+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

May I landed or transferred to Montreal

drregmi

Oct 11, 2009
I have applied for FSW and expecting the final determination. I have mentioned in my application to be settled in Toronto but I have a friend in Montreal who wants me to be settled in Montreal instead of Toronto.

I want to know the probability about settling in Montreal . May I directly go to Montreal or not?

If not, how long should I wait to go to Montreal after landing in Toranto?

Thank you very much for sharing your valuable time and experience.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You should land somewhere outside of Quebec, stay at least long enough to get your SIN card in the mail (couple of weeks) and then move.

SD

Star Member
Jan 24, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Leon and anyone else who might want to comment,

We applied for FSW and recieved our PR. We were trying to get a transfer via our local branch to the Toronto / Calgary branch and unfortunately they can only offer us a job in the Montreal branch.

We now need to live and work in Montreal atleast for the next couple of years.

Can we land in Toronto and then move to Montreal in a couple of weeks?

What formalities must we complete in Toronto and what formalities can we complete after arriving in Montreal?

Please advise urgently?

Thanks!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Apply for your SIN card first and then move. It should be ok. If anybody asks, you can say that you had full intentions of not living in Quebec but you got a Quebec job offer so what can you do.

SD

Star Member
Jan 24, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks Leon, any idea how long that takes? Anything else we need to apply for before we move to Montreal?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SD said:
Thanks Leon, any idea how long that takes? Anything else we need to apply for before we move to Montreal?
Since you are officially not supposed to apply for FSW and then move to Quebec, you should basically act like you are staying in ON. Take care of what you would do if you were staying in ON. Maybe nobody will ever ask you about this later but if they did, it helps to have a paper trail showing that when you arrived in ON, you acted like you were planning on staying rather than having it look like you were on vacation and waited to do everything until you came to Quebec.

You will get the SIN number right away but the card you will get in the mail in 1-2 weeks. You can also open a bank account. Check on getting a drivers license. Health care you can't get because there is a 3 month waiting period for that.