+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

May I return to Canada? How?

monicahi

Apr 10, 2023
Hi, my case is a little bit complicated. Would you please give me some advice?

I was sponsored by my ex-husband to Canada in 2008, we lived together in Canada for 3 years, but during the years in Canada, our relationship got cooler and cooler, maybe due to the great living pressure or sth others, I don't want to say some bad words of my ex-husband, the result is that I went back my home country alone with a broken heart in 2011. Then he went back soon, and we got divorced in our home country in 2011.

My PR card expired in 2014.

Recently, I've heard from others a saying that expired pr card doesn't mean losing pr identity. So now I wanna return Canada by entering US border.

My questions is : As a sponsored pr, may I return to Canada? and Is it possible that I enter Canada without being issue a remove order at US border?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
My questions is : As a sponsored pr, may I return to Canada? and Is it possible that I enter Canada without being issue a remove order at US border?
You will need a PR card to board a plane to Canada or have to apply for a PRTD.

If you can travel to USA, yes, you can present at a border. You may be issued a removal order but will be allowed to enter and can appeal the order and remain in Canada while the appeal goes on.

No-one can tell you chances but you should expect that after 10 yrs + out of Canada, there is a relatively high likelihood you'd be refused/lose an appeal.

Also note, if let in to Canada, you won't have a PR card and may have dififculties with things like health care, SIN, etc. It is not an easy process.

furrukhrao

Jun 13, 2015
Hi, my case is a little bit complicated. Would you please give me some advice?

I was sponsored by my ex-husband to Canada in 2008, we lived together in Canada for 3 years, but during the years in Canada, our relationship got cooler and cooler, maybe due to the great living pressure or sth others, I don't want to say some bad words of my ex-husband, the result is that I went back my home country alone with a broken heart in 2011. Then he went back soon, and we got divorced in our home country in 2011.

My PR card expired in 2014.

Recently, I've heard from others a saying that expired pr card doesn't mean losing pr identity. So now I wanna return Canada by entering US border.

Safe : Apply for a PRTD and travel into Canada.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
How do you think a PR that left Canada 12 years ago, whose PR Card expired 9 years ago...would be approved for a PRTD? It would almost certainly be denied, without compelling H&C grounds AND that would mean that the PR's status would be gone very soon after (maybe simultaneously).

The only obvious option for the OP is to follow the suggestion from @armoured to, if possible, enter from the U.S. at a land PoE, but as they also mention...living for two years without health care, a DL, etc., would NOT be easy.

meghashyam75

Star Member
Dec 20, 2015
How do you think a PR that left Canada 12 years ago, whose PR Card expired 9 years ago...would be approved for a PRTD? It would almost certainly be denied, without compelling H&C grounds AND that would mean that the PR's status would be gone very soon after (maybe simultaneously).

The only obvious option for the OP is to follow the suggestion from @armoured to, if possible, enter from the U.S. at a land PoE, but as they also mention...living for two years without health care, a DL, etc., would NOT be easy.
How can one avail health care with an expired PR card?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
How can one avail health care with an expired PR card?
If a PR is in Canada and already has provincial health care and/or a DL before the card expires, they will not lose either one just because their card expires. It's a person that does NOT have either and does not have a valid PR Card, that would have problems.

Reactions: bricksonly

furrukhrao

Jun 13, 2015

Once he will apply for PRTD with H&C consideration he will know his status.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Once he will apply for PRTD with H&C consideration he will know his status.
EXACTLY why they should NOT apply for a PRTD, because if it is denied, that means the PR will lose their PR status (unless they win an appeal).
At least by entering from the US at a land PoE, they are allowed to enter Canada and if issued the 44(1) can remain in Canada pending the appeal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Naturgrl

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If a PR is in Canada and already has provincial health care and/or a DL before the card expires, they will not lose either one just because their card expires. It's a person that does NOT have either and does not have a valid PR Card, that would have problems.
If a person enters Canada with an expired PR card in most provinces they will not be able to apply for a health card. Most who get waived through have to wait until they have met their ROand received a new PR card before applying for a new health card. If you could apply with an old PR card that is expired there is no guarantee that the person is still a PR.

The only benefit of applying for PRTD via H&C is that you know whether you will be able to remain in Canada longterm. If you are leaving a stable job, a home, etc. that is a big risk for many people. If you don’t get reported at the border you’ll want to remain in Canada for 2-3 years until you have a valid PR card so you can’t just return home to sell your stuff and give notice at a job after knowing you were able to enter Canada without getting reported.

Reactions: meghashyam75

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If a person enters Canada with an expired PR card in most provinces they will not be able to apply for a health card. Most who get waived through have to wait until they have met their ROand received a new PR card before applying for a new health card. If you could apply with an old PR card that is expired there is no guarantee that the person is still a PR.

The only benefit of applying for PRTD via H&C is that you know whether you will be able to remain in Canada longterm. If you are leaving a stable job, a home, etc. that is a big risk for many people. If you don’t get reported at the border you’ll want to remain in Canada for 2-3 years until you have a valid PR card so you can’t just return home to sell your stuff and give notice at a job after knowing you were able to enter Canada without getting reported.
That certainly seems to be true for someone like the OP, that has not been in Canada and does not currently have a valid health card.

A person that is in Canada, has health coverage and does not have a valid PR Card, doesn't lose their existing coverage because of having an expired PR Card.

monicahi

Apr 10, 2023
You will need a PR card to board a plane to Canada or have to apply for a PRTD.

If you can travel to USA, yes, you can present at a border. You may be issued a removal order but will be allowed to enter and can appeal the order and remain in Canada while the appeal goes on.

No-one can tell you chances but you should expect that after 10 yrs + out of Canada, there is a relatively high likelihood you'd be refused/lose an appeal.

Also note, if let in to Canada, you won't have a PR card and may have dififculties with things like health care, SIN, etc. It is not an easy process.
Yes, u r right.

The high risk do exist that I waste 1-2 years on appeal, but failed at last. This is the point I really concern.

monicahi

Apr 10, 2023
I do not meet the re

yes, my concern is the success rate of this method. I know I could enter Canada, but if they issue me a removal order, I do not know whether I could win the appeal. If not, the time is wasted. If the result is so, I'd rather renounce the pr and reapply. It's hard to make a choice.