my kid, they will find my pr status in their system. If so, maybe I choose to go first, and then apply visitor visa for her.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Yes, I understand. "We”,I mean people like me who have expired card can renew health card by using landing paper.

Yes, I have full custody. I do not sure whether my kid can got a visitor visa or not. If I apply a visa for my kid, they will find my pr status in their system. If so, maybe I choose to go first, and then apply visitor visa for her.
Your landing papers are only valid for the first year as identification. After that, you need a PR card. If you child can't get a trv, you are looking at 2 year before you could even begin the sponsorship process.

Reactions: canuck78

monicahi

Apr 10, 2023
Your landing papers are only valid for the first year as identification. After that, you need a PR card. If you child can't get a trv, you are looking at 2 year before you could even begin the sponsorship process.
Yes, this is the most heartbreaking result if my kid can't get a trv.

Sounds like it's not a good choice. Maybe it would be better to reapply.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Yes, this is the most heartbreaking result if my kid can't get a trv.

Sounds like it's not a good choice. Maybe it would be better to reapply.
If you want your child to come with you then apply for the child’s TRV for Canada and the US and see if approved. Child would need both if crossing with you over US border. Assume you have US visa too. Given you are PR (and out of status), being approved may be difficult. You will have to show that you have full custody, and have consent from parent that child can leave the country. If you have a court order saying your child can leave the country without consent then you are okay.

Your child will not have access to health/social services so make sure the child has private health insurance for a few years.

furrukhrao

Jun 13, 2015
EXACTLY why they should NOT apply for a PRTD, because if it is denied, that means the PR will lose their PR status (unless they win an appeal).
At least by entering from the US at a land PoE, they are allowed to enter Canada and if issued the 44(1) can remain in Canada pending the appeal.
It depends most probably the appeal will fail as well but taking a chance is better.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
That certainly seems to be true for someone like the OP, that has not been in Canada and does not currently have a valid health card.

A person that is in Canada, has health coverage and does not have a valid PR Card, doesn't lose their existing coverage because of having an expired PR Card.
If the person has been out of Canada for a certain amount of time and has not met the residency requirement to receive healthcare in that province will need to reapply for a new healthcard. A valid healthcard does not mean you qualify for health coverage. You must meet the residency requirement to qualify for healthcare in the province and have a valid health card. If you don’t have a valid PR card and need to reapply for a health card yes that may be a problem. You could be asked to prove that you were a resident in the province if you have had no activity on your health card for a period of time.

Reactions: Ponga

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you want your child to come with you then apply for the child’s TRV for Canada and the US and see if approved. Child would need both if crossing with you over US border. Assume you have US visa too. Given you are PR (and out of status), being approved may be difficult. You will have to show that you have full custody, and have consent from parent that child can leave the country. If you have a court order saying your child can leave the country without consent then you are okay.

Your child will not have access to health/social services so make sure the child has private health insurance for a few years.
In some areas they won’t have access to schooling without a study permit and paying international fees for public school.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I do not meet the re

yes, my concern is the success rate of this method. I know I could enter Canada, but if they issue me a removal order, I do not know whether I could win the appeal. If not, the time is wasted. If the result is so, I'd rather renounce the pr and reapply. It's hard to make a choice.
If you're not confident that you could win an appeal, you might want to seriously consider renouncing and reapplying. Coming back to Canada and having to leave soon thereafter because your status has been revoked, would not be fun...or inexpensive.

I'm by no means an expert, but being away for so long, combined with your own doubts, carries a lot of weight.

Good luck!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
If you're not confident that you could win an appeal, you might want to seriously consider renouncing and reapplying. Coming back to Canada and having to leave soon thereafter because your status has been revoked, would not be fun...or inexpensive.

I'm by no means an expert, but being away for so long, combined with your own doubts, carries a lot of weight.

Good luck!
Also to consider is whether OP would get ITA for PR based on her profile after renouncing PR. So if not close to getting an ITA she has to consider that too. Also has to consider that her child would not be approved for a TRV to the US and Canada. Child has a high chance of refusal. Would OP come to Canada without the child and wait years to be reunited?

Reactions: Ponga

Mpup87

Jan 7, 2017
I have a very different situation.
I have spent a total of 11 months in Canada after I landed as PR. I came back to Canada in June Last year and applied for renewal of my PR card in July 2022 on H&R Grounds (specifying my wives medical treatment being underway in home country) and her spousal application taking long time.
My gc key says application received on 21 july 2022. After that i am yet to receive any update. Now after waiting for that long I am planning to return to Canada via land border .
what are the possible scenarios I can witness and what I need to say to the immigration officer at the port of entry . My wife has a Valid PR Card and she would be travelling with me.
Thank you

monicahi

Apr 10, 2023

I used to have US visa for 10 years, but it is also expired. I need to reapply

monicahi

Apr 10, 2023

Good luck!
I'm not confident with the result of appeal.
I'm also not confident with reapplication.
It's a dilemma.