+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

May 2022 Spousal Sponsorship Outland and Inland - Paper/Online

ericansm

Jul 26, 2022
No problem! We just got his OWP in the mail today, so hopefully it won't be much longer for yours ^-^
Hi! Thanks so much for your sharing! I am a newbie and I am still trying to sort out how to get my husband legal status to work in Canada ASAP. It's amazing that your OWP got approved in 2 months only!!!!! We thought it would take 5 months at least.

You mentioned you applied inland and application was received on May 28, may I know if you used the paper format? If so, when exactly did you send it out? (wanted to see how long it takes for them to actually receive the documents).

Many thanks in advance!!!!

mapple007

Oct 2, 2020
Thank you for your reply.
She came with Visitor Visa and in August will be 6 months, I thought since she has work permit now, no need to extend her stay as visitor.
I will keep her application for extending her stay as visitor also in process.
Thanks again
Since your wife has a work permit now, you can withdraw the visitor record application and hopefully get a refund of the processing fee if processing for that application hasn't begun.

Quoted from Canada.ca website below:
"Application not processed
Fees for service shall be refunded if an application has not been processed and when the client has formally indicated that they wish to withdraw the application or when the client has decided not to submit the application."

A work permit and a visitor record are the same type of documents, i.e., status documents. They both allow your wife to remain in Canada within the timeframe specified but doesn't allow her to enter Canada. For entering Canada, she would need a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV), which I assume she already has. Extending her visitor status doesn't extend the validity of her TRV, but it will grant her a visitor record, which is redundant given she's already got the work permit.

RemiPuppy

Star Member
Feb 25, 2022
Hi! Thanks so much for your sharing! I am a newbie and I am still trying to sort out how to get my husband legal status to work in Canada ASAP. It's amazing that your OWP got approved in 2 months only!!!!! We thought it would take 5 months at least.

You mentioned you applied inland and application was received on May 28, may I know if you used the paper format? If so, when exactly did you send it out? (wanted to see how long it takes for them to actually receive the documents).

Many thanks in advance!!!!
We mailed the documents on the 25th of May, but weren't smart enough to ask for tracking! It shouldn't take more than a week, we just mailed them through the post office, no couriers or anything.

RemiPuppy

Star Member
Feb 25, 2022
Thank you for your reply.
She came with Visitor Visa and in August will be 6 months, I thought since she has work permit now, no need to extend her stay as visitor.
I will keep her application for extending her stay as visitor also in process.
Thanks again
What Mapple007 said is actually true, my apologies for the incorrect information before! Still learning what it all means and whatnot.

So from what information I could figure out (they never make it easy, do they?) the visa allows entry into Canada, while the work permit allows working (and I guess staying) in Canada for the specified period of time. If you wanted to leave Canada and return before the PR is processed, then you will need the visa extension.

RemiPuppy

Star Member
Feb 25, 2022
Just received our Invitation to Pre-Arrival Services today! Judging from what past folks have said, it's just around the corner for decision made, so fingers and toes all crossed~

Reactions: lolo2022

jm101

Star Member
May 13, 2019
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Montreal
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
23-02-2021
VISA ISSUED...
24-08-2021
LANDED..........
24-08-2021

mv1017

Star Member
Oct 31, 2019
Hello All,

Just wanted to post my timeline and had a question

Spousal Sponsorship(Paper based, Outside Canada from Philippines, No children)
Application Received: May 16th 2022
AOR: July 21st 2022
Biometrics Request: July 29th 2022
Medical Request: August 2nd 2022
Biometrics Completed: August 2nd 2022
Sponsorship Eligibility Pass: August 2nd 2022

I received an email from VFS Global saying that my Visa Application tracking ID has been received and they attached an invoice (e-ICR) for my record and reference. What is this email particularly about? Does this mean my application has been sent to the Visa office in the Philippines?

Thanks!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I received an email from VFS Global saying that my Visa Application tracking ID has been received and they attached an invoice (e-ICR) for my record and reference. What is this email particularly about? Does this mean my application has been sent to the Visa office in the Philippines?
Given that you just gave biometrics, presumably at VFS, I'm going to guess it means that you've a file number with them. I believe in most cases paying for biometrics for a spousal app means that you have paid for the fees (some of them anyway) for the eventual passport submission - so that invoice would presumably be your way to show this.

Of course, it's only a guess. If you get other correspondence contradicting my guess - well, then I guessed wrong.

mv1017

Star Member
Oct 31, 2019
Given that you just gave biometrics, presumably at VFS, I'm going to guess it means that you've a file number with them. I believe in most cases paying for biometrics for a spousal app means that you have paid for the fees (some of them anyway) for the eventual passport submission - so that invoice would presumably be your way to show this.

Of course, it's only a guess. If you get other correspondence contradicting my guess - well, then I guessed wrong.
Hello,

It does seem like it's an invoice for that. I contacted our representative in case we need to comply to anything within a certain time frame.

Thanks for your help!

Rany88

Nov 11, 2021
Since your wife has a work permit now, you can withdraw the visitor record application and hopefully get a refund of the processing fee if processing for that application hasn't begun.

Quoted from Canada.ca website below:
"Application not processed
Fees for service shall be refunded if an application has not been processed and when the client has formally indicated that they wish to withdraw the application or when the client has decided not to submit the application."

A work permit and a visitor record are the same type of documents, i.e., status documents. They both allow your wife to remain in Canada within the timeframe specified but doesn't allow her to enter Canada. For entering Canada, she would need a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV), which I assume she already has. Extending her visitor status doesn't extend the validity of her TRV, but it will grant her a visitor record, which is redundant given she's already got the work permit.
Thank you very much for your kind comment. She came with visitor visa and her visa expired, but she maintain her stay with her OWP letter, I will withdraw her application from extending her stay as a visitor. Thanks a bunch!