+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Maximum Duration of working outside of Canada for Canadian Organization on PR status and it's implications

May 10, 2020
Hi Good Day,

I was wondering if anyone having Permanent Resident status for how long or how many maximum days in a year can work for a Canadian Organization as a normal worker while living outside of Canada if the organization allows to do so. This is in light that many organization nowadays allows work from anywhere policy if the person would be paying taxes deducted at source from salary earned, the salary would be credited in Canadian Bank and the person would even file the Tax Returns for Canada as would for any working individual working inside Canada.

This would be helpful to people whose families aren't united and accompanying yet and they are working out to details and the situation requires the person in Canada to go out of Canada for some time of the year or whole year. If the work organization allows the person to work from outside Canada, would it be any issue to the working person in regards to Canadian Permanent Residency, Taxation, Benefits?

A big thanks for any suggestion/references/advices in advance.

Reactions: AyseY

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi Good Day,

I was wondering if anyone having Permanent Resident status for how long or how many maximum days in a year can work for a Canadian Organization as a normal worker while living outside of Canada if the organization allows to do so. This is in light that many organization nowadays allows work from anywhere policy if the person would be paying taxes deducted at source from salary earned, the salary would be credited in Canadian Bank and the person would even file the Tax Returns for Canada as would for any working individual working inside Canada.

This would be helpful to people whose families aren't united and accompanying yet and they are working out to details and the situation requires the person in Canada to go out of Canada for some time of the year or whole year. If the work organization allows the person to work from outside Canada, would it be any issue to the working person in regards to Canadian Permanent Residency, Taxation, Benefits?

If you don’t want to maintain your residency obligations as PR, you can work outside Canada for a Canadian company as long as your want. If you want to maintain RO then you need to work in Canada. Paying taxes in Canada doesn’t maintain RO.

Does your family have PR? Are you planning to sponsor them since you need to be in Canada?

Last edited:
May 10, 2020
If you don’t want to maintain your residency obligations as PR, you can work outside Canada for a Canadian company as long as your want. If you want to maintain RO then you need to work in Canada. Paying taxes in Canada doesn’t maintain RO.

Does your family have PR? Are you planning to sponsor them since you need to be in Canada?
Thanks for your reply. I want to maintain residency obligations which requires me to reside at least 2 years in 5 year period post PR. The thought is if I need to stay outside for some time for now, whether I can do so for a whole year or not or what's the maximum time I can think of for such arrangement. Ultimately I do not want to do such kind of arrangement and want to continue living over here. My family do not have PR currently and yes I am planning to sponsor them but once I am able to spend long time over here.

Please let me know your views.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thanks for your reply. I want to maintain residency obligations which requires me to reside at least 2 years in 5 year period post PR. The thought is if I need to stay outside for some time for now, whether I can do so for a whole year or not or what's the maximum time I can think of for such arrangement. Ultimately I do not want to do such kind of arrangement and want to continue living over here. My family do not have PR currently and yes I am planning to sponsor them but once I am able to spend long time over here.

Please let me know your views.
I don’t know how many days you have spent in Canada or when your PR expires. To sponsor your family, you must be living in Canada and meeting RO to do so. At some point, you have to decide when you are going to move to Canada and then sponsor them.

May 10, 2020
I don’t know how many days you have spent in Canada or when your PR expires. To sponsor your family, you must be living in Canada and meeting RO to do so. At some point, you have to decide when you are going to move to Canada and then sponsor them.
I have received CO-PR and would be receiving the PR card in coming months. So from obligation point of view my 2 year minimum residence period is yet to start.
I agree that to sponsor anyone I need to be present in Canada, but that I would like to defer for now.
So if I want to just spend some time away due to some situation and then can plan to return back for good I am just not sure how much does the legalities allow.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I have received CO-PR and would be receiving the PR card in coming months. So from obligation point of view my 2 year minimum residence period is yet to start.
I agree that to sponsor anyone I need to be present in Canada, but that I would like to defer for now.
So if I want to just spend some time away due to some situation and then can plan to return back for good I am just not sure how much does the legalities allow.
So you have landed and started your residency obligations. You must meet RO to maintain PR. To keep your permanent resident status, you must live in Canada for at least 730 days over the next five years. However you don’t want to wait too long, come to Canada, be unable to meet RO and then try to sponsor family.

May 10, 2020
So you have landed and started your residency obligations. You must meet RO to maintain PR. To keep your permanent resident status, you must live in Canada for at least 730 days over the next five years. However you don’t want to wait too long, come to Canada, be unable to meet RO and then try to sponsor family.
So you have landed and started your residency obligations. You must meet RO to maintain PR. To keep your permanent resident status, you must live in Canada for at least 730 days over the next five year
Yes this is correct and I understand that I would have to atleast spend 2 years to continue. May be I will spend all 5 years if the situation allows.

However you don’t want to wait too long, come to Canada, be unable to meet RO and then try to sponsor family.
I couldn't understand this point.

I can delay family sponsorship to start or start living for long.
I am more or less confused that let's say I complete my PR process get my card and stay for a month let's say in Canada, for how long can I stay away initially out of Canada from legalities and taxation point of view while working on permanent basis for my Canadian organisation if the organization allows it to do so?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Yes this is correct and I understand that I would have to atleast spend 2 years to continue. May be I will spend all 5 years if the situation allows.

I am more or less confused that let's say I complete my PR process get my card and stay for a month let's say in Canada, for how long can I stay away initially out of Canada from legalities and taxation point of view while working on permanent basis for my Canadian organisation if the organization allows it to do so?
Again, you can stay outside Canada as long as you like. You aren’t a tax resident and working for a Canadian company makes not different. The issue is that you must spend at least 730 days in Canada over the next 5 years. It is rolling so if you stay outside Canada for a few years and return,, you will not make RO my PR expiry. Then when you come to Canada you don’t want to sponsor your family or may trigger your removal for not meeting RO. So whatever you do you don’t want to start sponsorship process if you are not going to meet RO.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

It sounds like you want to count the time you spend working outside of Canada for a Canadian company towards PR. Is that correct? If so, there are several requirements that need to be met in order for you to be able to count this time. Here are the key points:

- Your company must transfer you to a temporary role with their operations outside of Canada. This means that to be able to count the time, you must first be working for the Canadian company in Canada and then at a later date, that company must transfer you to a different role that is outside of Canada and with their operations in the country where you will be moving.
- This also means that working remotely outside of Canada does not count. So if you simply move outside of Canada but continue working the same job remotely from outside of Canada, this will not count towards the residency requirement. This will count as time outside of Canada.

Overall, you can remain outside of Canada for up to three years without putting your PR status in jeopardy. If you remain outside of Canada for 3 years, you would then need to return to Canada and remain in Canada without leaving for 2 years straight to meet the residency obligation.

mirzanadeem

Star Member
Feb 15, 2023
pakstan
Category........
Other
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
1986 04 04
Hi Good Day,

how r u sira how to apply me